Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need advice on h22 civic buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on h22 civic buy

Hi am considering buying a Civic hatch with h22 swap and would like some advice. I do not know much about modified Civics and i am not looking to step in a pile of crap, ya know.. i will be investing all the money i have for a car into this and would appreciate any advice that you guys can give me. take a look at the ad:

1994 Civic Hatchback Si Blue
Very low miles on the body, 20k on 220HP JDM H22 motor!

Inside:

Car has GSR seats in mint condition no rips at all
Kenwood CD player
Car is wired for subs
Momo Foot pedels
Viper Alam System

Outside:

100% RUST FREE!!!
GSR disc brakes all around
KYB 4 way adjustable shocks they have race setting and everyday driving.
Skunk2 lower springs
Type R side skirts
Car has been paint ALL SI Blue (motor bay, door jams) PAINT IS MINT!
Window Tint
OEM rear front Bumpers
SI Red&White Tail lights
Fiberglass Cowl hood. With forced intake duct that works.
Steelies for rims nothing special but there light!
Duckbill with LED lights on it

Motor:

Hasport Rear and Front motor mounts
AEM fuel Rail
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
B&M Fuel Pressure Gauge
GSR ECU (car redlines at 8,200RMP!!!)
Duralast Power Newer Battery
Walbro 255 fuel Pump
No A/c or Powersteering
Rear and front strut Bars
Stage 4 clutch not sure what brand
Steal mesh fuel lines
Fluidyne Chorme Radiator
Spectre Turbo Intake
Clisco Fuel Resovore
Greddy Full exhaust

Im sure the car has over 250 horsepower and it an easy 12 1/4 mile car. THIS CAR RUNS VERY VERY GOOD, MOTOR IS MINT! BODY IS MINT TOO!

Needs new axle on passager side, has a gsr one but its two short so it grinds when it drives not loud but need a h22 inner shaft looking at about 30-50 bucks. Also needs a new drivers with was broken into nothing was stolen. Other then that car is great, you may notice airbag not in drivers side because it had in aftermarket steering wheel and the air bag was not put back in when old steering wheel was placed back on.

"Needs new axle on passager side, has a gsr one but its two short so it grinds when it drives not loud but need a h22 inner shaft looking at about 30-50 bucks" - are these expensive repairs to have done at a shop, and are the parts hard to find? would driving the car like this be a bad idea?

the car is sharp looking. it is advertised as the "h22 220 hp" motor which would be the type s, but the picture looks like a h22a motor. is this right? i attached the pictures of the car. lastly what kind of 1/4 miles times would be average on a setup like this given the driver knows the car well. when the ad says "could easily run 12's" would that be an accurate number? is the 250hp claim also accurate?

any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images     
Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: need advice on h22 civic buy

I doubt there is only 20k on the engine.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 AM

I swear that looks just like my old car! almost to the t.

Last edited by DeLsLo95Si; 01-19-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: repost
Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 AM

where are you from?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 250 HP claim is most likely false. The ad looks fine and so does the car. But pictures do no justice. You will need to drive it to find out more problems. I would probably get the correct ECU for it. Hopefully he has the airbag as well. Airbags are not cheap. Axles [brand new ones] can run you as much as $75-90 a side.

When you take it for a test drive, be sure to check for common things:
-A shaky steering wheel or a jumpy brake pedal while braking means you have brake problems.
-Does the car drive straight? Get on the highway and go speedlimit. Take your hands off the steering wheel but close by. mash on the brakes for a second [ensuring no unsuspecting person is behind you] and see if the car pulls left or right. If it does, you have alignment issues.
-Does the steering feel floaty? More alignment issues.
-Check SMALL stuff to to keep you happy. EX/Si cars check the Cruise control, power windows and locks, sun roof, etc.
-Make sure your heater blows hot and your A/C blows cold. Again, small things to keep you happy.
-Ask how regularly it was serviced. When was the last time it had new plugs, wires, oil, etc. Ask the type of oil as well.

