Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help diagnosing issue clutch/slave/master

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help diagnosing issue clutch/slave/master

d16y8 with unknown miles, replaced oil about 2k miles ago with honda MTF. when I would launch it from first (every 2-3 months for ***** and giggles) car would always spin wheel and no slippage of clutch. Last week car drove fine. Today on my way to work I noticed a minimal strange high pitched rattling noise whenever it was engaged in gear. As the drive progressed it became harder and harder to put the car in gear and the clutch would disengage almost being completely pressed in, and would engage after only 1-2" of being released (normally its around 4-6" before it would engage). It got to the point I had to JAM the gears in.

I am at work so i cannot diagnose yet or check the MTF level so I just need quick suggestions on what it could be besides low oil.

Another note, When the clutch was engaged (foot off pedal) in neutral, if i slightly pushed the shifter towards 1st the car would start moving slowly.

Last edited by DeLSoLRo; 08-22-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help diagnosing issue clutch/slave/master

whats the question?
is it what is the high pitched noise?
or why is it hard to get into gear?

when you say the oil do you mean the MTF?

have you checked or bled the the clutch fluid? hopefully this isnt what you mean by "besides the oil"
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teamXteg
whats the question?
is it what is the high pitched noise?
or why is it hard to get into gear?

when you say the oil do you mean the MTF?

have you checked or bled the the clutch fluid? hopefully this isnt what you mean by "besides the oil"

I already know to check/fill MTF, bleed the slave cylinder with new fluid, but as far as internals go, if replacing fluids doesnt solve the issue what should I look for next?

From the brief investigation ive done it sounds like if it's not fluid related its either an input shaft bearing/throw out bearing/pressure plate... I did notice last time I was under the car to replace the shifter bushings there is a M8 bolt instead of a bitch pin. Dont know if that matters but I know its the reason why my shifter is sloppy as f*ck.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rained hard as F yesterday didnt get a chance to even mess with the car. After doing some more research last night im 90% positive its master/slave cylinder related. Either air got in the system, or one of the two is going bad. When car is turned off gears go in perfectly, and the symptoms of having a softer clutch pedal, where the gears wouldnt go in and id have to shove them in, and after pressing the pedal to the floor and it would engage after letting off only 1-2 inches pretty much describes typical symptoms of bad slave or issue with that system. Will check back later after work if hopefully it doesnt rain again today (freaking florida weather) with updates.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced both master/slave, bled, adjusted the MC rod properly and car shifted smoothly and without any issues.

The clutch pedal is about 5.5" from the firewall/floor instead of the 6.5" that the haynes manual says, cant figure out how to adjust that.

The clutch is still disengaging 1-2" off the firewall. Sounds like if I can adjust the clutch pedal to the correct distance from the floor/firewall I SHOULD add another inch to where it disengages.

Anyone know how to adjust this?

Last edited by DeLSoLRo; 08-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump