Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help with friends MISSING 96 turbo civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with friends MISSING 96 turbo civic

Ok this is what i know about the car: It's a 96 civic ex, looks to be running a turbo kit off ebay (turbo seals are starting to leak a bit), the motor in it though is a 1.5 instead of a 1.6( have no idea why), the tranny in the car is out of a 95 ex i believe(found out the hard way buy ordering wrong shift fork when he broke it in which they are aluminum).

The car is running a 8lbs exact no more or below. Waste gate i'm not sure of brand, and has a greddy bov. I have no clue as to how it's been tuned or neither does he since he baught it off a car lot. In which they got it from the auction more than likely.

Now i know about running boost on other platforms but not a honda. I currently own a 95 trans am with a 391 stroker with a d1sc procharger that i tuned myself with hptuners. This was the main reason he came to me.

Now things i noticed: The engine harness is all hacked on with wires tied in with butt splices every where. The main thing i noticed is the have the o2 sensor wires cut and not hooked up, map sensor wires have been cut. It has what looks to be a resitor box tied into the injector harness in and does have bigger injectors. The car has to have some kind of tuning or atleast i think so. Due to the fact it has a 2 step rev limiter which i believe is 5500 at a stop and 7500 when moving. The pcm looks to have the pinouts changed around but it might be how hondas are wired.

Now last month after he decided he wanted to do a burnout to 3rd gear for some reason messing up a cv axle and breaking a motor mount. It devolped a real bad miss. More like it is out of time. Once it gets to around 10psi vaccum it starts chugging and not wanting to rev up at all. Now if you apply slight throttle keeping more than 10 psi vaccum it revs just fine. It also does this with the charge pipes unhooked or hooked up. Now i know you all probably think well if it is tuned for boost and unhooking the charge pipes might make it run worse or not run right.

Well he had a problem at first blowing charge pipes apart in which the car ran fine with them off or on.

At first we changed the plugs to a step colder than stock just for the heck of it and it ran worse. Put new plug wires,cap,coil, and rotor button. Still never helped. I then came to conclusion it has something to do with timing or a dead cyclinder. I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet but it doesn't act like that is the problem. The dead cyclinder deal is the fact that it smokes real bad and even worse after it would come out of boost. I figure the rings are shot which lead me to believe it was tuned but i have no way to find that out with out hooking up my wideband.

Sometime this week i'm going to check the belt and timing to see if it might have jumped timing but i'm not to sure.

On another note he wants me to build the 1.6 not sure if vtec or non that is in his 95 hatch that he rolled (has a motor swap) for above 10lbs and swap it in the black ex. Pick out a good turbo and new intercooler. And when he told me that i told him if it were me that i would swap the engine harness and computer out of the hatch since it had never been hacked on and have it dynoed. Would that harness and pcm work in the 96?

Sorry for long post but i need help with this so i can get it fixed and out of the way. Also i can get pics of anything to hopefully help fix the problem. Any ideas post away
Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Need help with friends MISSING 96 turbo civic

so your talking about a stolen car? how about some pics?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blown95ta391
...Sorry for long post but i need help with this so i can get it fixed and out of the way. Also i can get pics of anything to hopefully help fix the problem. Any ideas post away
so the car isnt "missing"(stolen)
then why are you making your title ..."missing 96 turbo civic"???
Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think bc its misfiring
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by j0keefe21
i think bc its misfiring
duh that makes sense, but the title seems like a stolen thread
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 AM

No the car isn't stolen the car is missing as in misfiring. Sorry for the title. Please no bashing either i want to get it fixed for him so isn't trying to get me to get it fixed every day. And then another reason is i feel bad for him for buying the car not knowing anything about after i told him not too.

I know it is misfiring but i don't know why. But it misfires on every cyclinder or close to it. It honestly acts like when it gets closer to zero vaccum getting ready to go in boost like the timing is retarded to far or advanced. Hence the reason i thought it jumped time. The car has a obd-2 to one conversion from the looks off it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD2-to-OBD1-CONVERSION-HARNESS-HONDA-CIVIC-INTEGRA_W0QQitemZ330298737882QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20090105?IMSfp=TL0901051210009r37842 That is what i meant by the wiring to the pcm being hacked. Because instead of the neat plugs like that it has the soldered style.

