Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need a bit of answers about barring

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a bit of answers about barring

well the day finally came when i got ticketed for my motor. my question to you guys are 1) do i have to pay the fines AND get my motor barred? or can i just bar the motor and not have to pay the fine. 2) has anyone here who has barred their motor and tried the 10k linear potentiometer trick be successful? and where exactly did you mount that piece?

once again thanks for your help in advance...
Old 04-19-2006, 03:36 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: need a bit of answers about barring (SLoWpOkECiViC)

how about some info on your car and what motor you put in it? that might help us just a tad.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ticketed for a motor (engine**)?

WOrd, CA's a bitch when it comes to tests and **** on cars (restrictions), I would feel bad if it wasn't for all the performance parts/shops that are out there
Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need a bit of answers about barring (sicky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about some info on your car and what motor you put in it? that might help us just a tad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i appreciate all the help i can get, but what car i drive and what motor i put in it is irrelevant to my questions being asked...

i can tell you its an obd2 motor and the wiring will be obd2
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 PM
grammer nawzi

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLoWpOkECiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i appreciate all the help i can get, but what car i drive and what motor i put in it is irrelevant to my questions being asked...

i can tell you its an obd2 motor and the wiring will be obd2</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hate to break your heart but it is not irrelevant. I'm not trying to find out about this awesome sleeper that you built. . .blah blah blah. If your motor is stamped older than your car, not going to pass (i.e. if your car is a 99 and the motor is 98 won't pass). That was the kind of info I was looking for.
furthermore, search, there are tons of threads that deal with getting B.A.R.'d
Old 04-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it does make it irrelevant. if i had asked, "i have a 99 with a 98 motor, will i pass?" then maybe it would be relevant, but i specifically asked whether or not i had to pay the fine IF i pass...and if anyone has tried the linear potentiometer trick and where they placed it...

but once again thanks for the reply...
Old 04-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hate to break your heart but it is not irrelevant. I'm not trying to find out about this awesome sleeper that you built. . .blah blah blah. If your motor is stamped older than your car, not going to pass (i.e. if your car is a 99 and the motor is 98 won't pass). That was the kind of info I was looking for.
furthermore, search, there are tons of threads that deal with getting B.A.R.'d</TD></TR></TABLE>

that not entirely true....there are loopholes. I believe the actual law states that you must update the emissions equipment on the engine to the status of the car. correct me if im wrong (cause i know you will) but what would I know I live in GA I have no cat lol
Old 04-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need a bit of answers about barring (CBEengineering)

well..in cali, you must have the same year engine or newer as your car...only way to get pass that is if you have a jdm engine...they check by scannin the VIN on the motor to tell them what year it is...and since JDM motor dont have a VIN, they cant check....
Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLoWpOkECiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...they check by scannin the VIN on the motor to tell them what year it is.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wheres the VIN on the motor that they scan?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need a bit of answers about barring (ITR#132)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR#132 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wheres the VIN on the motor that they scan?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if you read the entire thing you'd know......

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLoWpOkECiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well..in cali, you must have the same year engine or newer as your car...only way to get pass that is if you have a jdm engine...they check by scannin the VIN on the motor to tell them what year it is...and since JDM motor dont have a VIN, they cant check....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: need a bit of answers about barring (sleeperrex)

Actually, they will also just use the year that is stamped on your head. They are not retards, and they know where to look to find the year. To answer your question, you will have to pay the fine, it's your fault for not having the motor B.A.R.'d when you got it put in.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but what if you had a 99 and used a 94 jdm gsr motor, with a 99 gsr head...how would they find out the block is from a 94? they cant...
Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: need a bit of answers about barring (sleeperrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR#132 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wheres the VIN on the motor that they scan?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well if you read the entire thing you'd know......

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLoWpOkECiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well..in cali, you must have the same year engine or newer as your car...only way to get pass that is if you have a jdm engine...they check by scannin the VIN on the motor to tell them what year it is...and since JDM motor dont have a VIN, they cant check....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did read that part on being JDM. I meant on a US motor, Where is the VIN that they scan? Theres no barcode for them to scan on the motor. The VIN plaque could be easily removed. (And just as easy to replace it with the VIN from the car that the motor is presently in)