Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help, engine starting issues after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, engine starting issues after replacement

So I had the top end go in my 92 hatch. It was a d15b8, so I picked up a replacement motor/tranny off craigslist. I ended up getting a d15b7. I didnt get the computer with the motor. So I put in the swap got it to run, but not great, figured out I was missing the map sensor (old motor had on intake, new was a firewall based one). Got a map sensor and a matching ecu at the junk yard. Wired the map sensor into the harness, got rid of the cel. Installed new ecu. Took a good amount of cranking and it eventually started. Ran good for a few minutes, then started stumbling and died, barely got it to start again and really had to hold the gas down to keep it going. Called it a day, went out the next day wouldnt start, crank like crazy but nothing, tried again 10 mins later, started on the first turn. Took it for a drive, ran a little sluggish, especially when shifting gears. Then it decided to sputter and die on me again like before. I decided to plug my old ecu in, started it and it ran great, took it for a drive, was perfect. Figured I got a bad ecu from the junk yard and the old one must have been close enough. Anyway to my problem. Now it wont start all the time. Sometimes I start it and it will go on the first turn, other times Ill crank it like crazy and nothing. Then come back a few minutes later and it will start right up and run great. Im getting no cel light, just not sure what is causing it. Battery is new, Seemed to happen on both ecu's, just wondering if anyone else has had something similar, my searches havent had any luck. Would really like to get this thing done, thanks for any help you can give... Oh ya I can hear the fuel pump prime that doesnt seem to be the issue
Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help, engine starting issues after replacement

verify mechanical timing? fuel pressure at rail? using your old distributor or the one off the cl motor?