What would the pcm say if it was say the hondata or similar. or just a stock computer? Trying to figure out how it's tuned.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 AM

Well i found out the car has a d15b in it according to the block. He or myself didn't even no it was a vtec engine. Mainly due to the fact that it doesn't act like the vtec kicks in at all when it ran right all motor and plus it had a mugen valve cover. When it kept blowing the charge pipes apart. Anyone fimilar with this motor or similar have any ideas why it would be missfiring? Like i said we changed the plugs went a step colder and hotter in ngk. Did have autolites in it. Changed the cap,coil, and rotor button off his 95 hatch that he rolled which has a d16 something it i believe it might be a 1.5 to but the distributer was different.

The car does burn a good bit of oil. Smokes when reved up or driving. But did this when he baught it and it ran fine for 2 months. I'm either thinking its throwing more oil now,timing either belt or computer related.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by blown95ta391; 01-14-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should definitely check the timing first...and think about replacing that spliced harness for a virgin one.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will die when you rev it even its only 1 tooth off...it definitely didnt jump time. it just sounds like a crap turbo kit running on a crap basemap. fyi, sohc vtec only engages on the intake side so its barely audible through the exhaust, that would explain why it would be hard to tell if it was a vtec motor
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go find a virgin wireing harness, Then take it somewere to get tuned... If its a good honda tuner they can tell you if anythings wrong with it. If nothing else try rebuilding it with better parts not ebay crap.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Well i know the vtec isn't working. Due maninly to the fact that the oil pressure sensor isn't hooked up and there is a just a single green wire coming from the vtech siloniod(not two). I'm looking at the car now. The harness looks like a obd1? It has 3 plugs coming from the engine compartment to a adapter to a p06 computer. What would this computer be out of?? I took the cover off the computer and don't see any chip or and sine of anything being hooked to it.

As for being tuned it has to have something done some where. Since it doesn't throw codes. It has a two step limiter 5200 setting still and 7200 once moving. It the speed sensor plug isn't pluged in it will only rev to 5200. Found this out when i had to put a shift fork in the tranny. I threw code for that though.

Right now there is no check engine light and i can't get codes out of the computer with a ob2 reader.. As for another harness has a 95 hatch with a d16 i believe. The guy he baught it from said it was a 16 atleast but it might be the 15. But that motor would tear up the 96 with the d15b motor to motor. And he's wanting to swap that motor in since he rolled the hatch. And rebuild the d15b since the rings are shot.
Can we use the engine harness,computer,and engine out of the hatch in the 96?

I'll go get the engine number later off it but what ever came stock in it will it hold 8 to 10lbs with a new pump,injectors, and good tune? If not he will leave it all motor and while getting the turbo parts.

As for the turbo kit being junk. You got that right. The seals are leaking pretty bad but not causing the problem. Plus it don't get into boost till 5k in first and secound. And about 4500 to 4800 in 3rd through 5th
Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What year and trim is the civic? A p06 is for a 92-95 dx/lx but they're usually used for tuning because they can be converted for vtec and are cheaper than p28s. The motors are good for 8-10 with a tune but they definitely will go bad after a couple years, assuming it wasn't beaten up by the previous owner
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM

The turboed on is suppose to be a 96 ex. His hatch is a 95 with a d15b7. The guy lied to him but the motor is only has around 40,000 to 50,000 miles according to the mechanic that put the motor in his hatch. But the motor only has to last at the most a year. The computer in it is a p06 to but looks to be in a different position. Another ? how did they keep the computer from throwing codes with no o2 and such. Have a 2 step limiter with a limit of 7200? If it isn't chipped? I had the cover off and i seen no sign of the computer ever being messed with.

Here is some pics of what i mean by the black turboed one. Sorry for shity pics but all i had on me was my cell. Also the oil on the motor came from him breaking his oil pressure hose for his gauge the other day.
Here is the engine number

Here is some of the wiring mess.. Trust me its about 5 times worse on the backside of the intake manifold.

Here is a pic were they have what looks to be a resitor box installed.

Here's the box thing

Injectors all i know is they are all silver. Never had them out

The computer adapter

The computer number

And the car.. Anyone seen it around? The front bumper is cracked about 10inchs from a dear so the bumper hangs down.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM

O also the car misfires with the charge pipe hooked up or unhooked. On top of that it starts missing as soon as you give it more gas that like 1/8 throttle at any rpm before boost. So in a way i don't see it being on a stock tune problem but if it was it could have caused what ever is wrong now.

