Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help: EK9 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: EK9 Suspension

I just sold my 96 GSR and bought a 20001 Civic Type R EK9. Will be purchasing Koni yellows and not sure what springs to match them with.(i.e Spring rates) to maintain decent handling. Would like a spring that gives you at least 1 finger gap between wheel and fender.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (Kolijian)

(Didn't know there was an 01 EK9, but I digress)
(assuming you are talking about an actual Civic Type R and not just an EK hatch)

Gee, the obvious answer would be to put your stock CTR springs on the lower perches of the Konis and be done with it. The stock springs are pretty damn good, paired with the Konis, I think they'd be excellent.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (Kolijian)

If it's real EK9 they did make them in 2001......If it's USDM them there is no such thing as a Civic TYPE R LHD let alone "01" EK...If it is real I wouldn't put koni's on it use something JDM like spoon / Tein something full coil-overs

Modified by RSA_Reno at 9:49 PM 3/19/2004
Old 03-19-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (RSA_Reno)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSA_Reno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's real EK9 they did make them in 2001......If it's USDM them there is no such thing as a Civic TYPE R LHD let alone "01" Civic Type r...If it is real I wouldn't put koni's on it use something JDM like spoon</TD></TR></TABLE>

STFU. Something JDM like Spoon? Please don't talk anymore.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (uncle)

you STFU......don't talk any more? At least say why.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:57 PM

Koni's will be more than good enough. Why the **** should he get somehting "JDM." Will a JDM shock be better than a usdm shock? Does Spoon even sell shocks seperately?

Oh I see you edited your post to sound less like an idiot "JDM is better" *****.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSA_Reno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If it's real EK9 they did make them in 2001......If it's USDM them there is no such thing as a Civic TYPE R LHD let alone "01" Civic Type r...If it is real I wouldn't put koni's on it use something JDM like spoon
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSA_Reno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's real EK9 they did make them in 2001......If it's USDM them there is no such thing as a Civic TYPE R LHD let alone "01" EK...If it is real I wouldn't put koni's on it use something JDM like spoon / Tein something full coil-overs</TD></TR></TABLE>?

Old 03-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (RSA_Reno)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSA_Reno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you STFU......don't talk any more? At least say why.</TD></TR></TABLE>

at least say why you say what ylou said.....it's the most ignorant statement you could make regarding suspension.

Too bad Koni makes one of the best dampers you can get for a Civic....
Old 03-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uncle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

STFU. Something JDM like Spoon? Please don't talk anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would get a JDM 1 piece coilover too. w/ pillow ball mounts
and yes Spoon does produce coilovers

Uncle please don't talk anymore !!!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (Jon V)

and yes a 1 piece adjustable coilover would be better than koni struts
Old 03-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and yes a 1 piece adjustable coilover would be better than koni struts</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, something like Tein...right???

rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggh hhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttt........

Unless you get the Type Flex or some of their high end models, the dampers can handle no where NEAR that of a revalved Koni Yellow, let alone a stock Yellow. A stock Yellow can handle up to 600 lbs springs, and a revalved one up to 1k lbs....a Tein basic/SS, etc damper can handle what....like 350-400 max .

Only a few true coilovers are comparable to the Yellows... Buddy Clubs, Zeal B6/S6, Apex N1 to name a few. I mean, look at the body of the damper on the BC Racing Specs...it's HUGE!

Just ask yourself "What do all the East Coast Honda Challenge and most Honda Solo I/II and Club Racing guys run?"....the majority is custom rate Eibachs on Koni Yellows
Old 03-19-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, something like Tein...right???</TD></TR></TABLE>
of course.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a Tein basic/SS, etc damper can handle what....like 350-400 max .</TD></TR></TABLE>
the rears dampers can take 336

a great article on shocks: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/shocks.html
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that article &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In response to the recent import performance boom, many new shock companies have sprung up on the scene. Some are truly geared towards the performance enthusiast, while others are better suited for common street use.

"When buying shocks, especially lately, reputation is more important than hype," explains Jay Morris. "Many companies have become aware of the demand for quality suspension components and have thrown their hats into the ring with hastily-developed shocks.

"Paradoxically, high-quality companies are left at the bus stop regarding new customer perception (Bilstein). Even then, there are so many inexperienced 'experts' in the Internet chat rooms that a lot of misinformation is being repeated as gospel. Try to get an opinion from someone who has owned more than one shock."</TD></TR></TABLE>

hrmm...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (jwn7)

Good quote from GRM.

Koni has been in the racing game since the 60's. If their shocks were good enough to be on LeMans-bound Ferrari 512's in 1970, I think that they'd be good enough on a Civic after another 30 years of R&D.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (jwn7)

nice article
Old 03-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help: EK9 Suspension (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, something like Tein...right???

rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggh hhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttt........

Unless you get the Type Flex or some of their high end models, the dampers can handle no where NEAR that of a revalved Koni Yellow, let alone a stock Yellow. A stock Yellow can handle up to 600 lbs springs, and a revalved one up to 1k lbs....a Tein basic/SS, etc damper can handle what....like 350-400 max .

Only a few true coilovers are comparable to the Yellows... Buddy Clubs, Zeal B6/S6, Apex N1 to name a few. I mean, look at the body of the damper on the BC Racing Specs...it's HUGE!

Just ask yourself "What do all the East Coast Honda Challenge and most Honda Solo I/II and Club Racing guys run?"....the majority is custom rate Eibachs on Koni Yellows </TD></TR></TABLE>

if i am correct,i believe you guys just got owned by Emerika.