Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help! Blew head Gasket...157k motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Need help! Blew head Gasket...157k motor

I bought a 1995 del sol that someone put a d16z6 into (used to have a 1.5) the odometer says 157k which means nothing i know, but just for referance.

I dont know how many miles on the engine but it ran real strong before the other day when i lost power and coolant started shooting out the exhaust and i overheated (redline).

So, my question is...throw a headgasket in and go ...or put in a rebuilt engine?

New to honda's so please be gentle with me. (I came from Jeep CJ7's all my life)
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help! Blew head Gasket...157k motor

Whats up pschiller!! Welcome to the fun world of hondas my man(Or girl). Well you can swap out motors or just get your head checked out and see if it was warped. If it didn't get warped then you got lucky. If you have the time and money since you just had a major break down. look into having someone rebuild it since you don't know the exact mileage. Some will say that if it ran strong why mess with it. But I look at it as You have no idea on piston rings or bearings or really anything. so while you need repairs why not do the whole thing. Or swap a bigger motor in.

Seriously though do yourself a favor if you decide to try to fix the headgasket get the head checked out. how bad did it overheat? to the point it shut down or did you turn it off?

hope this helped.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i blew a head gasket this summer and i had to replace my head cuz it warped and yeah i put my rebuilt head on the new valve seals made to much compression for the old rings so i recommend changing rings so might as well do a rebuild or just a new motor....thats what id do..
Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carfreak2020
i blew a head gasket this summer and i had to replace my head cuz it warped and yeah i put my rebuilt head on the new valve seals made to much compression for the old rings so i recommend changing rings so might as well do a rebuild or just a new motor....thats what id do..
im sorry but i fail to see how new valve seals make compression for the old rings??? valve seals have nothing to do with compression, the only thing valve seals do is keep oil that is in the head from leaking down into the intake/exhaust ports of the head and into the combustion chamber.

anyhow, pschiller, how long did you run the car after it overheated? did you shut it off when it went into the red or keep driving it. aluminum is very fragile when it comes to heat, so we need to know how long you let it run

if you shut it down WHEN it first started to overheat you could probably just get away with a headgasket.

now if you drove it for a while, then you could have major problems.
one the head is more than likely warped, and so may be the deck of the block

about rebuilding the engine, you could throw a set of rings and bearings in for cheap and have almost a brand new engine minus the pistons and condition of the cylinder walls.

rebuild is your choice, but if you have any future plans of adding some boost or just want a more reliable engine, I strongly reccommend
Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^like what he said.

If you didnt let it overheat long.

I would just do a head gasket swap.

the whole gasket swap with the right tools will take you about an hour and cost about 40 bucks.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I happen to have the same problem. What if you didnt leave it for a long time. But then when i was trying to find out the problem my friend heard a little wistle sound from the bac of the head. ??? we checked everything else and its still overheating