Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help diagnosing the trouble with my Honda civic ex 95.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing the trouble with my Honda civic ex 95.

im having trouble starting the car and keep it running.

this is what happens.

start car, car starts and dies inmediately (everything shuts off, clock and dash board), take the key out and put it back in, car starts and dies off immediately again, i do this for about three times and the last time i start the car and accelerate the car starts but shows signs of dying (speedometer goes all the way from whatever to zero and the clock flicks on and off). on the first couple of tries if i try to accelerate the engine makes a weird noise. when i finally got the car started the clock will flick on and off, and lastly there was some smoke coming from the steering wheel column.

Can anyone show me the right direction to go with this issue?

thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help diagnosing the trouble with my Honda civic ex 95. (zidemizar)

if you really saw smoke coming from the steering wheel column, thats a dead give away for a malfuncting ignition switch, believe it or not there was a recall for that, for the 96-00 civic, last year my brother brought his car to honda to have it replaced.
i think there is a how to post around here
Old 11-28-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Need help diagnosing the trouble with my Honda civic ex 95. (zidemizar)

lol this could be funny. I was having this problem one time and it turned out that my ground connection to my battery was loose. Tightened it up and problem solved. Wouldn't you just be thrilled if all you had to do is tighten your batt?! - My 2 cents

EDIT.. And holy crap smoke at your colunm... Can't help you there. Good luck man
Old 11-28-2005, 08:54 AM

thanks for the quick reply, yes there was smoke coming out of the steering wheel column, it smelled like burning rubber but then the smoke sopped and no more smoke came out of it and i was able to drive it home.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM

i just found out that when i put the key and turn it to start none of the instruments in the dash will come on, i have to turn the key a little bit more so the instruments show up. however now the car starts normally it wont die immediately. any suggestions, should i just leave the car if is running like that or should i take it to a mechanic?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should pull the battery cable and have it looked at immediately. Smoke is bad, it could get worse if it shorts out anymore and there could be a fire.