Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help with Air Conditioning problem... SoCal has been HOT lately...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:22 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Air Conditioning problem... SoCal has been HOT lately...

My car (93 Civic EX D16Z6) comes with the R12 A/C system. There are some issues which bother me when it's summer in Socal

Problems:

1) My car feels like getting a -30 hp penalty when the AC is turned on. Do you have the same feeling with your AC-turned-on car? It is a lot harder to shift smoothly with AC on and I am guessing it is because too much RPM drop during the shift comparing to normal? Can bad belt, compressor, and characteristic of clutch lead to this issue?

2) When at higher RPM, the AC is a lot less colder than idle to low RPM? Isn't that the higher RPM it is at, the more efficiently the compressor will work? So it was okay cold when I am at the stop light during noon but I will feel hot when I am driving 80mph (3500 RPM) on the freeway. Basically it is like the AC stops working when I step on the gas pedal hard.

Please advice. Thank you
Old 05-26-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Need help with Air Conditioning problem... SoCal has been HOT lately... (fongph)

as for the power loss when the a/c is on, Alittle is normal. You mite just need a tune up. Check your valve lashes, spark plugs, de-carb your engine, see if fuel filter needs to be change, etc . As for the a/c being cold at stops and warming up on the go. I think you may have a possible under or over charged system or you just need to clean of the condenser.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:52 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Need help with Air Conditioning problem... SoCal has been HOT lately... (hondata99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondata99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as for the power loss when the a/c is on, Alittle is normal. You mite just need a tune up. Check your valve lashes, spark plugs, de-carb your engine, see if fuel filter needs to be change, etc . As for the a/c being cold at stops and warming up on the go. I think you may have a possible under or over charged system or you just need to clean of the condenser. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A fresh tune-up was done a week ago for smog check and it passed with flying colors. Timing is 18 BTDC and the compression is good. Seafoamed a month ago which showed there was hardly any carbon buildup and my motor is infact very healthy. It runs like a champion with no AC and runs like a pathetic patient with deadly disease with AC on. I am thinking it may be a lightened pully or a better compressor is needed to fix that?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Need help with Air Conditioning problem... SoCal has been HOT lately... (fongph)

what was valve lash set to?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Need help with Air Conditioning problem... SoCal has been HOT lately... (hondata99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondata99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what was valve lash set to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know but I didn't hear any valve tapping.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:55 AM
* B A N N E D *

Bump, need some help..
Old 05-26-2006, 12:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fongph &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car (93 Civic EX D16Z6) comes with the R12 A/C system. There are some issues which bother me when it's summer in Socal

Problems:

1) My car feels like getting a -30 hp penalty when the AC is turned on. Do you have the same feeling with your AC-turned-on car? It is a lot harder to shift smoothly with AC on and I am guessing it is because too much RPM drop during the shift comparing to normal? Can bad belt, compressor, and characteristic of clutch lead to this issue?

2) When at higher RPM, the AC is a lot less colder than idle to low RPM? Isn't that the higher RPM it is at, the more efficiently the compressor will work? So it was okay cold when I am at the stop light during noon but I will feel hot when I am driving 80mph (3500 RPM) on the freeway. Basically it is like the AC stops working when I step on the gas pedal hard.

Please advice. Thank you </TD></TR></TABLE>
I got a 97 HX. Mine is slow as hell with the A/C on. But mine gets colder when I'm going on the interstate.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with Air Conditioning problem... SoCal has been HOT lately... (PhatBoy5015)

STOP STOP STOP STOP!!

Before you guys go telling someone that they need a tune up because they are experiencing a loss of "30hp" I think you need to understand how air conditioning works:

1.) It compresses freon, which makes heat, and then it releases that pressurized gas, and it makes cold, which is done in a heat exchanger and fan. it then blows the cool air.

Now it takes power from the motor to turn this compressor ....

so if you have a HUGE loss of power when your A/C is on, but your car feels ok with the A/C off.... you need to look at your A/C system.

it is possibile that you have a clog or broken system.
It is not uncommon for the compressor to be pumping WAY TOO HIGH of pressure, which can make your car seem like it lost 30hp. This happend in my system too..

Take it to an AUTHORIZED LICENCESD A/C service center and have it checked out.

NO matter how good you tune your car.. you will NOT make up the loss of power from an over worked A/C condensor