Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help with emissions, EVAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with emissions, EVAP

does the evap purge control selenoid have anything to do with emissions? I just went to get my lil bro's car checked for emissions and failed. one thing I forgot to do was add the vaccum line from the EVAP to the cylinder on the firewall. would this greatly effect my idle limit? I get 1 more free re-test. so if I add the vaccum line, you think it will pass??

This is a 93 civic CX with a DX motor(d15b7)

here's the readout of the emissions sheet:

HC (PPM) CO(%)
Idle Limit: 220 1.2 <--limit
Idle Emissions: 470 5.83 <--readings for the car
Fail Fail

everything else passed. need help guys. TIA!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: need help with emissions, EVAP (Honda Sport)

your just pouring fuel out the tail pipe!!! check your cat... it's probably burnt up, you have some combustion problem. Is your timing off? are you getting bad MPG? I would also check your injectors. oh isn't your check engine light coming on? I don't have my EVAP hooked up and I still pass idle
Old 01-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no CELs at all. I'm still running the CX ECU. the car isn't running a cat. just straight exhaust piping from the header back. not sure if the MPG is bad cause I can't really drive it around town cause the tabs are overdue. I haven't checked the ignition timing so I'll try to do that if I can get a hold of a timing gun. how would I go about checking the injectors?

just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, if you're looking at the motor from the front of the car, the EVAP is located on the back of the manifold to the right?

side note, when I hit WOT, it there's a lil smoke.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody else?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:11 PM
New User

Default Re: need help with emissions, EVAP (Honda Sport)

well, i don't know where the evap canister is on a cx, but on mines, it's near the battery... i think... i'll have to look again.

but any vacuum hose disconnected will cause the car to run rich w/o turning on a cel.
depending on how long you've been driving w/ the vacuum hose disconnected, plugging it back in would just allow you to pass the visual part of the smog, but the actual gas reading might not be any better.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help. actually, I haven't driven it that far, just around the block a few times. probably put less then 1 mile on the new motor. the tabs have been expired since 2003 so I'm not driving it on the road. hahaha...anyways, the canister on the CX, it's located in the same place, underneath the battery to the right. I over looked the vaccum line when I swapped the new motor over. I just got a vaccum line running from the selenoid to the canister now. it seems to idle a lot smoother.

side note, you think running without a cat will effect emissions?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Honda Sport)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Sport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
side note, you think running without a cat will effect emissions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no ****, BTW Evap only prevents HC's from ecaping your gas tank by putting it back into the engines intake to burn off the fumes from the gas.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no ****, BTW Evap only prevents HC's from ecaping your gas tank by putting it back into the engines intake to burn off the fumes from the gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, no need to be so harsh, never really had to deal with running without a cat so I'm not in familiar territory. that's why I'm asking here on a forum with technical information. guess I'll have to look for a cat. anybody have a stock one they need to get rid of?