Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help: 98 (stock automatic) Civic shutters and hesitates

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help: 98 (stock automatic) Civic shutters and hesitates

My mom has a '98 Civic - it's stock (except for a modified ECU. Just had the secondary 02 sensor replaced) and automatic - and after it warms up and drives for 10-20 minutes, it starts shuttering and hesitating; almost like it's going to die. This happens while idling at red lights AND while accelerating.

First we brought it into the family mechanic - they didn't know what was wrong; thought maybe it was the computer - and suggested we take it to the dealer. I brought it in to a local Honda dealership...OMGGGGG what IDIOTS!!!

THIS is what they came up with:

Cliffnotes: they basically blamed the problem on the short ram intake, which has been on the car for FOUR YEARS!

I seriously chewed them out for their bs diagnosis...but was still at a loss because I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG with this damn thing!

So, I am planning on taking it in to another (IMO more reputable) Honda dealership...but...was wondering if ANYONE has had this type of problem before. What could it be? I've already heard fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, injectors, but that can't be it. Recently reset the ECU, but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Modified by Jen '92hatch at 7:48 PM 10/1/2005
Old 10-01-2005, 07:11 PM

Sounds like an ECU problem.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: need help: 98 (stock automatic) Civic shutters and hesitates (Jen '92hatch)

is it an hx automatic with a cvt transmission?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: need help: 98 (dynastix9)

No, actually an EX coupe.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:48 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help: 98 (dynastix9)

Haha I work in Rockford Illinois at a local auto store (Sears). We had a customer come in with her honda, and that SAME dealer made up a bunch of bullshit problems. Their cost would have been rougly $800 I think. She was out the door at around $275. We called the dealer and they told us that they have special tools to test the systems better and that we prly didnt fix the problem. We said ok and waited and she never came back for that issue. She did come back for her oil changes and rotates. She said everytime she goes to honda they tell her she needs to spend like $500. ANYWAY, it does sound like a fuel problem. I would try and put the stock air sytem back on just to see what happens. If you dont have it then I dunno.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need help: 98 (turner7205)

are you hot?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:53 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help: 98 (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you hot?</TD></TR></TABLE> Wow you are an idiot. I seriously wanna beat the **** out of you. Most of your posts are like this.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: need help: 98 (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha I work in Rockford Illinois at a local auto store (Sears). We had a customer come in with her honda, and that SAME dealer made up a bunch of bullshit problems. Their cost would have been rougly $800 I think. She was out the door at around $275. We called the dealer and they told us that they have special tools to test the systems better and that we prly didnt fix the problem. We said ok and waited and she never came back for that issue. She did come back for her oil changes and rotates. She said everytime she goes to honda they tell her she needs to spend like $500. ANYWAY, it does sound like a fuel problem. I would try and put the stock air sytem back on just to see what happens. If you dont have it then I dunno.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, we (my uncle and I) were going to try the stock box back on, but we're missing a part. (Maybe I can see if I can find it on eBay, or if anyone on here has it? Damn, I gotta go see what it was we were missing.) I mean, I SERIOUSLY don't think it has anything to do with the intake. I asked the dicks at CL Honda if I put the stock box back on and if it STILL has the same problem, THEN what?! The guy goes, "Well, the air temp gauge may have to be adjusted, blah blah blah." I really don't want these assclowns touching the car anymore.

But wow, yeah, thanks for your story about the other lady you dealt with who also had problems with CL Honda. I used to live in Rockford and work at the Old Navy out there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you hot?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Eat **** dude. WTF does that have to do with the topic at hand?!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help: 98 (Jen '92hatch)

Putting the stock box on is just something to eliminate a possibility. Im not sure about the air temp gauge though. That could just go bad after awhile, and the fact that the computer isnt stock could throw a lot of things off ya know? Im just throwing things out because I like to start with the simple things. Now off topic lol, I love the Old Navy out here. Really good deals, the nicest winter jacket for $10. Gotta love it