Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need to get my car refed in california?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to get my car refed in california?

i need to get my car refed. i called up custom built imports in stockton and they said that they cant ref my b20. why the **** wouldnt you be able to ref my b20. its got a ls head. but they can ref lsvtec. what is the big difference. if anything would think a crv with less mods done to it would be able to pass. i mean come'on they smog crv's, its the same damn engine block, why is it such a problem for the b20. anyways does anyone know of any place that can ref and smog a b20? thanks for everyones help.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: need to get my car refed in california? (rtiadnoh)

the motor has to come from a similar vehicle..like a car motor to a car..

the CRV is considered an SUV truck so that wont work like that..

also since when did they start reffing LSVTECS? head swaps are not legal....
Old 04-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rtiadnoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i need to get my car refed. i called up custom built imports in stockton and they said that they cant ref my b20. why the **** wouldnt you be able to ref my b20. its got a ls head. but they can ref lsvtec. what is the big difference. if anything would think a crv with less mods done to it would be able to pass. i mean come'on they smog crv's, its the same damn engine block, why is it such a problem for the b20. anyways does anyone know of any place that can ref and smog a b20? thanks for everyones help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you cannot ref an LS/Vtec or a CR/Vtec. The B20 is considered a truck motor and is thus not legal in any passenger car chassis in California.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:26 PM

go to custombuiltimports.com they ref lsvtec motors. so they wont allow the ref of the motor cause its considered a truck engine eh. why the heck is the prelude a 2.2 litre and vtec and is a coupe but can be put in for a motor swap. does this mean i need to sell my b20 if i cant get it reffed? what happens to you if you dont have the car reffed and are pulled over?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rtiadnoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to custombuiltimports.com they ref lsvtec motors. so they wont allow the ref of the motor cause its considered a truck engine eh. why the heck is the prelude a 2.2 litre and vtec and is a coupe but can be put in for a motor swap. does this mean i need to sell my b20 if i cant get it reffed? what happens to you if you dont have the car reffed and are pulled over? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I see absolutely nothing on that site that says they will REF a LS/Vtec, or any motor for that matter... If they ARE indeed a licensed smog facility in California and they are passing these engines then they are doing so against the law. You cannot smog something that technically never existed. Not in the state of California at least. The LS/Vtec is a blend of two motors and was never a production engine. It is, as defined by the law, no existant.

I don't know what your comment about the prelude 2.2 has to do with this discussion. Engine size has nothing to do with the B20 being legal or not. It has to do with the fact that it was only sold in an SUV platform and is therfore considered to be a "truck" engine by the definition of the law. The Prelude motor was never sold in any truck, or SUV.... Again, I don't see what your comment had to do with this discussion.

Any way you want to look at it, the B20 is trouble when it comes to getting a cert from the state referee. If you want easy, toss it and get a B18C1 or something.

Edit:

Wait a minute. I just found thier smog section. I find it really amussing how they have thier site setup... Take the turbo setup for example. "This engine was smogged without the turbo but can still pass with it on".. Bullshit.. Know why? See that blow off valve? Illegal to vent to the atmosphere in Cali. So much for that story... Second, the ref sticker... It says "... this can be yours for the starting price of $250 depending on the swap".. What kind of bullshit is this? It cost me no more then $50 at the local ref to get my sticker, so how is some shop going to jack the price up and provide the exact same service? Smell anything fishy yet?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:04 PM

is there anyway i can get the stamp on the b18 engine and just put in on the spot where the b18 is and say its a b18 ls motor. i mean a cop will never know the difference so he'll thinks its a legal engine swap. i cant afford a b18c so thats out of the question. id rather buy a stock si engine and get it smoged and registered like that and just swap the motors back after all that. but i still want to know what will happen to me if i get pulled over and they see that my car is not refed? will they impound it or what. i think someone should have written something on the "how to swap your motor" sites about not being able to get your car refed if you had a b20. does anyone know places in the san francisco/san joaquin area that refs engines? the reason i said the thing about the prelude engine is because its an engine that has more potential/power to be a truck engine than the b20 does. i think they need to change the reason why you cant put the engine in car besides its an engine from an suv. i mean i could understand if it was a 6 cylinder or something that was much bigger than the b20, or if it was a one and only custom job engine swap then it would also understandable. but the engine itself is pretty much a bolt in swap with the right motor mounts and wiring. and if it passes smog why do they car what engine it is? what do they do when they ref your car. what makes it legal and ok to have. ohh yeah where did you go to pay only 50 dollars to get it refed? and what kinda engine you got? and it may be illegal to have a lsvtec refd but they do it and i have seen it and been to their shop to confirm all this. im just mad cause i have the worst luck with **** going smooth and easy. ohh yeah why the heck does the blowoff valve make it illegal. dont greddy turbo kits have blowoff valves that do the same thing. and greddy turbo kits are legal to have in california.