That is pretty much all I can think of right now. Maybe some others can chime in on things you should look for =]

Good luck with your first buy!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmatt3465
The 250 HP claim is most likely false. The ad looks fine and so does the car. But pictures do no justice. You will need to drive it to find out more problems. I would probably get the correct ECU for it. Hopefully he has the airbag as well. Airbags are not cheap. Axles [brand new ones] can run you as much as $75-90 a side.

When you take it for a test drive, be sure to check for common things:
-A shaky steering wheel or a jumpy brake pedal while braking means you have brake problems.
-Does the car drive straight? Get on the highway and go speedlimit. Take your hands off the steering wheel but close by. mash on the brakes for a second [ensuring no unsuspecting person is behind you] and see if the car pulls left or right. If it does, you have alignment issues.
-Does the steering feel floaty? More alignment issues.
-Check SMALL stuff to to keep you happy. EX/Si cars check the Cruise control, power windows and locks, sun roof, etc.
-Make sure your heater blows hot and your A/C blows cold. Again, small things to keep you happy.
-Ask how regularly it was serviced. When was the last time it had new plugs, wires, oil, etc. Ask the type of oil as well.

That is pretty much all I can think of right now. Maybe some others can chime in on things you should look for =]

Good luck with your first buy!
Thanks for the help MrMatt.. will it be test driveable with a axle that is to short that grinds? Is this bad for the transmission? thanks..
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM

there are to many great deals on craigslist that would not need as much work as this one looks to need.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by knoxcivic
there are to many great deals on craigslist that would not need as much work as this one looks to need.
sure you can find all kinds of civics for cheap but are they swapped? i have found very few..
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much is this person asking for?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM

5500 is the asking price. How much do you all think it is worth..
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drive it first make sure you like it. Transmission grinds are common with h-series trans. The car is no where near 12's, and is no where near 250hp.

Edit: And its not worth 5500. He'd be lucky to get more than 4000 for it.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Destroyer
Drive it first make sure you like it. Transmission grinds are common with h-series trans. The car is no where near 12's, and is no where near 250hp.

Edit: And its not worth 5500. He'd be lucky to get more than 4000 for it.
It is worth whatever the person buying will pay for it what are comoon 1/4 mile numbers for a hatch h22 with interior still in tact? i know that question annoys people but i am just looking for what someone else may have run. on street tires..
Old 01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A stock jdm h22 dynos at around 176 wheel horsepower with 153 foot pounds of torque. With the bolt on's like the intake and exhaust you might be up another 15 hp. But it most likely doesnt make 250. The stock specs for crank horsepower are 220hp with 203tq. So you wont actually be putting those numbers on the pavement. Another thing to consider is that 100% rust free EG hatches are very hard to find. Fresh paint may have covered it up, but that doesnt mean its gone and wont come back. So when you check it out. Feel inside the fenders to see if there is any rust and see if there was any bondo or body work done to hide the rust. The thing that would concern me the most would be the axle. The owner put on an axle that doesnt fit properly and is obviously damaging the transmission. That might indicate the kind of care he took for the vehicle. Matt's advise is the best. Drive it and look at it. Pay attention to any noises or shakes.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the person paying 5500 for it would be getting the short end of the deal. Common 1/4 mile times for h22 swaps on street tires are high 13's.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

imo 5500 if bumpers r matching at least but thats still high to me. how it is currently 4 -4500 is being realistic since u would have to paint and do axel work off the bat.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by dc2_4life
A stock jdm h22 dynos at around 176 wheel horsepower with 153 foot pounds of torque. With the bolt on's like the intake and exhaust you might be up another 15 hp. But it most likely doesnt make 250. The stock specs for crank horsepower are 220hp with 203tq. So you wont actually be putting those numbers on the pavement. Another thing to consider is that 100% rust free EG hatches are very hard to find. Fresh paint may have covered it up, but that doesnt mean its gone and wont come back. So when you check it out. Feel inside the fenders to see if there is any rust and see if there was any bondo or body work done to hide the rust. The thing that would concern me the most would be the axle. The owner put on an axle that doesnt fit properly and is obviously damaging the transmission. That might indicate the kind of care he took for the vehicle. Matt's advise is the best. Drive it and look at it. Pay attention to any noises or shakes.
Yes i had a feeling the transmission may have been damaged. i could take it for a drive, but the seller has already said that the axle he has on there grinds a little because it doesnt fit.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eppyy
sure you can find all kinds of civics for cheap but are they swapped? i have found very few..

