Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help asap. Clutch prob? **updated pics** ready to fix this

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help asap. Clutch prob? **updated pics** ready to fix this

well i drove my 97 ek hatch home from school today and i had no problem. i left it parked outside for like 3 hours and when i went to start it the clutch pedal had no firmness to it. it felt like it was loose and when i push the pedal in it doesnt even activate the clutch. i looked at the c. fluid tank and it was below min so i filled it and pumped the pedal and it was feeling better. i drove it for about 10 min and it was doin the same thing. the pedal gets soft and sometimes stays down and of course i cant get into any gears. so my questions are.
1: what the fck is wrong?
2:could having real dirty fluid affect anything, like could there be dirt or build up in the clutch lines and if so how do i clean em.
3. how do you bleed clutch lines and do i need someone else to help

i really need some help from anyone i have to get to school at 4pm so i need this working within 12 hrs

ill post pics of how dirty the fluid is and how the pedal is sticking.

oh and i also need an 98 ex floor harness so i can do my pwr door conversion on my hatch. lmk.

Last edited by slicksweg; 01-29-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help asap. Clutch prob?

First check if you got a leak. If you do fix it. then you'll have to bleed or flush it you can do it by either:
A. With someone(which is a whole lot easier)
The bleeder should be near the transmission and should have a rubber cover over the end of it, take the cap off of the clutch master cylinder, loosen the bleeder and have someone pump the clutch pedal about 15-20 times or so till it gets stiff while the other person is refillling the fluid, then tighten down the bleeder.
B. By yourself.
Put the wrench on the end of the bleeder valve, put a hose over the nipple, put the other end of the hose in a cup of brake fluid, open the valve, press and release the pedal 15-20 times or so till it get stiff. tighten down the bleeder. just make sure you go out every 6-8 pumps and make sure theres fluid in the resevoir.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a leak (check around the actuator rod at the pedal, around the MC, the lines, and the slave)
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone agree.. you have a leak somewhere... you just have to find it..

and from my understanding you don't need the ex floor harness to power your windows.. search on honda-tech and you might find that page that tell you how to power it the other way...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM

alright thanks guys. im going to check where i have the leak right now. btw if it is the slave or master cylinder thats leaking, do i have to replace them and if so how hard is it and how much$$$. ill post the updates in a lil
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM

hey guys. alright well ya its leaking in two places. im guessing what im looking at is at the slave and master cylinder. here are some pics.

so from here what should i do. im kinda new to the honda scene only had this hatch for about 5 mnths now. so what ever i need to do im going to need help along the way. thanks for everything h-t
Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need help asap. Clutch prob? **updated pics** ready to fix this

Clean where the brake fluid leaked...it eats paint

The slave is bolted to the transmission, not as marked in your pic as the master

The master/MC is in the first pic

To go on the cheap, tighten the fitting on the top of the MC and replace the slave, then bleed the system...or if you want to invest a little more (I HIGHLY recommend this), go ahead and replace both MC and slave, and bleed.