Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help fitting CF Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help fitting CF Hood

I ordered the hood from prostreetonline.com. The quality is good, but today I tried to put it on, and OMG is it a bitch. Fitment is kinda bad. I got the hood lined up after a while and it can close now, but for sure I'll need some hood pins. My problem now is that the hood keeps hitting the small bracket that holds the radiator down. I'm gonna have to probably cut a hole in the skeleton of the hood for it to fit right. Unless someone else knows how I can mount the radiator another way without it hitting.

This is what is hitting it.

This is where I'm going to have to cut in order for it to fit right.

Just to reassure that it can't be something else hitting it, I have nothing else to hit it!

Old 02-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help fitting CF Hood (Echelon)

my radiator hits my hood and its because my radiatior support is bent, doesnt mean you have the same problem... just something to check
Old 02-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to verify,is the hood hitting the part of the rad bracket that i circled in red?if so,you can try loosening the mounting screw(circled in green)and slide the bracket back as far as it will go towards the firewall.it has a small ammount of adjustment built in.on my car this was enough to make it stop hitting.of course,if you have the hood adjusted too low in the front,it can contribute to it hitting.if you can't adjust it to stop hitting,i'd just cut a small hole in the frame with a Dremel to give it room.just be careful to not damage the outer C/F skin and you'll be fine- i had to cut a hole in the frame on my hood to clear my wastegate.

chris
Old 02-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried moving the latch up? there's 3 10mm bolts holding it and if you loosen them, you can move the latch up almost another centimeter..don't forget to adjust the rubber stoppers too. makes a tighter fit. good luck
Old 02-04-2004, 06:04 PM

what kinda headers are those?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just looked again at the area you have marked in the pic.that looks like it's a section that is sitting directly against the outer c/f skin.i'd be kind of scared to try to cut that out since it'd be very hard to not cut the outer skin too.
i would either try turning the rubber stops out some to slightly raise the front of the hood a little,and adjust the latch if needed.
the way you have it now,how does the hood fit to the fronts of the fenders?does it sit flush?
chris
Old 02-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help fitting CF Hood (Civicr2gs5)

Checked already, my radiator support isn't bent, thanks though.

How do I know if I have it adjusted too low in the front?

Yeah, I moved the latch as far up as possible. That's how I got it to fit after 3-4 hours of work.

Those are my RSR 1-piece headers.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:09 PM

looks like the top of the resivor tank
Old 02-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help fitting CF Hood (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just looked again at the area you have marked in the pic.that looks like it's a section that is sitting directly against the outer c/f skin.i'd be kind of scared to try to cut that out since it'd be very hard to not cut the outer skin too.
i would either try turning the rubber stops out some to slightly raise the front of the hood a little,and adjust the latch if needed.
the way you have it now,how does the hood fit to the fronts of the fenders?does it sit flush?
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the radiator bracket is moved and the radiator is moved then the hood sits fine except on the passenger side fender the hood isn't perfectly aligned.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dudes, doing it all wrong
heres wat u do, take off that bracket holding the radiator down, lift the radiator off its supports, remove the rubber bushings then set it back in place and replace the bracket, try fitting the hood, it that also does not work, get ur hammer and hammer down the 2 support brackets the radiator sits on, then bam ur down, dont put the bushings back on , leave them off....
Old 02-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ironcheftony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ironcheftony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dudes, doing it all wrong
heres wat u do, take off that bracket holding the radiator down, lift the radiator off its supports, remove the rubber bushings then set it back in place and replace the bracket, try fitting the hood, it that also does not work, get ur hammer and hammer down the 2 support brackets the radiator sits on, then bam ur down, dont put the bushings back on , leave them off....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll try that in the morning and post to see if it works. Right now it's far too damn cold for me to go outside again. I was out in below zero weather for like 4 hours. It took me 30mins to feel my feet and toes again.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ironcheftony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ironcheftony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dudes, doing it all wrong
heres wat u do, take off that bracket holding the radiator down, lift the radiator off its supports, remove the rubber bushings then set it back in place and replace the bracket, try fitting the hood, it that also does not work, get ur hammer and hammer down the 2 support brackets the radiator sits on, then bam ur down, dont put the bushings back on , leave them off....</TD></TR></TABLE>
i wouldn't recommend doing it that way unless you need a LOT of clearance-in which case either something on the car is bent,or that hood is horrible quality.
those rubber bushings and there to absorb vibration.i'd be worried that without them the radiator would possibly vibrate and make noise,or even worse,the uncushioned radiator mounting pegs could break off-possibly taking a part of the plastic endtanks with them.
you should be able to make it not hit by adjusting the radiator bracket and front hood bumpers and latch.
chris
Old 02-04-2004, 06:22 PM
I want to be MADE into Ice-T

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicr2gs5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kinda headers are those?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you meant, what kind of headeR is that?
right?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mines worked, no problems, same for others ive done, no probem, im sure u can hit them down and replace the bushing, as well as trim them down, ive had no problems, all ive gotta say
Old 02-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i wouldn't recommend doing it that way unless you need a LOT of clearance-in which case either something on the car is bent,or that hood is horrible quality.
those rubber bushings and there to absorb vibration.i'd be worried that without them the radiator would possibly vibrate and make noise,or even worse,the uncushioned radiator mounting pegs could break off-possibly taking a part of the plastic endtanks with them.
you should be able to make it not hit by adjusting the radiator bracket and front hood bumpers and latch.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was only going to try it without the rubber bushings. But since you said that, it does sound like a bad idea. I'd rather have the hood fit without messing around with the radiator support and bumper. My latch is as high as possible. Any of you know if the Fluidyne radiator sits as high as stock? Maybe I just need to get one of those.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Echelon)

I'll try all of the things you guys said and report back tommorow. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also,can you get a pic of exactly what part of the bracket/rad is rubbing?
that would help.
Chris
Old 02-04-2004, 07:09 PM

shoould have got a vis
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

In the picture where you circled in red. That is the part that is hitting.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

their is also another way that you could do it. You could adjust it at the mounting bolts for the hood. You could actually put some washers in between the hood and the braket to change the positioning of the front of the hood. Like if you put washers on the front bolt and not the one closest to the fire wall, it should kick the front up slighlty. I also agree about the rubber stops being a big part of it. It took me a little to put my hood on when i did it, and all i had to adjust was the rubber stops, made them a little higher and the hood closed perfect.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much did you pay for the CF hood?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Need help fitting CF Hood (acydphryck)

raise the black rubber stoppers on each side of you engine bay and that "should" keep it from hitting. And i conjunction with that move the latch around and you should be set.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help fitting CF Hood (envision2teg)

Thanks guys, I was just out there for an hour in the damn cold try to fix that bish. I'll try what you guys said. I also noticed why it was hitting, the skeleton on the hood isn't as deep as stock so when I close, it hits, sucks huh.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, do what i did and make a bracket out of thin metal, or hell, even out of a coke can, its not like that thing moves too much anyhow
Old 02-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for someone still rocking their d series.

Quick Reply: Need help fitting CF Hood