Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need advice on 96-2000 Civic Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on 96-2000 Civic Coupe

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a used automatic Honda Civic Coupe, sixth generation. The model choices I have available (so I'm told) are the DX, EX, HX and Si. I'm wondering if you guys know which of these models have a VTEC engine as standard? The Si I know does, for sure. And the HX apparently comes with CVT which will get me a few more MPG. But I'm kind of clueless as to what to look for to know the engine specs, short of lifting up the hood (which you can't do on Craigslist).

Any advice you guys might have would be appreciated. I'm new to the whole Honda thing, so try and spell things out for me in plain English!

Thanks!

Moisty
Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need advice on 96-2000 Civic Coupe (moisty)

Well if you only want an automatic, you shouldnt get the si, it only comes in manual. The reason being that the Si is the premier civic model, and is directed at sport car enthusiasts... therefore limiting it to manual transmission.

As for dx hx lx etc... All i know is that the models abbreviations stand for how accessory equipped the civic comes with. They should all run off the same engine, save perhaps the hx.

Im pretty sure the dx is the base model, with no a/c and other such options, and the lx is the top model below si.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want an automatic 6th gen Civic coupe with VTEC, you want a Civic EX coupe.

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic CX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ6
YEARS: 1996-2000
BODY: Hatch
TRANSMISSION: 4AT / 5MT
ENGINE: D16Y7
TYPE: 1.6L I4 SOHC non-VTEC
HP: 106 hp @ 6200 rpm
TQ: 103 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic DX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ6
BODY: Coupe / Hatch / Sedan

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic EX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ8
BODY: Coupe / Sedan
ENGINE: D16Y8
TYPE: 1.6L I4 SOHC VTEC
HP: 127 hp @ 6600 rpm
TQ: 107 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic GX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EN1
YEARS: 1998-2000
BODY: Sedan
TRANSMISSION: 4AT
ENGINE: D16B5
TYPE: 1.6L I4 SOHC VTEC CNG (Compressed Natural Gas)
HP: ?
TQ: ?

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic HX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ7
BODY: Coupe
TRANSMISSION: CVT / 5MT
ENGINE: D16Y5
TYPE: 1.6L I4 SOHC VTEC-E
HP: 115 hp @ 6200 rpm
TQ: 104 lb-ft @5400 rpm

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic LX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ6

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic Si</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EM1
YEARS: 1999-2000
TRANSMISSION: 5MT
ENGINE: B16A2
TYPE: 1.6L I4 DOHC VTEC
HP: 160 hp @ 7600 rpm
TQ: 111 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need advice on 96-2000 Civic Coupe (NOFX)

If you're looking for milage you want to get a 5spd.

If you're looking at any kind of fun/performance you need a 5spd in these cars.

If you're looking for a decent daily that gets decent milage, got for the Ex.

The rest won't have much for options.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:28 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moisty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And the HX apparently comes with CVT which will get me a few more MPG.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do not, under any circumstances, buy a CVT HX. The early CVTs were problematic, and are also extremely rare to find and expensive to replace. We happen to have a '97 HX with a blown CVT in our junkyard right now - it cost more to replace the transmission than the car was worth, so we bought it from the owner for parts.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need advice on 96-2000 Civic Coupe (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Do not, under any circumstances, buy a CVT HX. The early CVTs were problematic, and are also extremely rare to find and expensive to replace. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x 9,000.

CVT FTL. It was a good idea, but it didn't end up working very well.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks guys, that's some great advice, especially the breakdown of gen 6 models, that really helps.

Have found an EX on Craigslist that I think might be a good deal. There are no exceptions to the rule on EX's having a VTEC engine though, right? Wish I could find and/or afford an Si. The DOHC really speeds the car up, but it'd be a real gas guzzler.

What do you think I'll get per gallon on the EX. Some people have said I'll get at least 35 on the freeway? What's the top end from your experience?

Thanks,

Moisty
Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moisty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys, that's some great advice, especially the breakdown of gen 6 models, that really helps.

Have found an EX on Craigslist that I think might be a good deal. There are no exceptions to the rule on EX's having a VTEC engine though, right? Wish I could find and/or afford an Si. The DOHC really speeds the car up, but it'd be a real gas guzzler.

What do you think I'll get per gallon on the EX. Some people have said I'll get at least 35 on the freeway? What's the top end from your experience?

Thanks,

Moisty</TD></TR></TABLE>
All '96-'00 EXes have the SOHC VTEC D16Y8.

