Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help deciding on a stage 3 clutch for 00 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:52 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on a stage 3 clutch for 00 Civic Si

What's going on guys reaching out because I need your expert advice......I have a 2000 honda civic si b16. My clutch just recently went and I'm trying to get a stage 3 clutch. Would like to know what you guys would recommend me going with brand wise and also should I also get a flywheel as well? Please help need to make purchase A.s.A.p. Thanks in advance
Old 12-17-2015, 07:46 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: Need help deciding on a stage 3 clutch for 00 Civic Si

for everyhonda iv had. I have bought $150-200 lightweight flywheel and stgX clutch from ebay. they aren't noname brands. the brand like f1 or whatever is a big manufacture that makes "performance" replacements.
I bought over 10 dif sets. no1 problem NA or boost or oem motor and beat the junk out of them until I blew up motors. swapped. sold etc. ..ebay...or you can spend 2-3x more on act CC or whatever..same manufacture though............
Old 12-17-2015, 08:16 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any reason for thinking you need a "stage 3" clutch, or do you just want to say you have one? While we're talking about it, "stages" on clutches mean exactly nothing. One company's stage 2 is another company's stage 5, and they'll both have the same torque capacity.

Now either tell us why you need something stronger than stock, or just go get an Exedy OEM replacement clutch. If you want to spend the money, go with Exedy stage 1. Done. Simple as that.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:53 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Represented my exact same thoughts on the subject almost literally word for word.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Do you have any reason for thinking you need a "stage 3" clutch, or do you just want to say you have one? While we're talking about it, "stages" on clutches mean exactly nothing. One company's stage 2 is another company's stage 5, and they'll both have the same torque capacity.

Now either tell us why you need something stronger than stock, or just go get an Exedy OEM replacement clutch. If you want to spend the money, go with Exedy stage 1. Done. Simple as that.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had good luck with Exedy and Competition Clutch and would recommend either one. Its more a matter of figuring out which clutch you need vs which one you think you need.

Do you have any reason for thinking you need a "stage 3" clutch
Becuz racecar, obviously
Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah nothing more annoying than a stiff clutch in a slow *** car
Old 12-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
for everyhonda iv had. I have bought $150-200 lightweight flywheel and stgX clutch from ebay. they aren't noname brands. the brand like f1 or whatever is a big manufacture that makes "performance" replacements.
I bought over 10 dif sets. no1 problem NA or boost or oem motor and beat the junk out of them until I blew up motors. swapped. sold etc. ..ebay...or you can spend 2-3x more on act CC or whatever..same manufacture though............
Thanks a little confused with answer but appreciate input and kind of understand what your saying
Old 12-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Originally Posted by Mickey_stackz
Thanks a little confused with answer but appreciate input and kind of understand what your saying
Seems like you're after only the most high quality answers, as posted above. /sarcasm

Which stage 3 clutch? They're all different. No way to know which one you need until you answer:
Why stage 3 clutch?

Goals? Power output? Use? Do you plan on buying a clutch bypass to be able to start the car without wrecking thrust bearings? Do you drive in traffic? Is this a race car?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Trial User

Thanks I'm actually aiming for a stage 3 because I was told it would not only have a better torque capacity but also would help with hp.as well as smoother shifting and handling The car is constantly getting compliments for being an original em1 and I would like to have it live up to the standards
Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by B serious
Seems like you're after only the most high quality answers, as posted above. /sarcasm

Which stage 3 clutch? They're all different. No way to know which one you need until you answer:
Why stage 3 clutch?

Goals? Power output? Use? Do you plan on buying a clutch bypass to be able to start the car without wrecking thrust bearings? Do you drive in traffic? Is this a race car?

I'm thinking competition but I have heard negative reviews also clutch masters but not really familiar with other brands. I want a high power output and it isn't a daily driver I have a Mercedes 2000 e320 for that I want to say more of a project car I want it to live up to its standard so yea....
Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

smooth shifts with a stage 3? Damn thats news to me.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Originally Posted by Mickey_stackz
Thanks I'm actually aiming for a stage 3 because I was told it would not only have a better torque capacity but also would help with hp.as well as smoother shifting and handling The car is constantly getting compliments for being an original em1 and I would like to have it live up to the standards

Wow...I'd like to address that last statement but I don't have enough time. Exedy OEM replacement is what you need if that's what you're hoping to get out of a "stage 3" clutch.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Wow...I'd like to address that last statement but I don't have enough time. Exedy OEM replacement is what you need if that's what you're hoping to get out of a "stage 3" clutch.
What should I "expect" out of a stage 3 clutch?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Nothing if there isn't any other engine modifications that justify it. It's overkill on an otherwise original Si. If anything, you can expect it to feel worse depending on what the definition of a stage 3 clutch is. "NotARaCist" was trying to drive that point home but in case you didn't get it, "stages" aren't universal and without an explanation the term is truly meaningless.

