Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help Del sol problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help Del sol problem

I had problems with my delsol starting it lately. I would put the key in and try to turn the motor over but the lights on the dashboard dim and nothing turns over. I would here a err sound but nothing. I would try several times then it would turn over. So i took my car into autozone and had them check the battery it was brand new Duralast battery it checked out good. They checked the alternator out and it checked out good as well. They told me it could be a starter problem. I purchased a new starter and put it in and now when i try to start my car i put my key in and the lights on the dashboard come on but when i turn the key to start it i hear 1 click from the starter and then bam my dashboard lights go off and nothing turns over. I checked the fuses they are all good. I take the key out and try again and dashboard lights dont come on. I wait 5 minutes and then put the key back in and they are back on and try to start it again. Same thing i hear a click from the starter and then the dashboard lights go off again. Any ideas.???
Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need help Del sol problem (cascanjep)

Dim dashboard lights are a sign of low power, not a bad starter.

If 12v is coming off of the battery (test it yourself with a multi-meter), then the car should start, with or without the alternator, it'll at least run for a few on just the battery.

So if you have 12v coming out of the battery on a multi-meter, I would start checking grounds, starting with the negative terminal of the battery. In the helms is a list of all the grounding location, take 'em off, spray 'em with contact cleaner, and put 'em back on. There's only like 4 main ones.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 AM

I did get both starters tested out though and my old starter would engage but not spin the new one engages and spins. And i did buy a new battery positive terminal wire just in case the factory one was bad.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 AM

Im going now to check the grounds on the car you say theres only 4
Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (cascanjep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cascanjep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did get both starters tested out though and my old starter would engage but not spin the new one engages and spins. And i did buy a new battery positive terminal wire just in case the factory one was bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea...read what I said, it has nothing to do with any of that. I was talking about "grounds" - and the battery ground is the negative lead.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cascanjep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im going now to check the grounds on the car you say theres only 4</TD></TR></TABLE>

About 4, I don't know exactly, 4 or 5, or something to that nature - if you get a Honda manual out it'll tell you in the specs part (1st part) of that.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Thank You Syndacate. It was the negative ground that needed to be cleaned up because of rust and I just pb blasted it and cleaned the negative ground with some steel woal. Thanks for your help man Del sol is now up and running. I almost took it and got it towed today to before you told me this and would have wasted 70 bucks to take it somewhere