Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need advice! Starting complete D16Z6 re-build

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice! Starting complete D16Z6 re-build

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, hope you'll be able to help me. I would also like to apologize for my relatively bad english, i'm from Slovakia

after crashing my first D15 Civic (which was supposed to be the base car for this project), i managed to get a mint D16Z6 engined Hatchback and am now at the stage of ordering all necessary parts. I already got a Blox intake manifold and a DC Sports 4-2-1 header + sport cat but i would like to go from scratch and swap most of the parts under the hood, either for new- or better ones.

I was planning to get around 170hp including chip & fuel pressure adjustment but without killing the engine and these are the parts i wish to use:

- throttle body, Air intake, injectors, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, Cam gear & camshaft, crank pulley, Exedy Stage 1 clutch & Fidanza flywheel, stronger alternator, spark plugs & wires & radiator

On top of that, i am going to upgrade the complete front brake system, get a custom-made exhaust and get the ECU chipped at the end.

My problem is, i want to do as much of this myself as possible and can not afford to have parts that don't go together. What i'm mostly confused about is how to chose the right injectors, throttle body, clutch, ... for this setup. Please, if you have any knowledge in this field, help me choose the right parts and explain the difference in applications, i.e. between smaller or larger injectors & throttle body.

With this setup, do i also need to replace the valvetrain and/or pistons/rods?

Is there anything i should be careful about? any parts i forgot? I have been saving money for almost 3 years so my budget for this project is large enough. What i'm after in the first place is quality, not quantity and any advice is much appreciated.

Also, i am not interested in a B16 nor an H22 swap. I like this engine and want to get as much out of it as possible

Thank you in advance

Modified by DeadPixel at 12:55 PM 1/4/2008
Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless your getting 200+hp from a stock, the stock 240cc injectors are sufficient enough for a 170hp build to the best of my knowledge.

170hp on an all motor D will be difficult. Even with everything you have listed, on a good tune, you could only manage maybe 145. Its difficult to squeeze power out of the D-series block, which is the main reason why most ppl go for boost on it.

Thats not to say its not possible. In june or julys issue of honda tuning magazine, a buildup was done on a d16a6 block, using 2001-2005 civic GX (natural gas) internals. It stroked the block to about 1.7liters, and with a good tune, it made 172hp and 148 trq. I have the pictures of the articel saved (yes it was step by step) so if you want to see them, feel free to PM me.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Your English is terrific, I can't even tell it's not your native language.

170 whp is going to be very tough without a turbo.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless your getting 200+hp from a stock, the stock 240cc injectors are sufficient enough for a 170hp build to the best of my knowledge.

170hp on an all motor D will be difficult. Even with everything you have listed, on a good tune, you could only manage maybe 145. Its difficult to squeeze power out of the D-series block, which is the main reason why most ppl go for boost on it.

Thats not to say its not possible. In june or julys issue of honda tuning magazine, a buildup was done on a d16a6 block, using 2001-2005 civic GX (natural gas) internals. It stroked the block to about 1.7liters, and with a good tune, it made 172hp and 148 trq.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ermmm... rail and injectors.. are usually good for +300hp

I would turbo it and call it a day.... along with saving some money

edit: agreed with your english is about 1000X better then half the members on here

along with don't worry about your braking system

-------

Just Flush and Fill with new fluid, Get New Rotors.. "Stock Honda or Brembo Blanks" Something along that line..

and get some HAWK HPS pads.. "something along that line"

--------------

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1998336 &lt;--- ALot of info

Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 PM

I know that most people chose turbo over conventional tuning but i'm not a big fan of turbo lag and all the problems that can arise from a boosted 1.6l engine. I'm not saying 'no' to turbo, but since it's a hobby, money doesn't matter and i want to do a complete re-build first and if i'm not satisfied then, it shouldn't be a problem to add a turbo since most of the other parts will already be upgraded. If the budget allows it, i WILL upgrade the pistons, rods & rings & valvetrain so the internals should be ready for a turbo. Or not?

Also, if i change the fuel pressure regulator, do i not NEED larger injectors?

If i have an AEM short ram intake and a blox intake manifold, what determines the required throttle body bore size?

Thanks again for all the replies
Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (DeadPixel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadPixel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know that most people chose turbo over conventional tuning but i'm not a big fan of turbo lag and all the problems that can arise from a boosted 1.6l engine. I'm not saying 'no' to turbo, but since it's a hobby, money doesn't matter and i want to do a complete re-build first and if i'm not satisfied then, it shouldn't be a problem to add a turbo since most of the other parts will already be upgraded. If the budget allows it, i WILL upgrade the pistons, rods & rings & valvetrain so the internals should be ready for a turbo. Or not?

Also, if i change the fuel pressure regulator, do i not NEED larger injectors?

If i have an AEM short ram intake and a blox intake manifold, what determines the required throttle body bore size?

Thanks again for all the replies</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would really suggest to you... since you have been saving your money for over "3" years, to not waste your money on this engine... Swap in a B18C, and you are at 170HP...

With 100% reliability..

I don't think you fully understand modifying.. as you are throwing around... the words 170hp - Pistons - Fuel Pressure Regulator - Turbo...

With a not so great engine to start with, IMHO.........

Drive your car the way it is, for now.. and spend a few months on these forums.. reading and researching and you will make the right decision

Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a d16 civic too. still dont know what to do with the motor, only has 87k miles! so it obviously still has potential. not looking foward to boosting it, and i live in california, so all my parts have to be carb legal...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DeadPixel)

If you go with h/c pistons for a all motor and then are not satisfied, you will have a problem with just putting a turbo on. Detonation will be a severe killer with h/c pistons. I am building my z6 as we speak and hope to get it back together tomarrow. Anyways, turbo is really (to me) the best bang for buck, and since you've been saving for 3 years, turbo's the way i would go, and i dont think you would be dissapointed. If you do the rising "vitara" setup, you can easily make 250-300whp(always nice). Of course you'll need a good tune and injectors, but its worth it to me. And the turbo lag you mention, that will be very minimal if you use a fair size turbo, say t3/t4 along with a 3" mandrel exhaust. Thats my $.02.