why would you want to buy a civic with a swap? in my opinion, most people do a swap for more power. i mean, you wouldn't swap in an h22 just so you could say you have one, you would do it for racing. that engine is probably beat up pretty good if i had to guess. but then again i may be wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

an h2b eg is not worth 5500 in the form it sits. offer 4500 if he has papers on that swap, no more than 4 without papers. if it is a 220 hp spec h22 then expect around 185 wheel horsepower which is not 12 secondable....
Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Townson
why would you want to buy a civic with a swap? in my opinion, most people do a swap for more power. i mean, you wouldn't swap in an h22 just so you could say you have one, you would do it for racing. that engine is probably beat up pretty good if i had to guess. but then again i may be wrong.
I have considered this because i dont plan on babying the car and dont expect that the previous owner would have. Some engines like redline shifts though...its healthy for them

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
an h2b eg is not worth 5500 in the form it sits. offer 4500 if he has papers on that swap, no more than 4 without papers. if it is a 220 hp spec h22 then expect around 185 wheel horsepower which is not 12 secondable....
Ok thanks for the advice!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Destroyer
Well the person paying 5500 for it would be getting the short end of the deal. Common 1/4 mile times for h22 swaps on street tires are high 13's.
Those numbers sound more accurate..thanks.

Originally Posted by john666
imo 5500 if bumpers r matching at least but thats still high to me. how it is currently 4 -4500 is being realistic since u would have to paint and do axel work off the bat.
Yea the selling price is just high to negotiate i am sure..
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
where does it say it is an h2b? an h2b eg in this shape would be worth about $4500 imo cuz the ****in adapter kit alone is almost, if not over $1000. OP, this car imo is probably worth about $3500 because the paint doesnt match and that swap doesnt look the best. im guessing the guy who did the swap also left some of the mounts off...which equals trouble. if it had good wheels and tires, a good paint job, better swap (if the job was done better...imo only 2 things beat an h22 hatch--h2b and a k20) then yeah it would be worth it. its not our car but we are trying to keep you from buying someone elses problem...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by slo_hatch
where does it say it is an h2b? an h2b eg in this shape would be worth about $4500 imo cuz the ****in adapter kit alone is almost, if not over $1000. OP, this car imo is probably worth about $3500 because the paint doesnt match and that swap doesnt look the best. im guessing the guy who did the swap also left some of the mounts off...which equals trouble. if it had good wheels and tires, a good paint job, better swap (if the job was done better...imo only 2 things beat an h22 hatch--h2b and a k20) then yeah it would be worth it. its not our car but we are trying to keep you from buying someone elses problem...
Originally Posted by Eppyy
1994 Civic Hatchback Si Blue
Very low miles on the body, 20k on 220HP JDM H22 motor!
This would be the h2b right? the h22a is a 205 hp motor.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Yeah, there is no rust on the car at all, and the swap was done right. It runs like 13 all day long when I had it. yeah the half shafts went out sometimes, but I was useing accord halfs in it. Other than that the car is solid. And when I had it I babyed it, I only ran it one day.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man honestly i wouldnt go for it the h22a civic swap is a waste of money in my opinion if all your gettin is high 13s...i get that in my b16a hatch with jus a stage three clutch and a chipped ecu...and u kan find civics with a b16 or b18 for way cheaper then 5500 and his the same track times...and i agree with them check for rust covered up by paint
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DeLsLo95Si
Yeah, there is no rust on the car at all, and the swap was done right. It runs like 13 all day long when I had it. yeah the half shafts went out sometimes, but I was useing accord halfs in it. Other than that the car is solid. And when I had it I babyed it, I only ran it one day.
This is the previous owner that sold it to the current owner. didnt wanna put that out there if he didnt want to say that delslo what do you think of the grinding from the half shaft - tranny damage? is it an h2b?

Quick Reply: need advice on h22 civic buy