Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help with eg suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with eg suspension setup

im getting my kyb agx gas shocks next week along with my yokohoma 185/60/14 avid t4's.

for the future i plan to get h&r sport springs

what should i use as far as sway bars, and strut bars.
im looking for the best performance for the cheapest price..
my aim is to get some real nice handling..
comments on how well i will be able to handle will help too

thanks!
Old 05-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with eg suspension setup (killerboots)

hate to tell you this, but the yoko avid t4's won't handle very well. I have a mild suspension setup and have no problem breaking my avid h4's loose. The h4's are supposed to be a softer compound than the t4s.

first order of business would be to get a better tire. Check out the neuspeed strut tower bar, and check out the suspension techniques sway bar kit.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:01 PM

well then i guess i am lucky i havent ordered the tires yet... but ive heard very good stories about the t4.. what is wrong with them??

this sway bar kit, how much should i expect to pay for it? also, do the replica strut tower bars work at all (i.e. ebay, mugen replicas, etc.)?
Old 05-11-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (killerboots)

what about falken azenis?
Old 05-11-2003, 09:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killerboots &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about falken azenis?</TD></TR></TABLE>

good tire...why not get stock sway bars from an integra or something...probibly cheaper
Old 05-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (super-dooper fast)

I just completed my ITR swaybar and addition of a set of azenis for autocross this year. All's I can say is Damn . The tires will not break loose. The setup is great! but i need shocks. As far as the azenis they are only rated at 200 treadwear plus I've heard they are terrible hydroplaners.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:52 AM

how much did the ITR setup cost you? and what parts do you need?
i want to have the same setup, but with kyb agx gas shocks

Old 05-12-2003, 11:53 AM

oh, and how is the ride quality with the sway & falkens?

im hoping for good ride quality with the h&r's, kybs, and the falkens... cause right now 3 busted shocks on stock springs with heavily worn tires... isnt a smooth ride at all.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (B12boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B12boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just completed my ITR swaybar and addition of a set of azenis for autocross this year. All's I can say is Damn . The tires will not break loose. The setup is great! but i need shocks. As far as the azenis they are only rated at 200 treadwear plus I've heard they are terrible hydroplaners.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ran last autocross in the rain with Azenis...and they still held their ground. My rear end got a little squirly, but nothing major.

Just watch out for standing water and drive safe.

I have a Mugen replica front strut, and love it. Can't beat it for 40 bucks-just throw the sticker away please...lol. And I also have a Mugen rear bar-the real one though
Old 05-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From my experience the H&Rs aren't worth $2.

A friend of mine bought them with hopes that they would perform better than his HP racing coilovers. No such luck. They raised his car and made it very bouncy. I recommend going with a set of Eibachs or custom rate Ground Controls. Try something in the 400 spring rate range.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (94si94cx)

well, from what ive heard, Eibachs and H&R perform equally the same..
also, were they Sport or Race springs?

if im gonna have to pay that much money to drop the car, then ill probably forget it, because i dont want to pay that much money because it is more for looks than suspension benefits..
Old 05-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He got the most agressive H&R spring available and it was like riding in a boat. They were for "off-road use only" but the spring rate was still way too low for what we like.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (94si94cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94si94cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He got the most agressive H&R spring available and it was like riding in a boat. They were for "off-road use only" but the spring rate was still way too low for what we like.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the ride was bouncier, then the spring rate was higher. Your friends shocks were just too weak to control the HIGHER spring rate of the much stiffer H&Rs. So what "we like" is actually soft and cheap springs.

why suggest spring rates when you don't even understand how a damper and spring work together?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

Spring rate = force

Higher the force, the more forced required to compress the spring. That's the reason that drag-launch springs have rediculously high spring rates. I'll admit that his shocks aren't great (Koni Reds) but they sure did not behave well when paired with these springs.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killerboots &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well then i guess i am lucky i havent ordered the tires yet... but ive heard very good stories about the t4.. what is wrong with them??

this sway bar kit, how much should i expect to pay for it? also, do the replica strut tower bars work at all (i.e. ebay, mugen replicas, etc.)? </TD></TR></TABLE>

As I said, I have the Avid H4s which are supposed to be a better compound than the T4s and they are decent street tires. Low road noise, decent handling, decent snow traction, etc. Basically a good all-season all-around tire. However if you really want good handling, then they are not the way to go. They slide very easily on wet pavement (doesn't even take standing water, just simple wet pavement). They slide very easily on loose surfaces, like loose rocks/gravel on roads, etc. It doesn't take a lot to make one spin while cornering or take off too fast. They aren't bad tires, but they are not good enough that I am comfortable driving aggressively on roads that I am not VERY familiar with. I'm looking at a set of Yokohama AVS ES100's for my next set.

The falken azenis are very good tires. However they don't have a very long treadlife in case that is an issue for you. You will probably be buying a set at least once a year.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kommon_sense)

best bang for the buck... go ITR..
ITR shocks and springs... and sways.... I dont have a strut bar in my eg yet... but rather work on the "real" suspension first.

check out http://www.passwordjdm.com... they got ish on there really cheap right now.