Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need answers before i do my oil change...ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need answers before i do my oil change...ASAP!

well the ramps are out on the driveway and the cars lined up but i was thinking of seafoaming thru the oil cap before changing my oil since im in need of an oil change anyways.

but before i try seafoam, how risky is it compared to thru the brake booster line? i know thru the brake booster line, its supposed to clean the carbon built up in the cylinders and stuff but what about thru the oil cap? my cars got 168.8k miles and i dont wanna take a risk like thru the bb line. what does seafoam do anyways thru the oil cap? just break down clobs of oil built up in the head?

and the thing i was worried about with seafoaming thru the brake booster line was that since my car has so much mileage, im afraid any carbon cleaned up will actually cause leaking in the block and that would be a no no since i have no money for repairs or a motor.

need input asap!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need answers before i do my oil change...ASAP! (amej8)

Its your call.

Have you done a compression test recently?
Does your engine burn any oil or coolant?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slamaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its your call.

Does your engine burn any oil or coolant?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive never done a compression test, dont know how, dont have the tools.

yes my engine burns a tiny bit of oil, and leaks. i would hope it would seeing that it has 168,800 miles. my valve cover gasket is cracked at the corners and slowly but surely leaks out the corners b/t the block and head. how do i know? cuz there are black as black can be stuff all down the walls of my block...and yes...its oil.

it doesnt burn coolant as far as i know. ive never seen any smoke coming out my exhaust even when my friends have asked to drive my car.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need answers before i do my oil change...ASAP! (Slamaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slamaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its your call.

Does your engine burn any oil or coolant?</TD></TR></TABLE>

bingo it's your call, I was planning of doing that... also... but like you said what if instead if causes leaks...? So I just said forget it, let us know results!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and the thing i was worried about with seafoaming thru the brake booster line was that since my car has so much mileage, im afraid any carbon cleaned up will actually cause leaking in the block and that would be a no no since i have no money for repairs or a motor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what? it dosent remove carbon from your oil because theres no carbon in the oil, even if there was it dosent affect anything related to seals.

if you read the directions on the bottle it says to use 1/3 a can in the gas tank, through the booster, and in the oil.

*ITS VERY IMPORTANT TO CHANGE YOUR OIL WITHIN 50 MILES OF PUTTING IT IN THE OIL*

just read the directions.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need answers before i do my oil change...ASAP! (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what?

if you read the directions on the bottle it says to use 1/3 a can in the gas tank, through the booster, and in the oil.

*ITS VERY IMPORTANT TO CHANGE YOUR OIL WITHIN 50 MILES OF PUTTING IT IN THE OIL*

just read the directions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i know how to use seafoam. i just wanna know how risky it is doing it through the oil cap as opposed the brake booster line. i know for sure the brake booster line is more risky but i just wanna know any possible negative outcomes seafoam will cause thru the oil cap
Old 07-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol i know how to use seafoam. i just wanna know how risky it is doing it through the oil cap as opposed the brake booster line. i know for sure the brake booster line is more risky but i just wanna know any possible negative outcomes seafoam will cause thru the oil cap</TD></TR></TABLE>
huh? you do realize those are 2 totally seperate things right?

through the brake booster takes it into the combustion chamber

through the oil cap takes it into the oiling system.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">huh? you do realize those are 2 totally seperate things right?

through the brake booster takes it into the combustion chamber

through the oil cap takes it into the oiling system. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol thank you for making my first post more clear. i know the brake booster line takes it into the combustion chamber. i know it will clean up carbon built up. but since my car has 168,800 miles on it with seafoam never ever touching the car, im worried it will break down carbon thats actually sealing holes and cause leaking.

now what im wondering is, is seafoam any safer to use thru the oil cap? since it won't reach the combustion chamber and touch the carbon built up, im wondering what it would do in the crankcase and would it be any safer that way
Old 07-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what holes are gonna cause leaks in your combustion chamber?

carbon dosent seal anything anyway.

you dont get the benifit of seafoam unless you use it in the combustion chamber. it dosent do that much in your oil or gas, it really shines when you use it to clear out the crap in the CC.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what holes are gonna cause leaks in your combustion chamber?

carbon dosent seal anything anyway.

you dont get the benifit of seafoam unless you use it in the combustion chamber. it dosent do that much in your oil or gas, it really shines when you use it to clear out the crap in the CC. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. if there is enough carbon in the combustion chamber, it will act as barriers or a sealant and decrease possible blow-by or leaking. that is why i want to stay away from seafoam as of now
Old 07-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol dude, turst me, crabon dosent stop blowby.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so seafoam wont hurt my motor in any way whatsoever. i find that to be bs. i haven't heard/read many stories but in the past ive heard/read of ppl having many many motor problems after seafoam and very few times of motors blowing up cuz of it
Old 07-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so seafoam wont hurt my motor in any way whatsoever. i find that to be bs. i haven't heard/read many stories but in the past ive heard/read of ppl having many many motor problems after seafoam and very few times of motors blowing up cuz of it</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have heard it has caused problems, but I have heard more pro's then con's...

maybe it's just in the head?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so seafoam wont hurt my motor in any way whatsoever. i find that to be bs. i haven't heard/read many stories but in the past ive heard/read of ppl having many many motor problems after seafoam and very few times of motors blowing up cuz of it</TD></TR></TABLE>
if you dont trust it dont use it!

the majority of people experience no problems if they follow the insturctions. i used it on a 200,000 mile bone stock honda accord and had good results. no more leaks, no extra blowby, just cleaned it out.

if it didnt work or blew up engines, they obviously wouldnt sell it.