Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!!

I have searched through different threads from the past and I am still having the same issue.

Within the past 5 months or so I've been experiencing some wobble on the front end of my civic. As far as suspension goes I have GC/Konis w/ 325f/350r, a front strut tower bar and rear camber kit. Recently I purchased some HX wheels with tires from another H-T member (Goodyear's). I have inspected the axels and brakes myself, and have had them inspected at the shop. I have taken my car in for an alignment and tire balancing on seperate occasions and I still have the wobbling going on!!

The wobbling usually occurs when I'm doing 70+ or braking b/w 45-40mph. I really need to get this fixed b/c it's getting to the point where I don't want to drive my car anymore. It's just not enjoyable! Any suggestions are welcome. Also, if anybody is interested in helping me out that's local, or knows of any good mechanics in the Baltimore/D.C. area. Thanks.

*EDIT*: The times that I took my car into the shop they said that they didn't see anything wrong.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (phillycx)

Are your rotors true?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are your rotors true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I was thinking. If the alignment and balance are on, I always check the rotors next.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are your rotors true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotcha...this may be a noob question, but is there a way for me to check that myself, or do I need to take it in? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phillycx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The wobbling usually occurs when <U>I'm doing 70+</U> or braking b/w 45-40mph. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wouldn't that rule out warped rotors?

I'd be inclined to check the tie-rod ends, blown shock (though unlikely), or out of round wheels. Out of round wheels can still be balanced.

Could you be a little more discriptive with the wobbling? Is it happening with the steering wheel? Just the front end of the car? Is it just a wobbling noise or is the car moving around?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (Another Drew)

i had the same problem except it was only when i was doing about 70+ mph and i had a bent axle
Old 12-16-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (99hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Could you be a little more discriptive with the wobbling? Is it happening with the steering wheel? Just the front end of the car? Is it just a wobbling noise or is the car moving around?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The "wobbling" occurs in the steering wheel and I can physically feel the car shaking up front (not out of control). It has gotten slightly better since I had the tires balanced. It could very well be the tires and they do make a lot of road noise.

I will definitely take your suggestions into account and any others you can offer. Again, I'm assuming that I would need to take it into the shop, are there any out there that you guys "trust" to do good work?

Old 12-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tie rod ends, ball joints, damaged wheels, horribly out-of-balance wheels or bent suspension components. Those are your options.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (phillycx)

Swap your tires front to back and take it for a test ride. If the wobbling comes from the rear, you know it's your tires/wheels.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (Another Drew)

If you are using after market wheels/rims, get matching hubcentric rings from discount tire. I had to keep rebalancing my wheels because over time they would get wobbly from hitting bumps & ruts. With out the wheel being hubcentric, it cant stay perfectly centered. No problems w/ vibration since.

As for the shaking steering wheel under braking, warped rotors is what it most likely is. In that case you will either need new rotors, or have those ones machined on an "On-Car Lathe". This will make them perfect. New pads, shims, retainers are a must though. Better pads will keep this from happening in the future (if this is indeed the problem). Only pro mechanics have on car lathes, & they will have to give you a full brake job. I would just bring along some axxis ultimate pads for them to install.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (94eg!)

I had to replace a wheel bearing at the last track event. Usually it'd accompany itself with noise however.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Another Drew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wouldn't that rule out warped rotors?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on how bad they are. My OEM rotors were so bad before I changed them that they caused more vibration than when I threw a weight from my rim. Rotors are rotational mass, and being warped can cause an out of balance situation. It's happened to several cars that I know of.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem...suspension gurus, etc. needed!!!!! (EX_AutoXer)

Thanks for all the responses!!! I will look into getting new rotors or having them resurfaced. Also, I have tried swapping the tires around on the car and the problem seems like it remains up front. So, I believe that it has something to do with rotors, tie rods, etc. It may also be the wheels that I bought off of someone else, but I don't see any visual damage that would cause the problem.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tie rod ends, ball joints, damaged wheels, horribly out-of-balance wheels or bent suspension components. Those are your options.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You forgot crap tires. I've seen many a tire with a slipped belt...