Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help on bleeding brake lines.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 08:48 PM
LL
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on bleeding brake lines.

Need help on bleeding brake lines. Just did a rear disk brakes swap on my 98 civic. Have a few questions hopefully someone can help. Do I need to bleed all 4 brakes or only the rear ? Also, please explain the bleeding procedure. Thanx in advance.

LL
Old 07-22-2001, 09:20 PM
New User

Default Re: Need help on bleeding brake lines. (LL)

Ok this is how I believe it is done, if I'm not mistaken. Start with the rear brakes and the first one is the wheel opposite from the side the brake booster is on. I believe that would make it right rear.

Jack the right rear side up and put a jack-stand to support it. Remove the wheel and visually inspect the brakes. Locate the brake bleeder valve. Find a crescent wrench that fits it. Have someone manually pump the brake pedal a few times until it gets hard and tell him to hold the brake pedal down. Loosen the bleeder valve and there should be air that hisses out and maybe a little brake fluid. Close the valve completely. Have the friend pump the brakes and hold again. Release the valve again. Repeat the proess until there is no more air, just fluid. And make sure you chake the level of brake fluid in the resevor, don't let it run out or you'll be doing everything all over again. I think you only have to bleed the Right Rear side.
Old 07-22-2001, 09:39 PM
LL
New User

Default Re: Need help on bleeding brake lines. (vtec-nut)

vtec-nut: Thanx for the reply. One thing I am not sure is before I close the valve complete, should the pedal be released or still keep the pedal pressed ? Also, even though only the rear disk brakes are being swapped. I still need to bleed all 4 ? Thanx again.

LL
Old 07-23-2001, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

once you tighten the valve you can release the pedal. from personal experience: try to time it so that you open the valve when the pedal is on the way down (don't open it early). close valve before they finish pedal stroke. this way, there is always pressure outward so that air has less of a change to get in. i would go ahead and bleed all four-- might as well do some routine maintainence on the others. and if your pedal is mushy, do it again until it isn't! bleeding order: right rear, left rear, right front, left front. since Honda's have the dual diagonal you can go right rear, left front, left rear, right front. i think either one will give the same results.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:30 PM
LL
New User

Default Re: Need help on bleeding brake lines. (minh)

Thanx guys for the reply. I went ahead and bleeded all 4 and it works. You guys are right that the pedal has to be pressed when the valve is being tighten. I think the sequence on the 6G is different I guess. On the Honda manual, it starts from (1) passenger rear, (2) driver front, (3) driver rear, (4) passenger front. Now my problem is the parking cables, I got both cables from the same teg which I took the disk brake from. The passenge side cable fit perfectly, but the driver side seems to be about 1-2" short. Am I doing something wrong or is there an adjustment for the parking cable besides where the hand-brake ?
Thanx again.

LL

Old 07-23-2001, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to reroute the cable, it can't go back like stock if you want it to fit...on mine, I ran it as directly as possible to the hole in the console. otherwise, it won't fit....you shouldn'd have any slack when you are done, but if you do, just zip tie the cable to the nearest stationary object
Old 07-23-2001, 02:10 PM
LL
New User

Default Re: Need help on bleeding brake lines. (DragIIcivic)

DragIIcivic : I think I got what you are saying and I think that make sense. I was trying to fit all the brackets into the same location as the civic. I guess teg cable is a little shorter then. By re-routing the cable, it is going straight from the brake to the hand-brake instead of zig-zag. I will try that. thanx again.

LL
Old 07-23-2001, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup you got it, you won't be using any of the factory brackets...just go directly to the ebrake assembly
Old 07-23-2001, 04:07 PM
LL
New User

Default Re: Need help on bleeding brake lines. (DragIIcivic)

Just to update on what had happened. I finally got the driver side parking cable to attached. It was quite a struggle since the cable is a little shorter. Even when the hand-brake is released, there is still a drag on the wheel, but not much. Since it is just a little drag, I will just drive for a few days so the pad will be a little thinner then. Went to do an alignment, toes were all off. Got it fix and now just need to break it in. There are rust all over the brakes, should be gone in a few days of driving. Thanx again for all your help. Good luck in your upgrades.

DragIIcivic : I thought I would try this first before redo the bracket and it works. I was lazy to climb under the car to redo the brackets. Thanx for the suggestions though. If the hand-brake is still too tight after a few days, I may have to redo the brackets. Thanx.

LL