Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help ASAP, rod knocking? oil pump going out? d16z6

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 05:07 PM
SCAM ARTIST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ASAP, rod knocking? oil pump going out? d16z6

Alright i have a d16z6 in my hatch and today the oil light came on, i pulled over and checked the oil and theres oil in the vehicle.. I go home and park it and drive my alternate car..

Today i start to car up and it has a noise.. it sounds like it's coming from the valve cover or the side of the motor were the timing belt is at.. it doesn't <u>always</u> do it.. i can rev the car up and it will stop but when the rpms drop the noise/knock/pinging sound returns.. I have no idea what the problem is.. i'm thinking maybe the oil pump is going out or the screen needs to be cleaned BADLY..

What in the hell is wrong with it? I need my car running.. its my 24-7 daily driver
Btw: car has 110,000 miles and just had timing belt,waterpump,valve seals,headgasket,camseal and timing belt tensioner changed around 4,000 miles ago..

thanks honda-tech!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Need help ASAP, rod knocking? oil pump going out? d16z6 (EV1L SI)

Its not your conrod... if it was it would knock the more you rev.

Oh and it's best to check your oil when the engine is cold.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 PM
SCAM ARTIST

Default Re: Need help ASAP, rod knocking? oil pump going out? d16z6 (james p.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by james p. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its not your conrod... if it was it would knock the more you rev.

Oh and it's best to check your oil when the engine is cold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

alright i will check the oil when it's cold, if it's not a rod then what the hell could it be?

i think i'm going to pull the oil pan off tonight and look around and clean the screen with brake cleaner..

any suggestions?

Old 06-30-2005, 07:14 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i say rod knock its the right age for a z6 to start doing it. the symptoms math each time my wife killed her engine before she got a B series.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 PM
SCAM ARTIST

I need help and opinions..

The car isn't doing it as bad as it was doing it..
do you guys think some 20w 50 oil would stop the sound?

I would like to fix it the right way or have it fixed the right way.. but i don't know what you haft to do if it is a rod knocking.. new pistons and rods or what?

do you guys think it could just be my oil pump failing..

the sound is there but it's just not as bad and it isn't even doing it ALL the time..

help!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:47 PM
SCAM ARTIST

Could it be possible that it could be a spun bearing??

If so can the bearings be replaced and then everything ''okay''?

The oil light flickers on and off earlier and now the oil light isn't even on..

comments and suggestions are highly appriciated

Old 06-30-2005, 10:48 PM
SCAM ARTIST

bump, help a fellow ht'er out!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drain your oil. Drop your oil-pan and look for metal shavings in it.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EV1L SI)

Sounds like your oil pump is going out... I have the same prob. w/ my DA... a rattle sound and a light every now and then and then nothing for a while, oil level is good... also might be your oil press. sending unit, you can get one at Napa for $12. Try that before you start tearing it apart and spending $... just my .02.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:47 AM
SCAM ARTIST

Alright last night i drained the oil and i see no metal shavings in the oil..

where is the oil pressure sending unit located?? and how hard is it to replace

do i need to pull the oil pan off???

Is there a good chance that the engine is about to blow at any time now???

thanks honda-tech

bump,
Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM
SCAM ARTIST

bump
Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Need help ASAP, rod knocking? oil pump going out? d16z6 (EV1L SI)

Usually you wont hear the pining knocking untill your in high revs.

But who knows...
Old 07-01-2005, 06:50 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife had 2-3 engiens go out like htis. oil level was fine, but sometimes the oil light owuld flicker all teh time, or would come on and stay on for a while. then one day it came on and stayed on all the time, not too long after that she heard a noise and then a rod popped out the side of the block.
btw this was before she met me, but the last one did like that when we were starting to date.

anyway if you have low oil pressure its either your oil pump going out, a bad sensor/wiring (maybe the sensor wire is hitting the axle), or worn bearings.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its your power stearing
just check it when the cars of move the pulley back and fourth i bet its loose and no good
Old 07-01-2005, 08:58 PM
SCAM ARTIST

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my wife had 2-3 engiens go out like htis. oil level was fine, but sometimes the oil light owuld flicker all teh time, or would come on and stay on for a while. then one day it came on and stayed on all the time, not too long after that she heard a noise and then a rod popped out the side of the block.
btw this was before she met me, but the last one did like that when we were starting to date.

