Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help with build up

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with build up

ok guys its been awhile since i posted in here last, but this is the only place iw ould come for tech advice. so here goes...

i just recently got my B18B motor swap for my EK coupe. for anyone that doesnt understand that its specifically a LS motor from a 95 integra, going into my 96 civic dx coupe.

i am also in the process of looking for a turbo kit to go on this motor but am seriously thinking about custom building a kit for my desires. i am not looking to build a car for drag racing, but the car will be autocrossed occasionally. i hae done invested enough money in suspension products so thats besides the point.

on to the good stuff....i am asking everyone here for some advice on what should be done INTERNALLY on my motor. keep in mind i am not replacing the LS head just yet, i would think anything that could go in the LS head would swap over to the B16 Si head. correct me if i am wrong. also, machine work is no problem as i have a machine shop that is going to do all my work for me at a very low price...FREE, and i will get some training in as well.

i want about a 10k redline, looking at around 12psi of boost, and nitrous. nitrous will be a two stage kit, with the bigger shot being around 125, just for ***** and giggles when some riced out wrx or evo pulls up next to me wanting to race. (some reason i get that alot lately, even though my car looks like hammered dog **** since its been through 2 wrecks).

you may flame on my all you want for wanting that much nitrous, flame if you must. i am just looking to build my car to have fun in. and i want it built right.

so there you go, give me what you have, comment or flame all you want. i will check back periodically.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:57 PM

Default Re: need help with build up (BurntRice009)

bump
Old 05-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm well im not to sure, but i dont think ur going to be able to rev ur b18b up to 10k with out breaking somthing. that motor was not made to rev. to begin with and even if u do get it to rev high its not going to last very long at all. if u want to rev high id say u need to slap on a vtec head , to achieve some higher rpm, but if seriously wanting to rev to 10k with a turbo setup i think the b16 woulda been a better choice with its rod ratio, problem is most cams that allow u to rev that high are for NA setups, to make alot of power u dont need to rev up that high with turbo, so i think u should take the 10k redline out of ur goals . sorry just my opinion
Old 05-29-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Re: need help with build up (igotyofire)

yes i agree now. i was doing some logical thinking while driving down the road today. i am thinking a redline between 8500 and 9000 is good enough. considering most turbo cars still redline around 7500 stock at the highest. i am also going to go ahead and purchase the B16 head. as for the rods go...all that will be replaced when i tear into the motor. thats the purpose of this thread. i know there are some very high priced parts out there that could go inside this motor, but the highest priced isnt always the best. i know right now that the block is going to be sleeved, but i am not sure of what rod/piston/bearing combo to go with or what bore it should be. i am gonna keep the stock crank for now, lightened flywheel, lots of headwork (not sure of parts there either). prolly going to run around 6-8psi normal driving but wont turn it up to more than 12psi for hard driving. definately going to build a custom turbo kit, just not sure of what turbo i am going to get. not one thats too big cause when running on little boost i dont want my car lagging around at normal everyday driving speeds.

so if anyone can help out...what kind of parts should i go with for my internal block/head work? thanks in advance.

by the way what happened to all the helpful people out there that use to post ALL THE TIME???
Old 05-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the point of sleeving, putting new pistons, rods, and bearings, when you're only going to boost 12psi????
Old 05-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Default Re: need help with build up (EVIL Hx Coupe)

I guess he just wants to be on the safe side when he sprays the crap out of that motor while in full boost. hahahahaha I wonder how long this motor is going to last you. B18B with 12psi turbo is good enough. What's the point of the 125shot of nitrous. You really want to either blow your motor or go fast and not able to stop????
Old 05-29-2003, 02:59 PM

Default Re: need help with build up (JDM_ek9)

ok yeah the 125 shot is a little ridiculous...you gotta know i had alot of stuff running through my mind when i typed all that up, and i am just now realizing where i went a little out there.

the reason i am going to sleeve the block when i change all that out is for safety reasons. i have had motors blow on me, and have known numerous people that if they had sleeved their blocks they wouldnt have ever had problems out of their turbo cars. i might eventually go higher than 12psi but i doubt seriously that i would go above 8psi for normal driving. as for the nitrous kit, might not even go with a two stage nitrous kit, i dont really know what i was thinking then. only time i would spray is if i really needed it or just wanted to have a little fun. oh by the way, braking is already being upgraded seriously. keep the comments coming....
Old 05-29-2003, 03:11 PM

BurntRice009: If you have access to a machine shop, why mess around with nitrous? Build the block to be bulletproof and crank the boost. I don't mean to oversimplify things but really...is the extra headache with running a 125 shot worth it? Save your money on the nitrous and get good engine management and tuning.

This should give you a basic idea of what a strong block consists of: click

Then you might give the FI forum a try.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with build up (delsolguy)

i wouldn't buy the b16 head yet, you have to think about it, it will help you get some higher rpm power, but then when u go to tune the car u now have to deal with vtec. it will be easier to tune without it, just somthing to think about it, you kinda gotta wiegh, do u need to rev that high to make that power that you want or can u just turn up the boost to compensate, a sleeved block will be plenty enough to handle well over 12psi also. but then depending on which size turbo you want to go with that higher rpm mite help it make more power. i say you do some more research and figure out what turbo setup you want to go with 1st, then build the block to suit its needs.