Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEED FEEDBACK civic EG ralley car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED FEEDBACK civic EG ralley car?

Hey guys, I have a 93 cx ITR pwrd hatch, gutted with racing seats and harnesses, and I have a 03 buick regal GS supercharged as my daily. I just bought a 91 MR2 turbo, which is my third car and it needs more boost!. Now I need to ditch one of them and it is breaking my heart to sell my hatch but I cant get by with two sports cars.... Anyway I had a crazy idea and wanted some feedback from you guys. What if I were to sell the buick and convert the hatch to a straight up rally car? All my friends think its crazy but hey they hate hondas in general so I thought I'd ask you guys since we probably think alike. My plan would be: Adjustable coilovers set to the highest ride hieght, full cage and fabbed up skidplate, lsd, ralley tires on hx wheels, and some big lights and I think I'm there. Then I have a bad weather eating little hatch and to my knowledge I would be the first to do this (although I'm sure someone has done it after all its a civic) so what do you guys think?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the money you're going to have to spend .... why not get a better platform?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Re: NEED FEEDBACK civic EG ralley car? (BLUCIVICSl2)

it has been done before.
things you will need.fuel cell.full suspension setup( i dont think you have to raise your ride height because most rally courses are already planned out.racing suits. helmets.gloves.a navigator for directions.and either a short ram or stock intake box. i would run a wider tire for better traction. and then everything you said
Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the money you're going to have to spend .... why not get a better platform?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know I could find a better platform for a ralley car, I work for subaru..... I want to do this cuz i cant sell this thing for anything close to what I have into it, and I dont think it will be too expensive. I'm not really planning on competing with it, just want to say I have a 13 second civic that eats up snowy roads
Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLUCIVICSl2)

anybody think this is cool or am I an idiot for wanting to try this
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I can tell you straight up you're not the first to try this, my friend converted his 1.3L carbed CRX into a rally car in a much similar fashion, put a GSR in there, skid plate, lifted, lights, studded tires, etc. It worked out decent I guess, if you're into that type of stuff it's fine. Most FWD or 4WD/AWD car can make a good rally car with the right adjustments. The original mini cooper took the rally cup by storm when it was first used in rally events way back when. Though define "good" - you won't find any honda civics nor CRXs in the WRC.

I can also tell you straight up that this statement makes absolutely no sense:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLUCIVICSl2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now I need to ditch one of them and it is breaking my heart to sell my hatch but I cant get by with two sports cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which is another way of saying if you sold your Buick you would have 2 sports cars...when the hell did a honda civic become a sports car? I did not get the memo. Even the insurance company is all "WTF??" on that one.

In any event..

I don't think you're an idiot for trying it, but I think it's a waste of money.

If I were you I'd dump the regal, then you have a nicely balanced car setup, you have a nice MR2 which is a good DD as long as it's dry and sunny out, while still retaining good gas mileage, and then if it's winter/cold/wet/snowy you have the civic which is obviously a lot better in the snow and the like.

You're trying to assign each of your cars a purpose, when that's not necessary. It's possible to just "own them both."

I currently have a Tercel, my Honda, and a '88 F250 (7.2L diesel ftmfw). Now it's pretty obvious that the F250 can only be used for hauling **** or plowing, but out of the Tercel and the Civic, they're just there. There's not necessarily a reason to drive one over the other, well, currently there is b/c the tercel has a busted rad and needs new front suspension and I'm too broke to fix it - but if it had a new rad and a new front suspension, They're simply two, economical, reliable, cars. The civic has more power, but worse gas mileage. Though in terms of daily driving it's pretty similar. You don't need to assign a purpose to them, though in your scenario you can simply label them with a purpose as a forced outcome of how good (or not) a turbo MR2 is in the snow/bad weather.

Conclusion:
Sell the Buick, drive the MR2 when it's nice, keep the civic for the shitty days, I wouldn't bother modifying it for anything, just keep it the way it is.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

that would make sense except at this point the civic is modded out like a racecar, gutted, no cat, 2.5" exhaust and I have a half hour highway commute to work... not fun in a loud *** hatch with no cup holders or a radio that you cant hear. Also the civic has yokohamas and they aint too good for the winter so I would need new rims and snow tires. The insurance may not say its a sports car(thankfully) but take one look at it and its obvious
Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say go for it! There may be better options out there if you were looking to start a whole new car , I might suggest something atleast rwd but if you have it now, go for it. I have a grouo of friends here who built a K20 powered 92 VX rally car and its awesome, runs low 13s, high 12s on the 1/4 and does really well at rally events too. I believe at the last 2 rally-x's it ran FTD against everything else there including WRX's and STI's so who's to say you can't do well with a FWD civic