Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help don't know how water is coming into my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help don't know how water is coming into my car

I've been using the search button and read a few threads about other user's problems like the taillight gap issue and water is running from the trunk and so forth but I've checked and haven't found anything yet. My car is a 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe with a sunroof. Now what i'm thinking is that it's coming from the sunroof probably but how would I know? Sometimes it leaks from my driverside door too.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help don't know how water is coming into my car (Racersky)

How bad is the leak? Can you notice it if you get inside the car and someone hoses it down from the outside?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's like pouring rain outside right now and when i open the door the inside of the door park where the weather strip from the door meets is all wet and my floor is all wet.....when i close the door it drips a little from the door and when i touch the ceiling it's real moist
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Racersky)

Sit in the car and have someone run a water hose all over it and look.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (E.Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E.Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sit in the car and have someone run a water hose all over it and look.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the only way to track down water leaks. water leaks suck, i just sold my suburban because it had multiple water leaks and they drove me nuts. good luck to you.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok...my friend's friend helped me out on this water leak issue. He ran water all over the roof of the car with a hose and nothing I can see of any water leaks. He then proceeds to run water through the sunroof gutters and then the driver side rear gutter wouldn't go. He air hosed it down and then the gutter worked fine. After a few days i don't see a puddle but then the floor still felt damp and so i made an assumption that the carpet was probably not dried yet so I ignored it. Tonight it rained a little hard and so I went to check out the car and now two puddles formed. One is located in the driver side front and then other is located the driverside rear. Can anyone else make another recommendation as to what to do to find this leak?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After countless hours of trying to pin point where this water leak is coming from I came to a conclusion that it's coming from the sunroof because the actual ceiling cloth started to hang a little on the driver side. Now I'm trying to replace the weather seal around the glass but then when I called Honda they said that the weather seal is built with the glass. Is this true? Is there anyway of fixing this problem without resulting into buying the entire glass? I'm not feeling the $350 to just buy a small sunroof glass. I mean it is made by Honda but still it's outrageous to pay that much for that. Please if there's an alternative way in fixing this problem I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM

water leaks suck. I have a leak on my driver side winder just before my mirror... which, coincidentally, is right above my speaker. Needless to say that speaker no longer works. I need to get the weather stripping replaced.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (slo93si)

HOw is the condition of your car... this sounds stupid.. i know but remember that car on Pimp my ride, the bottom of the car was out right rusted into oblivion. That person could see the ground from sitting inside the car. Maybe its coming in from the bottom?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But the thing is the car is parked and when it rains the floors get wet. So I'm gonna assume the floor is ok but I'll check to make sure there isn't any surprising holes down below. Also my cloth ceiling is beginning to lose its adhesiveness on the driver side corner.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Have to tried blowing out your sunroof drain tubes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (packthis)

Yes I have tried to blow it out and then we ran a water hose into the drains and it actually came out from each side.....If the drain is working properly would the weather seals on the sunroof have anything to deal with it? Or could it be the door seals?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car is sitting and it's raining, does it stil get wet?

Because I've seen it w/ holes on the bottom & u won't notice it by running a hose over it b/c it only happens when water's splashing up when ur driving...
Old 08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the car will sit on my driveway and I didn't drive it at all for a good three days and when i got to take a look at the car I see puddles.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:33 AM

I had the same problem on my 92 civic, and my puddles would always be right where you put your feet. And mine were caused by the RUST between the TOP Seal of the Front Windshield and the body work. So when i went to replace the window, the guy had sanded the TOP SEAL around where the window seals, and put body filler and made it like new. Problem has been fixed ever since.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ezzzey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezzzey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem on my 92 civic, and my puddles would always be right where you put your feet. And mine were caused by the RUST between the TOP Seal of the Front Windshield and the body work. So when i went to replace the window, the guy had sanded the TOP SEAL around where the window seals, and put body filler and made it like new. Problem has been fixed ever since.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't see any rust spots around the windshield seals. I finally got the headliner removed and now it's time to search for any water stains which I haven't found yet. Another question if the drain tube wasn't in all the way and had like 1/8 of inch gap would that cause a leak? I tried removing that metal clip that's holding the tube in place and then pushing the tube all the way in so it's flushed with the drain hole and the reclip it again. I hope that fixes it cause then if it doesn't and it's about to rain outside I don't know what else to look for.