Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help on 92 honda civic sedan ex making it a rear wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:48 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on 92 honda civic sedan ex making it a rear wheel drive

I have a 92 honda civic sedan and I want to make it a rear wheel drive for drifting how can I do that?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help on 92 honda civic sedan ex making it a rear wheel drive

Buy a 240SX.

If you have to ask that question, it seems like you need your hand held through literally every single step. Buy a RWD car and you'll save yourself a ton of hassle.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you drift?, do you drift? did you own a RWD car before? ... whay invest a TON of money into making a factory FWD into RWD instead of buying a real thing ... beats me ...

get a cheap RWD or two total them in the process of learning and decide if its a thing for you or FAF: Tokyo was just a movie
Old 07-11-2009, 05:07 PM
New User

yeah also around hear there isnt many 240sx you have to go out of state to get one. anyone who has one wont sell
Old 07-11-2009, 05:07 PM
New User

in syracuse that is
Old 07-11-2009, 05:14 PM

200sx,240sx,300zx,94-98 mustangs,rx7's, ae86's supras, the rare rwd celica(old body),camaros, etc...

i promise you you'll end up spending atleast 6k on trying to make that civic rwd. save the money deal with your fwd and then buy a rwd when you find one that you like.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

import a 4wd civic/integra/wagon...
Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deejay kaygee
I have a 92 honda civic sedan and I want to make it a rear wheel drive for drifting how can I do that?
are you serious?

better have lots of welding knowledge, access to lots of metal, a VERY steady hand, good planning, and teh ability to have the car undrivable for several months while you plan.
it isnt a simple thinig. with RWD, you are now forcing the rear wheels to PUSH the car. twisting forces need lots of support so the boduy wont be crumpled up.

this is why hondas are light weight. since a FWD setup is pulling the car, its not putting anu stress on teh body as it operates.

I suggest if you wanna drift, get a car that they actually use in drifting, AKA RWD stock cars
Old 07-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can do anythin you have deep enough pockets, but be prepared to invest a ton of time and money. Buying rwd car is most defiantly cheaper. But rwd civic conversion is nothing new. I would look for a BMW (e30) for 2 grand and build a cheap drift car, as I am sure there a a shitload of those in syracuse.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen it done, a person grafted the front of an Integra into the rear end of another integra, making it a rear engine, rear wheel drive. Another person swapped an LS1 into a Civic hatch.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
I've seen it done, a person grafted the front of an Integra into the rear end of another integra, making it a rear engine, rear wheel drive. Another person swapped an LS1 into a Civic hatch.

ahhh the civette, and that guy has DEEEEP pockets, he also drives a lotus elise, saw that on pass time, but the makin of a rwd will be hard, i would seriously just get something else
Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy my rx7
Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree.....if you have to ask how to do it......you dont need to even think about it
Old 07-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civette
i agree.....if you have to ask how to do it......you dont need to even think about it
truth
Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. post pics of your shop. Does it have a lawn mower and a few hand tools? Or does it look like a race shop or sheetmetal fabricating shop?
2. do you know what a butt weld is? a lap weld? can you actually make a weld that is stronger than the surrounding material (metal will actually tear before the weld breaks)?
3. Can you make said welds overhead?
4. Do you know any fundamentals of suspension design? Do you know how to widen/narrow an axle assembly? What about frame reinforcement (actual design, not welding some random hunks of metal to the subframes and unibody).
5. Do you really want to cut up a civic? C'mon, get real... it's a civic. They're supposed to be fwd. If you want rwd get a s2000, any vehicle mentioned above (v6 mustangs are pretty cheap, nissans are affordable around here also in MI) or all else fails, an old RWD pickup truck with a v8. Add headers, the biggest cam that will work with the torque converter (most are slushboxes), and a performance intake, some 3.73 or steeper gears, and a good positraction/spool and you'll be drifting on the cheap. Also... go for lower wheel/tire weight. Stock steelies and crappy all season tires. Or better yet smaller diameter tires, but that looks kind of gay. It will 'change' the gear ratio so it's numerically higher though. 2wd pickups are really cheap, and with a v8 you can do pegleg brake stands to get you drifting all day if you want out of the box.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said earlier import a 4wd civic or something, you wasting ur time converting one to rwd...
Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to delete your account, sell your honda, buy a geo metro and drive it.

Obviously cars arent your thing, its ok. But attempting this when you have absolutly no knowledge or skill to go off of you're just a liability.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jtmartin96civic

Obviously cars arent your thing, its ok. But attempting this when you have absolutly no knowledge or skill to go off of you're just a liability.
I think a prius or a schwinn would be better.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a great learning opportunity, I don't know why so many people are telling the guy not to attempt this. I say he should go find the necessary parts and equipment and cut up a 4 door Civic and attempt this, then post pictures when it's all cut apart and he has no idea what to do next. It will teach others not to take on tasks that are too advanced for them.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a great learning opportunity, I don't know why so many people are telling the guy not to attempt this. I say he should go find the necessary parts and equipment and cut up a 4 door Civic and attempt this, then post pictures when it's all cut apart and he has no idea what to do next. It will teach others not to take on tasks that are too advanced for them.
well then, it's time to start drinking. I have a total of eleven beers here, and about a half bottle of whiskey. That should keep me from taking this monkeyfest too seriously. Bring it on buddy, all you need is a v8 (any will work), a sawzall, hammer, and some duct tape and JB weld.

I'll sit here sipping away and try to not laugh.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unecessary for you to say this. maybe its a very farfetched question he has here, but it doesnt justify this response
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is just a ridiculous suggestion. Doing something like turning a FWD Civic sedan into a RWD drift car is NOT something that someone with no experience should just dive right into and treat like a crash course. I'm with ChevelleSSLS6 on this one; you need to have a ton of preliminary knowledge and skills before you even attempt something like this. Grabbing a swap and some hand tools and jumping right in is definitely not the right way to go about it.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hushypushy
Grabbing a swap and some hand tools and jumping right in is definitely not the right way to go about it.
A V8 swap... you're right... definatly not a learning experience.

If you want a chance to learn pick up a B-series swap and start looking through the diy's and stickies on the site. and take your time putting it in.

Once the B is in and running start taking apart your D and see what makes it tick. Now theres a good learning experience for someone thats new to things. Also have someone there that can explain as you go.

As for my previous post... I just saw the op's suggestion as a waste of a perfectly good honda, and possibly quite dangerous. Look into motor swaps. Once you get several years under your belt... then you may "consider" this kind of a task.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A V8 swap... you're right... definatly not a learning experience.

If you want a chance to learn pick up a B-series swap and start looking through the diy's and stickies on the site. and take your time putting it in.

Once the B is in and running start taking apart your D and see what makes it tick. Now theres a good learning experience for someone thats new to things. Also have someone there that can explain as you go.

As for my previous post... I just saw the op's suggestion as a waste of a perfectly good honda, and possibly quite dangerous. Look into motor swaps. Once you get several years under your belt... then you may "consider" this kind of a task.
This is a much better approach to someone who doesn't have a lot of experience. An engine swap is still quite the 'involved' project- so I hope (thread starter) has a cheap beater car to use while his civic is being worked on. I use my motorcycle... kinda hard for bigger parts, but for chasing nuts and bolts at NAPA when I was working on my Jeep, it works alright.