Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help with 93 del sol speedo MPH not working

Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with 93 del sol speedo MPH not working

Hi. Well, my speedo is not working. need help please. Here's some info on the car. 93 del sol sohc vtect. RPM works fine, but the MPH does not work. This is a good speedo. I've tested it. also, i have changed the speed sensor. that did not help. Checked the fuses; they are good. The check check engine light is on only when i drive it. when i turn off the car and take the key out, then start the car back up again, the CEL is off. Not sure what this is. I have not pulled the code yet. Does the MPH have any relay to them? is there a wire that might have been cut or disconnected. I've checked all the wire connections behind the speedo. any help

thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: need help with 93 del sol speedo MPH not working

First, pull the CEL code.

Second, check the VSS connector for damage and whether the VSS gets battery voltage and that the wire that runs between the VSS and speedo has continuity. Also check the VSS ground wire for continuity.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cluster itself is likely bad, or you have a wiring problem as RonJ suggests.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 PM

The cluster is good. i tested it on anothter del sol. What is the VSS? Will pull the code tomorrow. thanks again
Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 PM

Nevermind the VSS. found out what it stands for.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, unplug it from the harness, unpin all 3 wires and clean them, it sould work. i did it with mine
Old 03-21-2009, 05:01 AM

i have a 94 hatch and the speedo is not working but the rpm's are and i have been on E for like a day and still no light is coming on idk wats going on any help like this guy asked for is good thanks alot
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
First, pull the CEL code.

Second, check the VSS connector for damage and whether the VSS gets battery voltage and that the wire that runs between the VSS and speedo has continuity. Also check the VSS ground wire for continuity.

what's up guys? thanks for your replys. finilly pulled the code. it came out one long blink and 7 fast ones. i think it is #17. did some searching and it is the VSS. Switch out a good one and still no luck. does anyone know if there is a relay or fuse inbetween. i think i might have a short somewhere or a cut wire. How do i check for vss and speedo for continuity and the vss ground wire for continuity? What color is the wire between the vss and the speedo? and what color is the ground for vss? I think there is three wires. is one wire ground, one gattery voltage and one running back to the speedo? thank you again.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the same problem changed the sensor and ecu wit no luck
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM

what's up guys? finally got it working. did a lot of checking and probing around and found out that it was the plug from the vss. i had power going to the vss but on power going to the speedo. if you guys are having trouble with yours,check the wires and plugs. waht happened was the inside of the plug, one of the metal piece was broken. at first it was not so obvious. luckly, i have another del sol to work with. check code, then the vss for power and continuity. the black ground, the middle one i think is yellow and blue. that one, the power goes into the vss. the other wire is yellow and white. that one, the power goes into the yellow and blue and back out through the yellow and white wire to the speedo. I think a lot of hondas are the same way but different color. just find the ground wire and the other are power. same concept. good luck. check these parts first before you waste your money on other parts.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wha u do change the plug?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM

just go to a junk yard and ask for one. i think most hondas are the same. just different color. they are three prongs. i used one from an accord. i slotered it and srink wrapped them. pretty easy. lmk how it goes.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was a fuse
Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man so i just checked the VSS and this is what i found. There is a ground cable on one corner and the other two are power. Could you tell me what you read for voltages. i checked all my fuses elsewhere and they were fine. except for the DRL fuse which was blown. i knew that tho. i havent put my cluster back in the car yet kuz its dark but tmrw should be in....
Old 01-03-2023, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsol909
what's up guys? finally got it working. did a lot of checking and probing around and found out that it was the plug from the vss. i had power going to the vss but on power going to the speedo. if you guys are having trouble with yours,check the wires and plugs. waht happened was the inside of the plug, one of the metal piece was broken. at first it was not so obvious. luckly, i have another del sol to work with. check code, then the vss for power and continuity. the black ground, the middle one i think is yellow and blue. that one, the power goes into the vss. the other wire is yellow and white. that one, the power goes into the yellow and blue and back out through the yellow and white wire to the speedo. I think a lot of hondas are the same way but different color. just find the ground wire and the other are power. same concept. good luck. check these parts first before you waste your money on other parts.
i know it been a ong time. by chance do you remebber if the odometer and trip counter were working
thanks
Old 03-28-2023, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi all. still have a dead speedo. i got a hohdash obd1 reader). the speedp readinf on the obdshows correct on the scanner. yes that is a function on he scanner.
that being said. i assume the ecectric flow is VSS-> sppedo -> ecm. i assume obd reader is getting speed fro mecu? odometer works fine but not trip odometer. ubd reports trip OK

OR does the VSS feed both speedo and ecm. ?

i'm guessing the speedo needs work. before i send it out for repair i wanted to see if any one wle can provide feedback
Old 03-28-2023, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

The VSS signal out splits into two wires about a foot before reaching the ECU... so one wire goes to the ECU and the other goes up to the instrument cluster to drive the speedometer/odometer. You have stated that the odometer works suggests that the signal wire is good... so the speedometer itself is the culprit. This may also be the reason that the trip odometer isn't functioning.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tx i got a copy of the del sol electricak troubleshooting manual. vss goes 4 placesinstrument cluster, roof interlock,. engine control unit and cuise control unit page 33 and 33-1 of manual. so i agree with you, if my OBD-1 is reading the speed from the ecu the VSS is working. i need to double check if the cruise is good or not. cruise was working prior to the speedo issue. hopefulully it still works, i have no idea why the vss feeds into the roof interlock circuit

Old 09-02-2023, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi
quick question
94 del sol. speedo and cruise failed at same time. problem was speedo cluste.r sent out for repair and they fixed the speedo but the cuise still wont set, main switch comes on but wont set. i checked the obvious fueses, pedal switched vss etc. still no cruise, replace brake an clutch pedal buttons
there is a cluster cuise light on the cluster, so im wonering it the is possily a cluster issue causingmy cc issue?
thhey both stopped working at the same time. when i sent it in the thespeedoshop.ong, they were great and i told them both speedo and cruise stopped, maybe they only looked at the sppedo and not cruuise? does any body this thet are connnected.
i have bot body and wlwtrical shop manuals from honda but didnt see the cruise connection but there is a cruise light on the cluster, just not sure if the cluster could be the culprit.
thans for you tme
wayne