Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help with Autometer Tach Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 05:32 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Autometer Tach Install

ok, so i bought a used tach from a guy and i've got everything wired up correctly. got two problems. when i had my old tach, it idled at 750 but this one is idling at 1k rpm. also, how do i set the redline? there's the dial that says "set and shift" and then the little red button that says "push to display". when the ignition is off, and i turn the "shift/set" button, nothing happens. the same for the "push to display" button. is this thing broken or an i just overlooking something really easy?

here's a pic. sorry for the size.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install (vtecb20coupe)

about the idle, did you check to make sure that its set for 4 cyl. im not sure if these tacks have that option but its a guess
Old 12-16-2003, 06:03 AM

You will prolly find all those questions in the manuel?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:11 AM

ok...

you are probally idleing aroudn 1000....the autometers are precise

and to change the shift light, turn the car on, but don't crank it. when it recieves the tach signal...it takes away the ability to move the needle with the dial.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93civicEX)

With the shift-set button, I believe it operates by pushing the button in and then turning it, but I could be wrong. It has been so long since I have messed around with one of those things. The "push to display" button simply shows you the shift point the tach is set for. You can push it and it will go right up to where you set it to shift. Use these features when the car is on of course, as the tach as has no power when your car is off. Also, as far as the whole 4-6-8 cylinder thing goes, there should be a brown wire loop and an orange wire loop on the back of the tach. I think 4 cylinder you cut both of those, 6 you leave brown uncut, and 8 you leave both uncut, but I could be wrong about the order...
Old 12-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (93civicEX)

I have the same tach. How many of the looped wires are cut in the back? For 4 cyl the brown and orange need to be clipped.

The manual can be downloaded here: http://www.autometer.com/hp/in...j.pdf

Modified by dwnthehatch at 10:25 AM 12/16/2003
Old 12-16-2003, 06:18 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

yea, i clipped both the orange and brown wires. idle at 1k though? so my autogage tach i just removed was incorrect with a 750 idle? but this autometer tach with a 1k idle is correct?

as for the manual, it's used so it did not come with one. thanks for the help so far. so, turn the key once and then push and turn the **** to set the shift point, correct? what if nothing happens?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:20 AM
B A N N E D

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The manual can be downloaded here: http://www.autometer.com/hp/in...b.pdf

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the link.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecb20coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecb20coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks for the link. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oops! I gave you thee wrong one. Here's the right one: http://www.autometer.com/hp/in...j.pdf
Old 12-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to set the shift point...turn the car on but you do not need to start it...push in the red button and hold it down while turning the black button
Old 12-16-2003, 06:42 AM
B A N N E D

oh, so there is a difference in the two. anyhow, thanks cause i'd of been lost and ready to curse the seller out if it still didn't work. i'll check what the instructions say in about an hour and hopefully i won't be disappointed.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:52 AM

contact auto meter and they will help you out they have awesome reps
Old 12-16-2003, 07:32 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install (scratchy)

ok, now i'm pissed. i did just what the link told me to do. push the red button in while turning the black **** and nothing happens. before i overreact, is there anything that i could be forgetting?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the ignition on?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:25 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install (dwnthehatch)

i tried to turn it one click and do it and then the second time, i tried to turn it two clicks before attempting the adjustment. nothing happens.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:30 AM

One of my friends has one of those, and I used to mess with him and change his shift point as low as it could go(he had no need for the light anyway).. All I did was push the BLACK **** in and turn it.. then press the red button to display where it is set. so DO NOT push the red button when setting.. I could change it when the car was driving as well.. Don't know if that one is different, but try that.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Multi-paradigm

You're not supposed to hold the red button to adjust shift light activation.
Turn your car on in Accessory mode (one before engine ignition). As in...the mode your power windows/stereo SRS, CEL, seatbelt, etc. lights turn on.
When in this mode the needle should jump to the currently set redline. Just turn the adjustment left or right to point the needle to the desired "shift point." Turn car off. Done.

(Don't turn the know while driving...I've seen some Autometer guages where, if you turn the know while driving, it'll change the shift indicator RPM setting (without displaying it))

P.S. And I can't remember..it's been a long time since I used an autoguage tach but, the SHIFT-SET know- Don't you have to remove the cap off of it first? (Refer to the pic. Is that the actual ****? or is that black thing a cap on top of the ****?). Because I seem to remember Sport-Comp series' guages having thinner, wierd looking *****.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:29 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install (R_EJ1)

when you turn the car on to accessory, the needle sits at 0. when you take the key out, the needle jumps to about 600 rpm. you can turn the black **** around and around in circles and the needle doesn't move. when you just press the red button by itself, the needle does nothing either.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:32 AM

Push the display button in. Push the black button in and turn it to adjust it. You have to push the black button in or turning it does nothing. Mine also idles at around 1000 RPM on the same exact tach.

Modified by King Tut33 at 2:49 PM 12/16/2003
Old 12-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install (King Tut33)

the red button just shows you where you have the shift light set.

To SET the shift light, push in AND turn the black **** to whatever RPM you want, then release it.

Then push in the red button, and see if the needle goes to the RPM you want to shift at, if it does, you're set.

If it's not, redo the black ****...again, push the black **** in and at the same time turn it....release it at whatever RPM you want to shift at.

BTW, Autogauge tachs suck....if the autometer says you're idling at 1,000 RPM and you have it set for a 4 cyl, then that's what you're idling at. They're dang accurate.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecb20coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you turn the car on to accessory, the needle sits at 0. when you take the key out, the needle jumps to about 600 rpm. you can turn the black **** around and around in circles and the needle doesn't move. when you just press the red button by itself, the needle does nothing either.</TD></TR></TABLE>
How did you wire this thing up? If there is power going to it then you know it works, there isn't much to making these things work?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install (Jonathan_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the red button just shows you where you have the shift light set.

To SET the shift light, push in AND turn the black **** to whatever RPM you want, then release it.

Then push in the red button, and see if the needle goes to the RPM you want to shift at, if it does, you're set.

If it's not, redo the black ****...again, push the black **** in and at the same time turn it....release it at whatever RPM you want to shift at. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I said except why make it difficult just hold in both buttons so you can see the shift point move as you trun the black ****. The hard part is releasing the black **** once you set it and it not turning at all while you release it. Normally takes me a few tries. I think his problem is just that he needs to PUSH IN THE BLACK **** AND TURN
Old 12-16-2003, 10:58 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install (King Tut33)

i've done everything you all have told me to do. whether i push the black **** in and then turn or press the red button and then press and turn the black ****, the damn needle will not move on accessory OR ignition. how can i tell if this thing is broke?
Old 12-16-2003, 11:00 AM
B A N N E D

push in the red button, the needle goes nowhere. push and turn the black ****, the needle goes nowhere.

by the way, the autogage one i had was fine.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:03 AM

Have you done it with the motor running in the ON position. I always adjust mine just fine with the car running. I push in the display button, it shows my shift point. I push in the black **** adjust it and release it. Then I release the display button. If yours doesn't do that, then yours is straight broke.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Autometer Tach Install