anyway if you have low oil pressure its either your oil pump going out, a bad sensor/wiring (maybe the sensor wire is hitting the axle), or worn bearings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A bad sensor? which sensor are we talking about that i can check and see??
do you guys think the oilpick up could be clogged??
do you guys think that if i go and buy some oil flush stuff and run it and it may clean it up.. ( the screens on the oil pickup )

Do you guys think running 20w-50 oil could fix the problem??

btw: i'll check the ''power steering'' but i highly doubt that's it..!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possible spun bearing..?

bump for chazz
Old 07-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmhatchness)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmhatchness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its your power stearing
just check it when the cars of move the pulley back and fourth i bet its loose and no good</TD></TR></TABLE>
yep

a power steering problem definatley causes the oil light to come on

you need to get an OP gauge put on the engine ASAP. you could be doing a ton more damage by repeatedley testing to try and find the source of the noise. odds are its the oil pump and you have spun bearing(s).
Old 07-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help ASAP, rod knocking? oil pump going out? d16z6 (Hondaciv95VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaciv95VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Usually you wont hear the pining knocking untill your in high revs.

But who knows...</TD></TR></TABLE>
there are several degrees of pump faiulre and enigne damage. it could happen anytime the car is running.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:28 PM
my house has wheels on it

an easy way to diagnose a rod knock is to remove the plug wire from the suspect cylinder, usually if its a rod bearind the tick/knock will go away until you hook the cylinder up to make it start firing again
Old 07-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kamin you ******* idiot he said knocking not alwayz ok when your power stering goes out it rattles so get your **** straight you ******* nerd
Old 07-01-2005, 09:35 PM
SCAM ARTIST

alright, how much are oil pressure gauges?
i'm gonna start pulling each individual plug wire while it's running.. figure out if in fact it is a rod knock..

also after i do get a oil pressure gauge on it.. if i do have oil pressure what could the problem be and if i don't have oil pressure what could the problem be??

if in the event it's just the oil pickup clogged.. do you guys think if i ran some engine flush for a few minutes it could possibly free up the gunk, or dirt,etc..?

let me know something

thanks for your all's help

Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssWhiteboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an easy way to diagnose a rod knock is to remove the plug wire from the suspect cylinder, usually if its a rod bearind the tick/knock will go away until you hook the cylinder up to make it start firing again</TD></TR></TABLE>

A knock at startup and low rpm is usually the oil pump starving for oil. Like you said eariler, pull the pan and the pick up tube, if there's a bunch of metal in it something is fucked. Look at the rod caps for discoloration, that is a sign of heat and that menas that a bearing is toast. Also try wiggiling the rods to see if there is any excessive play. Good luck and hope for the best.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmhatchness)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmhatchness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kamin you ******* idiot he said knocking not alwayz ok when your power stering goes out it rattles so get your **** straight you ******* nerd</TD></TR></TABLE>
HEY DIPSHIT try reading the ******* thread you retard

HE SAID HIS OIL LIGHT IS ON, also said the sound is comming from under the valve cover. ******* moron you try and get your **** straight before you try and act like you have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

because you obviously know more than i do, please explain how a power steering pump will cause the oil light to come on

im all ears.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:52 PM
SCAM ARTIST

Default Re: (96-EJ6 B18C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96-EJ6 B18C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A knock at startup and low rpm is usually the oil pump starving for oil. Like you said eariler, pull the pan and the pick up tube, if there's a bunch of metal in it something is fucked. Look at the rod caps for discoloration, that is a sign of heat and that menas that a bearing is toast. Also try wiggiling the rods to see if there is any excessive play. Good luck and hope for the best. </TD></TR></TABLE>

alright will do..

If it is the oil pump how hard is that to fix?? where is the oil pump located??
say it is the pump.. replace the oil pump and then the engine starts getting oil and the engine noise goes away??

is what i'm hoping..

Old 07-01-2005, 10:08 PM

Sounds just like rod knock I had when I bought my car. It isnt cost-efficient to replace if you can get good hookups on a new motor.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP, rod knocking? oil pump going out? d16z6