I wonder if it might have blew the head gasket or its leaking? I had similar problems after i built the motor in the t/a due to my cosmetic gaskets leaking. And would only miss if i tried to give it gas. Anyone had similar problems like that?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

all i can say is run as far away from that hacked up mess of its former self and dont look back!!! your a good friend for trying to help tho, no way in hell i would want to touch that mess
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. its an obd2 car with a chipped obd1 ecu and a stepdown harness to use the obd1 ecu...obd2 ecus cant be chipped.

2. i see a mitsu logo on that resistor box so im assuming those are dsm 440cc injectors, stock civic injectors are 240cc, they dont work too well with boost

3. the engine is obd1 so the engine harness is probably modified for different iat, evap purge...and if the previous own was stupid...its been rerwired for obd1 alternator and distributor

are you sure thats an ex? it looks like a dx. check the 4th/5th/6th vin digits

ej6=dx
ej8=ex

if its a dx, then the harness would be modified for a 2wire iacv and vtec before it plugs into the stepdown harness for the ecu.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by z395civic
all i can say is run as far away from that hacked up mess of its former self and dont look back!!! your a good friend for trying to help tho, no way in hell i would want to touch that mess
It's his only ride after he rolled the hatch. Bad thing is i just put the kit on it(plus molded everything) and painted it viper blue with blue,red and green pearl about a month before he rolled it. Something was bad in the suspension in back causing it to break loose in turns.. So it has to be fixed. Plus if i can get it running right or swap the motor out i'll get payed for it... And as for wiring everything or fixing the harness in it i could do but wouldn't know where to start with it.

Now if i had a virgin harness i'd be set if i knew all the other little details. Heck i had to do the whole wiring harness in the 99 sunfire i have as a go getter for work that i swapped a series 2 supercharged 3.8 in. Something to surprise people for a fire... So i really don't see wiring anything up being a problem...

Now speedo i know ob2 computers can't be chipped. And yes you are ight about the logo.

Now as to the previous owner being stupid you got that dead on. I'll have to take a pic of the whole mess to show. Now the distributer i know is different from the one on his d15b7. I believe the black on had a one plug if i'm not mistaken and the hatch having 2. Does that sound right?

He said it was ex so i have no clue. Also that is what was on the title i believe and sale papers. I'll have him check to see... But if it isn't a ex then the title he has isn't the one for the car..

And by the harness care to explain more? On that step down harness there is like 2 wires tied into wires that run out to the enigine bay.. But nothing for the vtec is hooked up from what i found on here to get it to work. Now the ecu though its unmodified. No chip or anything that i seen with the cover off. Also the p06 is non vtec right? Unless it's been modded with those resitors..

What would you all do if you were in his shoes. The b15d rings are almost gone and smokes just puttin around. And we have the hatch for a motor, harness if it would work and computer. Swap motors, get another b15d, different motor?? He wants to boost what ever it may be too so that would be a factor but not with the shitty kit on the car now.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the motors shot i wouldnt even bother saving it. get a d16y8, uncut 96-98 ex harness and put it to stock. get a new turbo, put the kit back on, rewire the right way and get it tuned
Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 PM

wow this is deja vu...i had the exact same problem with my boosted b18c. But I may have misunderstood what you were trying to describe. What was wrong with mine was at full boost/WOT it would bog out, but if I was at full boost and about 3/4 throttle then it would be fine. I looked under the distributor cap and noticed that one of the contacts (where the rotor contact the pins for the plug wires) were bent and the rotor wasn't making contact with it, i also noticed that the rotor was a little damaged but not bad. So i tried bending the contact back and lining it up with the rotor so it didn't bend back....Took it out for a test drive and the first run it ran amazing, on the way back home however i decided to open her up again and sure enough she started doing it again.

So anyway my problem originated at the distributor and then in turn messed up the contacts to the rotor and pins. So you saying that you replaced the rotor, cap, etc but not the whole distributor makes me wonder if your having the same problem. I would check that out, because if he messed his bearings up in the distributor whenever he opened it up then that would have made the distributor rotor get out of alignment.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its as bad as you say good for who ever took it. Sorry to hear another honda was taken though.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
if the motors shot i wouldnt even bother saving it. get a d16y8, uncut 96-98 ex harness and put it to stock. get a new turbo, put the kit back on, rewire the right way and get it tuned
x2 deffinetly seems like a huge mess. wire harness all hacked up the motor could be bad i just say rip everything get a new motor harness and ecu put it back to stock. hell my the time you done trying to fix everything you could have had another motor and wiring harness in there. not to mention if the kid dont know much about motors or turbos he shouldnt be driving a turboed car.especially a turboed honda.