Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEED HELP! D16Z6 SWAP INTO A 96 EK CIVIC! WIRING ISSUES!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! D16Z6 SWAP INTO A 96 EK CIVIC! WIRING ISSUES!

I have a 96 civic coupe, it has a OBD2A HARNESS. I just put a full swap d16z6 in it, i got a crank angle sensor check engine light code. Im not sure if i should buy the z6 harness yet. I saw the z6 harness and it has different plugs connected to the driver side. My driver side has one plug and the z6 harness has 3 plugs on the driver side. Does anyone have a diagram or a thread where it shows how to convert your car to obd1 using a obd2a dash harness.. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP! D16Z6 SWAP INTO A 96 EK CIVIC! WIRING ISSUES!

you cant use the z6 harness. its a 2 part harness that seperates at the shock tower. the 96-98 civic harness is a one piece harness that does not come apart anywhere and runs directly into the cabin and plugs into the ecu.

to convert your car to obd1 you'll need an obd2a to obd1 jumper, and then to convert either your engine harness to accept the obd1 dizzy, or convert the dizzy to work with the obd2a harness plugs. i just did this exact swap on my car and it works fine no problem. this is how i switched the wires from the obd2a engine harness to the obd1 dizzy plugs.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
you cant use the z6 harness. its a 2 part harness that seperates at the shock tower. the 96-98 civic harness is a one piece harness that does not come apart anywhere and runs directly into the cabin and plugs into the ecu.

to convert your car to obd1 you'll need an obd2a to obd1 jumper, and then to convert either your engine harness to accept the obd1 dizzy, or convert the dizzy to work with the obd2a harness plugs. i just did this exact swap on my car and it works fine no problem. this is how i switched the wires from the obd2a engine harness to the obd1 dizzy plugs.

thanks for the info man, so u did a d16z6 motor in your obd2a engine harness? I did that and i did the ckf trick, and now i get a CEL CODE #4, crank angle sensor... So all i need to do is to convert my obd1 dizzy to my obd2a harness? how did you fix your crank angle sensor?? i already have a obd2a to obd1 conversion harness with a p28 and i still get the code..
Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/

Hey this site has helped me with wiring issues every time! Goodluck.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xkrazyxjbrkerx75
thanks for the info man, so u did a d16z6 motor in your obd2a engine harness? I did that and i did the ckf trick, and now i get a CEL CODE #4, crank angle sensor... So all i need to do is to convert my obd1 dizzy to my obd2a harness? how did you fix your crank angle sensor?? i already have a obd2a to obd1 conversion harness with a p28 and i still get the code..
why did you do the ckf trick? obd1 ecu's don't look for a crankshaft fluctuation sensor..

i never had an issue with my crank angle sensor. my car started right up after converting the distributor plugs and plugging in the p28. all i can figure is either you have the wiring wrong or the dizzy is toast.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why did you do the ckf trick? obd1 ecu's don't look for a crankshaft fluctuation sensor..

i never had an issue with my crank angle sensor. my car started right up after converting the distributor plugs and plugging in the p28. all i can figure is either you have the wiring wrong or the dizzy is toast.
I put the d16z6 motor in, plugged everything in with the obd2a wire harness, Vtec is not working. CEL #4 was still active no matter what, thats what i was thinking... i thought the obd1 wouldnt even recognize that crank angle sensor but i guess it did.. but I THINK I DID IT ALL WRONG... GOT A P28 ECU, OBD2A TO OBD1 CONVERSION HARNESS, Wideband was not working right when we depined it the the obd2a wire harness. ... funny thing was that it worked when we pinned it into the conversion harness.. i think i have to pinn everything on the conversion harness than the wireharness..
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93DXEG
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/

Hey this site has helped me with wiring issues every time! Goodluck.
usedd that site to as well. thanks though!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xkrazyxjbrkerx75
Wideband was not working right when we depined it the the obd2a wire harness. ... funny thing was that it worked when we pinned it into the conversion harness.. i think i have to pinn everything on the conversion harness than the wireharness..
you did what now? no wires from a wideband should be tied into the ecu harness.. if you have an aem wb for example you'd have a power wire and ground wire, and then 2 outputs. one analog, one rs-232 serial. neither of which the stock ecu can interpret. sooo did you mean narrowband by chance?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you did what now? no wires from a wideband should be tied into the ecu harness.. if you have an aem wb for example you'd have a power wire and ground wire, and then 2 outputs. one analog, one rs-232 serial. neither of which the stock ecu can interpret. sooo did you mean narrowband by chance?
No, i got a aem wideband, hooked it up to the conversion harness so we can do some tuning :] so the computer can read it while tuning it on the laptop... so tomorrow were gonna do the ckf trick on the conversion harness to see if that works.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh ok, cause you hadn't mentioned anything about tuning up till now so i was like wtf lol

that aside, i still don't understand why you need to bypass the ckf. the p28, an obd1 ecu, does not look for it.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh ok, cause you hadn't mentioned anything about tuning up till now so i was like wtf lol

that aside, i still don't understand why you need to bypass the ckf. the p28, an obd1 ecu, does not look for it.
yes... i am confused about that.... maybe the car is under my old motor?? in the tuning program? maybe i need to switch it to d16z6? idk man... it could just be the obd2a harness looking for the signal? i have absolutely no idea....or maybe its looking for the ckp sensor because obd1 have it in the dizzys..
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obd0,1, and 2 all have the ckp in the dizzy. obd2 is the only one with the ckf. i'm not sure about the tuning software looking for the ckf, but i suppose it could be possible. especially if you're sure that is the code you are getting, and that should not be possible on your current ecu lol.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

obd0,1, and 2 all have the ckp in the dizzy. obd2 is the only one with the ckf. i'm not sure about the tuning software looking for the ckf, but i suppose it could be possible. especially if you're sure that is the code you are getting, and that should not be possible on your current ecu lol.
idkkk... im gonna do the ckf trick on the conversion harness.. if that doesnt work im just gonna take it to a shop, im sick of this LIMP mode
Old 08-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Trial User

just put a d16z6 in my 96 im i pose to have just 2 wire let in the back of he motor
Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You'll have one wire connector for the knock sensor (the Z6 doesn't use it, round plug one wire). Also you'll have one plug by the crank pulley for the (CKF sensor, two wire square plug) because the Z6 doesn't use that either. The Z6 also uses the intake air temp sensor in the intake manifold (round plug, two wire) and the OBD2 SOHC's use it in the intake box or intake arm (two wire square plug) so you'll have to wire up that connector as well. The Z6 also doesn't use a secondary O2 so you can leave that plugged in but you won't use it with the P28 ECU. Finally the Z6 doesn't use the same vacuum emissions sensor (the OBD1 is round) on the fuel rail as the OBD2 SOHC (square plug) so you'll have that left over too. So unless you convert to OBD1 and use the P28 you'll throw some codes.