Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help ASAP Keep Blowing VSS Fuse Already Searched

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP Keep Blowing VSS Fuse Already Searched

I have a 98 Civic With GSR w. JRSC and the car was driving fine for the last couple of months without any electrical problems, thursday as I was doing normal driving my spedometer and alternator cut out. Now I know that means I blew the VSS Fuse under the dash, so I was hoping it was just the 02 sensor wiring like last time, well its not. As of right now I have my alternator unplugged, VSS unplugged and 02 Sensor unplugged. I keep blowing fuses. To blow a fuse I don't even have to turn on the car , I only have to turn it to II just like if you were priming the fuel pump, my volt meter drops to 10 volts and then I watch and hear the spark of the fuse. Where should I be looking for this? Anyone know if I am looking for a bad ground or an open accessory wire? Any Ideas, Its been days since I drove the car any my jeep cherokee sucks ***** and I really really want to go find a victim on the highway
Old 06-18-2006, 03:37 PM

Check for a short to ground.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project_delta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project_delta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check for a short to ground.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what the problem is. I'll even tell you which wire.
The thick white wire going to the alternator is grounding out. Most likely it is rubbing on the passenger shock tower. Trace this entire wire though, it could be grounding elsewhere. Let me know how it went. This wire travels from the fuse box to the Alt.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B20 EJ6)

Wondering why I said Alt wire?? Look at a schematic and you will know.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK but is there power coming through the white wire when the green plug for the alternator is disconnected?

Its blowing fuses on accessory 2 , before I even start it?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (carbonlaced)

check the air intake temp sensor it ties into the same wiring to if i remember correctly. is it fuse number 15
Old 06-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18ccivics)

fuse 15 goes to vss, emmision control canister vent, purge solenoid, o2, an solenoid valve front of fuel tank on some cars.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carbonlaced &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK but is there power coming through the white wire when the green plug for the alternator is disconnected?

Its blowing fuses on accessory 2 , before I even start it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok hopefully I have time to check it out tonight. I need to pick up another value pack of fuses since I went through one already.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wasn't there a TSB for 96-98 Civic's about this particular wiring and how part of the harness was allowed to rub on the underside of the intake manifold causing this exact problem??

I want to say the area to look is more towards the passenger side and under the intake manifold.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

Yeah there was but I am running a GSR motor with a Jackson Supercharger. This harness is nowhere near the charger.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've not seen how the wire harness is routed when using a JRSC, but the harness in question wasn't really rubbing the intake manifold more so than it was rubbing a bracket of some sort. The advice may still not be applicable though.

But if you have everything unplugged from the circuit that the VSS fuse powers, then yeah, you have a short to ground for sure.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

Yeah well first thing I am going to do when I get home is disconnect the white wire from the alternator that runs to the little fuse box for the abs, then it goes to the battery.

I'll that will allow me to find out if it has to do with the white power wire from the alternator, I think it might be, but I have a feeling it might be rubbing agains a wire for the CKP (which I don't have on my car) it also runs on Fuse 15. This has all been one big pain in the *** LOL
Old 06-20-2006, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok looked at it last nighti figured since the fuse is blowing before I even start the car that would give me a good opportunity to locat it, so I unplugged the alternator, 02 and VSS again, with the CKP sensor wire i had loose and not tied up to anything, turned the key and the fuse was still alive, plugged through trial and error it seems to be the wiring for the 02 sensor its the only sensor when plugged in by itself i turn the key and the fuse blows, hopefully there is nothing else after this, but I didnt have time to finnish fixing it because of the thunderstorm last night here I'll have to wait until tonight to try my theory
Old 06-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help ASAP Keep Blowing VSS Fuse Already Searched (carbonlaced)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carbonlaced &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so I was hoping it was just the 02 sensor wiring like last time, well its not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carbonlaced &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plugged through trial and error it seems to be the wiring for the 02 sensor its the only sensor when plugged in by itself i turn the key and the fuse blows,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it at all possible you procure a multimeter?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help ASAP Keep Blowing VSS Fuse Already Searched (EE_Chris)

Yeah I bought one but god forbid that thing came with any instructions whatsoever. It's a guessing game, just like this stupid short
Old 06-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, Changed the 02 wiring, so its all good now, started the car was charging at 14 volts, I was so happy . I lower the car of the jack stands and put the dash back on, turn the key, and then start it, the fuse blows while im starting it, I am so mad right now I am going to cut a tree down and make sure it crushes that car into a million pieces.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone Think I should be considering purchasing a new engine harness for this car? that the short could actually be in the harness somewhere?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's gonna suck to find out the harness is rubbing on something causing the short, which will probably mean the new harness will suffer the same fate. Your call, your money.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I'll play around with some more wires tonight, it sucks it was working for 5 minutes, I tied up the CKP sensor wires and knock which are not in use and then lower the car to find out the fuse is blowing again. Maybe its something there. From when I tied up the wires.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update, the alternator, vss and 02 sensors are all unplugged, however when I start the car it blows the fuse, and I get a code for ELD, electric load detection, which shouldnt happen because the wiring clip is not plugged into the alternator, anyone have an idea now?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ELD has it's own wiring independent of the alternator. Use the meter and check for shorts.

That fuse powers more too - charging light in gauge cluster, EVAP vent valve, EVAP purge valve, EVAP bypass valve and the lights-on reminder circuit in the ECU.

You should get a Helms.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, With everything unplugged the Speedometer jumps up and down and the fuse blows everytime I turn the key to start the car. Conclusion, My car sucks LOL, I think there is a short in the engine harness that runs under the intake manifold. I cant see anywhere else it could be, its either the Blk/wht wire or the blk/yel wire. Both are power wires, one of them may be open somewhere.

All in favour of thinking the harness should be changed say "I"
Old 06-22-2006, 05:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you rewire everything at early morning hours.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carbonlaced &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think there is a short in the engine harness that runs under the intake manifold. I cant see anywhere else it could be</TD></TR></TABLE>

I mentioned this 3 days ago. You didn't seem too interested in the idea. You have a meter - use it!

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP Keep Blowing VSS Fuse Already Searched