Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need advice on bodywork decision to have to all done at one place or not.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on bodywork decision to have to all done at one place or not.

Proposal: What I am wanting to do is get the body work done at the place i got the estimate at and then take the car to a different place to get it painted for $100.

Information:

I am taking my car to a body shop to finish the rust repair job on my 99 civic ex 4dr. I can finish it and know how to finish it, its just the time it would take me, i would rather let a professional do it and get the lifetime warranty on it since im keeping my 1999 civic EX as long as it lasts. Below I will post pictures of what it looks like right now.

Problem: The body shop charges $480(origionally $550 but with all the rust i took off so they wont have to cut it all off they dropped the price becasue it wont take as long to fix). In the estimate the appraiser said that they will cut a little more off to make it all uniform and then weld on metal pieces to take place of the messing part of the fender. The total estimate is $180 for the labor and parts for the body. THe killer is the paint job that they charge. The rest is about a total of $300. just for that small spot.

What should I do? Any opinions would be helpful . The reason y ia m debating this is that it will save money but idk if it would be better to have them do the whole thing or just the body work on it part.

It is down to bare metal with 100% of the rust removed. I have primer on it to protect it from rust while im figuring out what to do.

By the way, it u didnt know, right where the curve of the inside of the fender stops, it dips down inside the fender(part goin towards the door) dips down so its hollow inside right there.

Modified by silentblackhat at 1:17 AM 4/26/2005

Modified by silentblackhat at 1:17 AM 4/26/2005
Old 04-25-2005, 11:52 PM
NASIOC.com

Default Re: Need advice on bodywork decision to have to all done at one place or not. (silentblackhat)

Get it done right, pay the extra money... rust sucks, it will come back if u dont do it right... Pay the extra money!!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Need advice on bodywork decision to have to all done at one place or not. (Otherguy)

Im not too clear on what you are meaning. Either way I go about it, it will seem 'right'. The thing i am debating on is having 2 shop do 2 different things(one do the body work and the other paint it) or have the first one that does the bodywork do everything. Its a difference of about $200. The first bodyshop that would do the work would do it right(even tho theres no rust at all on the car anymore since i took it all off) to repair the pannel. Rust does suck thats y i am watning to fix this early b4 it got too bad. Im calling the shop tomorrow to make sure i can hae them just do the bodywork and not paint it just to keep my options open but if they need to do the paint also then ill have to go that way. just lookin for some opinions. I just wrot this reply because im not too sure what you mean about 'get it done right' since it would get done right either way it seems.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:19 AM
NASIOC.com

Default Re: Need advice on bodywork decision to have to all done at one place or not. (silentblackhat)

Oh... sorry thats what i get for not reading it all and being tired... Well, me personally i would have one shop do all the work... but make sure that you do a background check if possible on the shop that you take it to... sorry if i was unclear... i would spend top dollar... thats my .02
Old 04-26-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Need advice on bodywork decision to have to all done at one place or not. (Otherguy)

I had a Nissan altima hit(the rear fender) and it was a good job....its kind of a dealer shop also so its not like a cheap-o one that they would screw around on.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
The Alchemist...

IMO - depends on what your car is about - do you race your car or just drive it regularly and keep it clean. If you are beating on the car I wouldn’t spend a lot of money fixing something that might get damaged again. In all honesty I would have them fix it and get it painted somewhere else but that’s just me and I am fine with my car having a decent / clean appearance but nothing close to show quality. If you really like the car and plan on keeping it awhile you should get it done right so it lasts.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Need advice on bodywork decision to have to all done at one place or not. (w-a-o)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by w-a-o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you really like the car and plan on keeping it awhile... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats exactly what im doing, the keeping it for a long time. Hopefully till it craps out. It seems dumb but hondas are good quality and i plan on keeping my car for a LONG time so i want to get it all done right. Im leanin toward having someone else paint it but i need to findout what their warranty info says, if it will be void if someone else paints it.

Im not into racing or anything, i just got my car because it seems like its really good quality and will keep it for a while