Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need DIY for Lug Stud Replacement without Hub Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need DIY for Lug Stud Replacement without Hub Removal

I have a 99 ex basically (1.6el). The hub is rusted onto the knuckle. I am looking to replace the lug stud by grinding off the edge of the new stud and slipping it in. Does anyone know of where I can find a DIY for this, I can't seem to find one with searching? Also, will a 4 and 1/2 in angle grinder work to grind the stud down?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Need DIY for Lug Stud Replacement without Hub Removal

i don't think u can slip the stud in because there is very little room between the hub and the plate behind it. when i replaced one of my studs, i had to take the hub out, at which point the wheel bearing had to come out as well.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 You can use a slide hammer to get the hub off then take it to a shop to get it pressed back in.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you def. will have to remove the hub to replace the stud. My friend took his 99 si to get tires installed at merchants and they cross threaded one. I had to crank the psi way up for the gun to get it loose when we were rotating the tires. Also you will need a press to get the old one out and put the new one back in.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is possible to install the new studs from the rear of the hub. First off are you installing some extended wheel studs or just replacing OEM ones? With the OEM Ones you will not have to remove the hub or grind down anything at all. Just hammer out the old ones and use a lugnut to pull the stud through. If you are installing an extrended stud then you will have to grind down a section of the base and splines to be able to slide it in from behind the hub. how much to grind off i dont really remember but its basically trial and error. Start off little by little until it eventually will fit from behind. Whether this compromises the integrity of the stud depends on the brand of stud you are buying. But still I would recommend removing the hubs to install the studs. You will get a chance to replace the wheel bearing as well.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM

You dont need press to get them in or out. To get them out use a regular hammer or a BFH which ever you want and a punch. Or a junk screwdriver. To get the new one in line up the splines and put a few washers on the thread side then put the lug on and it will pull in. BUT MAKE SURE you get it all the way in.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ixoiiiiviviiivi
It is possible to install the new studs from the rear of the hub. First off are you installing some extended wheel studs or just replacing OEM ones? With the OEM Ones you will not have to remove the hub or grind down anything at all. Just hammer out the old ones and use a lugnut to pull the stud through. If you are installing an extrended stud then you will have to grind down a section of the base and splines to be able to slide it in from behind the hub. how much to grind off i dont really remember but its basically trial and error. Start off little by little until it eventually will fit from behind. Whether this compromises the integrity of the stud depends on the brand of stud you are buying. But still I would recommend removing the hubs to install the studs. You will get a chance to replace the wheel bearing as well.
X2
this is how i do it about once every 2-3 weeks (mechanic)
Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you all for responding. I will NOT be removing the hub. I know it is possible to slip the stud in as some posters described. I would rather pay $60 for a grinder than $250+ to have the hub pulled and wheel bearing replaced.

I will be using an OEM stud.

Does anyone have a link to a DIY of the slip-in method with pictures?

If for some reason I am unable to slide the new stud in with the full base, and need to grind it, do you know if a 4.5" angle grinder will be sufficient?

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ip...rce=GoogleBase

Thank you
Old 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have to grind the new stud, how will you get the old one out? Grind it down like all the way and let it drop out?
A 4.5" grinder will do fine. Any grinder will work, size and power will just dictate how long it will take. I'm sure you could use a file if you had the time.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
If you have to grind the new stud, how will you get the old one out? Grind it down like all the way and let it drop out?
A 4.5" grinder will do fine. Any grinder will work, size and power will just dictate how long it will take. I'm sure you could use a file if you had the time.
I am planning to cut the old stud in half with the grinder before punching it out.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should take pictures of the process, when I had to replace two I had to remove the hub so I would want to see this process for future reference.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just cut the stud so it looks like D instead of O. and just put the flat side so it can slide right in. and yes i used a 4.5" grinder and it was a cheap Ryobi. When i bought my first civic it was missing 2 studs on the drivers side wheel.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys are retarded..

I'd LOOOOOOVE to see someone hack their car up trying to replace a front hub stud.. and a rear stud isn't worth the risk.. You pull the rotor and caliper bracket (2 minutes) and a single nut and VOILA the rear hub is off..

Send me pics of this hack job.. I could use the chuckles.. =]
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gotz2b16
You guys are retarded..

I'd LOOOOOOVE to see someone hack their car up trying to replace a front hub stud.. and a rear stud isn't worth the risk.. You pull the rotor and caliper bracket (2 minutes) and a single nut and VOILA the rear hub is off..

Send me pics of this hack job.. I could use the chuckles.. =]
uhh, put the crack down. we are only talking about the front stud. No one said anything about the rear. Also, no one said anything about cutting anything on the car...only the stud itself.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still.. Hacking studs?!?! LOL!!

Here's something to think about..

If you can't get it out without cutting it, how are you going to get a new one in without cutting it??

Besides, the stud heads are too close to the hub bearing boss in the knuckle.. I'll b*&H $LAP a crack hoe and give you a REAL crack rock if you you can do it without removing your axle! =]
Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I come bearing gifts:

http://hondacivicforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19175
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember this working for 92-95 but not 96-00.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll post the results up here. I'm going to give it a shot soon.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finished mine with ARP's. So far no problems. Thank you Trust for the visual explanation. Anyone know where I can get the hubcentric rings for spacers? Or if it is even necessary for needing the rings?

Last edited by ixoiiiiviviiivi; 05-11-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't know if they're necessary, but for sizing what you do is you measure the bore of the hub on the car (or you can look it up), and measure the bore of the center of the wheel (or wheel spacer in your case). Do it in millimeters.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That write up reminds me of people in oakland (ca) that cut their struts and snot weld metal from orchard to achieve a lift to clear their dubs.. HAHAHAHA

"Donks" are so effing stupid.. Can't believe some of the stuff I read.. Amazing..
Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gotz2b16
That write up reminds me of people in oakland (ca) that cut their struts and snot weld metal from orchard to achieve a lift to clear their dubs.. HAHAHAHA

"Donks" are so effing stupid.. Can't believe some of the stuff I read.. Amazing..
A little butt hurt that you publicly humiliated yourself on a forum?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Snafubmx234
A little butt hurt that you publicly humiliated yourself on a forum?
No.. Depends on what you think I did to publically did to humiliate myself.. If it's that "I proved you wrong" by showing me it CAN be done, not really.. At the beginning I said show me pics, I'd love to see someone hack up their car. You guys showed me pics and I laughed my *** off..

It's just a half *** way to repair your car on a shoe string budget. Just makes it slightly more "hacked up" looking when you actually DO get the money to have someone do it or something else in that area of your car correctly..

I honestly and completely believe your car is an extension of yourself.. You can tell alot about a person and their personality just by looking at their car.. If I was working on it and saw you had some haggard ground up studs holding your wheels on, what impression does that give someone??

The best part is that these embarrassing things are dirty little secrets hidden within your car and nobody will know until you let them in to fix the stuff you regularly couldn't..

I'm not saying I'm perfect or better than anyone else, but that is NOT something you'd catch me doing.. The last thing I'd care to see is me and my car going off the edge of a cliff during a mountain run with 3 wheels cause one of them had a modified stud and over torqued lug nuts from Firestone, big-O or yourself..

Just sayin.. LOL at the hacked lugs.. =]
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, grinding the lug head that little bit isn't going to cause any problems. calm down.

Quick Reply: Need DIY for Lug Stud Replacement without Hub Removal