Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need engine swap suggestion for good mpg and performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need engine swap suggestion for good mpg and performance

Hello,

I have a 94 coupe, D15B7, 102hp and it is a blast to drive. I don’t wind it out a lot and get mid –low 30’s around town and upper 30’s highway. I had wanted a VX for mileage and performance, but one wasn’t available at a good price. Now, I have 225k and it’s starting to smoke and the tranny clicks. I’d like to get a new motor/tranny instead of fixing this one. I have a $2000 budget. I mainly drive city.

I read the “swap sticky” but it doesn’t talk about mpg.

1.) What engine/tranny can I swap to, keep the same gas mileage, and get better performance?
2.) Are any street turbo kits below $1500-2000? If so, can you give site or maker?

Looks like the B16A2 Si motor is going to average in the 20’s mpg wise. A D16Y8 averages in the 30’s, but I read it has a highway transmission? What remanufacturer might have a complete D15Z1? [then I’d be getting 40’s mpg!, but less HP]
Is swapping to a V-tec a lot of extra work? I’m a parts swapper, not a mechanic, so if it were a plug & play , that’d be great. I could probably plumb a turbo unit, but wiring and ECU changes for a V-tec would take good instructions!

Ps. I’d read 5th gen was one of the best handling stock models. [plus I like the way it looks] Is there anything I should check or replace at this mileage, without scarifying any ride quality? I have 185-60-14’s.

Also, what are cheap mods everyone should do? I’ve done NGK plugs and synthetic oil. Couldn’t decide which cold air intake and K&N, they are so cheap on Ebay. Can you make a ram-air type thing? I’m in a non-emissions area. Would removing the catalytic convertor help? Is there an exhaust that would help, without making it any louder? Is there an ECU remap that won’t cost mpg? I’m looking for VX or Hybrid rims. Any other cheap weight saving or aero tricks?

I know this is an everything post, but thanks for any input or thread links!...
Old 11-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Need engine swap suggestion for good mpg and performance

you can get awsome gas milage with gsrs and b16s all you got to do is use an ls tranny i got like 28 out of my 91 hatch with a gsr swap and ls tranny and it depends on the ecu to so hope that helps
Old 11-07-2009, 03:53 PM

and no its not to much work to swap a vtec motor just motor mounts get the vtec sylanoid wired up to the ecu and depending on what year motor and car are a harness jumper dizzy and injectors
Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hold on, you said you want performance AND gas mileage, then a see you wanna boost. your kinda defeating the purpose. with my B16 tuned i was getting 26ish in the city and 35ish on the highway. now i have a boosted lsvtec and i get 22ish city and 32 highway if its a long drive. less if its shorter and getting on/off the gas. define good gas mileage for us.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think a D16Z6 or a D16Y8 would be a perfect choice for you. The last fillup in my 93 Si, I got 37MPG for the full tank. That's on the 220k mile original engine with stock I/H/E. My buddy's 00 EX often gets over 40mpg.

That'll be similar gas mileage and 20-30 more HP than your B7, but with much better gearing. First, fourth, and fifth will be the same but you have shorter gearing in 2nd and 3rd; the Z6/Y8 final drive is also a little taller.

You can also look at the B18B1 from the Integra RS/LS/GS. It has a few extra HP (compared to the Z6/Y8) but even more torque. The LS tranny is considered tall geared but it actually has almost the exact same gear ratios as the D16Z6 and Y8 trannies. However, the gas mileage won't be as good.

The B16 tranny is AWESOME around town, due to close gearing and tall final drive. However, your driving style might get the best of you. My friend's 88 STD with a lightly modded JDM B16A gets about 22mpg on a tank, which includes highway driving, because of his heavy footed city driving technique (VTEC is addictive, yo).

Originally Posted by Rustang
Ps. I’d read 5th gen was one of the best handling stock models. [plus I like the way it looks] Is there anything I should check or replace at this mileage, without scarifying any ride quality? I have 185-60-14’s.
Get better tires. Even decent all-season tires will make a huge difference. I just went from stock steelies on Kumho Ecsta HP4 to some 15x7's with Falken Ziex 912's, and the difference is night and day as far as grip is concerned.