Since no one has responded yet, yes an upgraded clutch/pressure plate may have the ability to hold more torque/horsepower but if the engine is still running in stock form, ask yourself if you need it? Not saying don't buy it, that's entirely up to you but understand what it is you're doing. Also, "smoother shifting" has more to do with the physical shifting components (both at the shifter and linkages as well as the internals of the transmission) and less to do with the way power is carried over from the engine to the transmission. As for better handling, that's the suspension's job, not the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel assembly.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just get oem exedy or exedy stage 1 at most. You can even buy an oem honda throwout bearing, or even a spoon one and tell people how fancy it is. lol
Old 12-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Nothing if there isn't any other engine modifications that justify it. It's overkill on an otherwise original Si. If anything, you can expect it to feel worse depending on what the definition of a stage 3 clutch is. "NotARaCist" was trying to drive that point home but in case you didn't get it, "stages" aren't universal and without an explanation the term is truly meaningless.

Since no one has responded yet, yes an upgraded clutch/pressure plate may have the ability to hold more torque/horsepower but if the engine is still running in stock form, ask yourself if you need it? Not saying don't buy it, that's entirely up to you but understand what it is you're doing. Also, "smoother shifting" has more to do with the physical shifting components (both at the shifter and linkages as well as the internals of the transmission) and less to do with the way power is carried over from the engine to the transmission. As for better handling, that's the suspension's job, not the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel assembly.

I really appreciate your input bro and thank you for explaining your self in great detail as you have cleared things up for me a bit
Old 12-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Are you looking for a race clutch? An exedy Hyper Single (stage3) is awful on the street and will wear out in like 20k miles because it isn't meant for street use. I know from experience.

Why do you want a stage 3 clutch? Does the car put out a ton of power that requires a high capacity clutch? Or do you plan to track it heavily as its main use?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop talking about "a stage 3 clutch". You're acting like they're all going to be the same. They aren't. I'm dead serious when I say company X's stage 3 will be company Y's stage 6. There is no "standard" to call a clutch a "stage 3". Whoever told you it would be "better for hp" is an idiot, and you should not listen to them. Clutches are rated by torque. If they are rated by horsepower, find a different company. If they aren't rated, find a different company. A higher rated clutch most definitely will NOT be smoother. At all. Not even remotely.

Whoever has been giving you clutch advice, please, stop listening to them. They have no idea what they are talking about, and should not be trusted.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that....

Old 12-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by B serious
Are you looking for a race clutch? An exedy Hyper Single (stage3) is awful on the street and will wear out in like 20k miles because it isn't meant for street use. I know from experience.

Why do you want a stage 3 clutch? Does the car put out a ton of power that requires a high capacity clutch? Or do you plan to track it heavily as its main use?
I am looking for a race clutch haven't made any modifications to the engine yet but do plan to.... The goal is to make it a "race car". The clutch is going so I have to replace regardless so I was was clearly wrongly advised to go with a stage 3 clutch now so I wouldn't have to replace later on after the modifications
Old 12-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Fish Twig

its going to be a race car but you still drive daily...stage 3 is not made for the streets and does not give your smooth shifting nore more torque. You have been misinformed. You want more torque drop a high compression b20 in there and retain the tranny.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Trial User

Stop talking about "a stage 3 clutch". You're acting like they're all going to be the same. They aren't. I'm dead serious when I say company X's stage 3 will be company Y's stage 6. There is no "standard" to call a clutch a "stage 3". Whoever told you it would be "better for hp" is an idiot, and you should not listen to them. Clutches are rated by torque. If they are rated by horsepower, find a different company. If they aren't rated, find a different company. A higher rated clutch most definitely will NOT be smoother. At all. Not even remotely.

Whoever has been giving you clutch advice, please, stop listening to them. They have no idea what they are talking about, and should not be trusted.
Thanks clearly they don't and you seem to have a decent knowledge in regards to what you are speaking about so here's my question you clearly know what kind of car I have now I do plan on making modifications to my engine to make it go faster and it's essentially be a "race car" what kind of clutch should I go with even though the modifications haven't been done to the vehicle yet they will at one point which is why I'm guessing they're telling me to get a different kind of clutch not specifically stage 3 from the conversation I've had with you and every one else here.....
Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=tony_2018;50679489]its going to be a race car but you still drive daily...stage 3 is not made for the streets and does not give your smooth shifting nore more torque. You have been misinformed. You want more torque drop a high compression b20 in there and retain the tranny

I hear you I want to stick with my b16 just trying to figure out what kind of clutch to get so I don't have to replace it once I put a turbo or whatever other modifications I plan to do to the vehicle
Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Fish Twig

If you put that stage 3 in now I hope you know how to NOT **** up your mounts. The stock oem mounts aren't that reinforced so if you don't shift in a manner where it doesn't rock the motor too roughly expect to replace them soon.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on a stage 3 clutch for 00 Civic Si