I drive a '98 EX (with a bad transmission at this point) and I can get 35mph or maybe a bit more... though I'm usually flooring it and get worse than that.

The good thing about the EX, especially the '99-'00 coupes, is that since you want an Si, you can still get the "Si looks". You can add on a front and rear lip and painted sideskirts. You'll already have painted body trim (molding, mirrors and plate garnish). The car can easily accept a variety of stronger engines. This means in the future, if you choose to swap up, you can get a swap that you might end up happier with than the Si's B16A2.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 PM

I hear a lot about transmissions with the Civic, although I guess when any car gets past 100k, then it becomes an issue.

I've set up an appointment on Saturday to view the car i mentioned. It's a 97 EX Coupe, with 119k on the clock and a clean title. Without me telling you what she's asking for it, what would you think would be a fair price, because if I can bring the lady down a few hundred, hoping that she knows ****-all about cars, that'd be great for me and my wallet.

Also, are there any questions that I should ask her about the car's history that might be useful? One of my friends has told me that it's important that if you want Honda's to run as long as possible, they need regular oil changes, so to make sure it's been well maintained. And that the typical rust spots are in the rear arches, so to check for that. Any other good advice from you Civic experts?

Thanks for all your help on this, I hope I'll end up with some really nice wheels by next week!

Moisty
Old 06-14-2007, 06:37 PM
H-T White Ops

Mine's been going out since late September of 2004. Also, my problem is the ISB on my manual transmission. I have heard of some issues with 7th gen D-series auto transmissions.

Check the windows. Search in this section and you'll see it's a common issue for '96-'00 (6G) Civics to develop issues with the windows rolling up and down slowly and possibly ending up popping off the track, which will require replacement of some parts in the door.

Also, if you remove the stock radio, you will no longer have a working dome light or remote locks. The way to keep them is wiring or to hide the stock radio behind the dash.

The value really depends on the location and how clean the car is. Here Civics sell a lot cheaper than they do in DE for example.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Ok, thanks. I have a couple of things to ask her at least now, aside from the usual stuff.

If I decide to change the stock sound system further down the line, i'll bear the dome light and remote locking in mind. Any idea what the sound quality of the stock head unit is like? Are there speakers in the back? Tweeters up front? Or am I gonna have to do some serious work to the sounds? I really would just rather throw in a 6CD changer if it doesn't sound too bad as stock.

I'm also hoping that this lady hasn't opened the car up in it's first 119,000 miles. Because if it's got that much on the clock, and it hasn't even been driven yet, then I'm gonna have some fun with it!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:02 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moisty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, thanks. I have a couple of things to ask her at least now, aside from the usual stuff.

If I decide to change the stock sound system further down the line, i'll bear the dome light and remote locking in mind. Any idea what the sound quality of the stock head unit is like? Are there speakers in the back? Tweeters up front? Or am I gonna have to do some serious work to the sounds? I really would just rather throw in a 6CD changer if it doesn't sound too bad as stock.

I'm also hoping that this lady hasn't opened the car up in it's first 119,000 miles. Because if it's got that much on the clock, and it hasn't even been driven yet, then I'm gonna have some fun with it! </TD></TR></TABLE>
The EX coupe at least comes with stock tweeters up front, on the inside of where the mirrors mount. There's actually an available CD changer that mounts in the trunk if you can find one used.

I personally don't think the stock speakers sound that bad. I've heard a few complaints, but have gotten a lot of compliments on mine. I had friends (who had never owned Hondas) ask me several times if I were sure it were stock. It was.

Oh, and the '98+ EX coupes have a maplight up front too. The '96 and '97 EXes have just the domelight (which the '98+ ones also have).
Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by moisty
My stock (99% OEM) EJ8 gets around 30mpg with these factors:

NON-STOCK MODS:
Drop-in K&N Air Filter -- recharged every ~3500mi.
K&N Oil Filter -- replaced every ~3500mi
NGK Iridium Plugs -- currently ~15000mi old

AERO:
No wings, no visors -- Stock body.
I smoke while driving ( ), so my window's down on the Fway -- Bad for many reasons, but I'd get some mpg back if I could wait the short drive home. Stupid addiction...

WEIGHT:
I'm about 170 on a rainy day without an umbrella, and seldom carry passengers.
I fill my tank to the top, and drive until I get a Low Fuel indication. I usually fill up again by the next day -- I can get a little mpg back by not filling to the top, making my average vehicle's daily weight a bit lower.
I drive with an OEM Spare Tire/Scissor Jack, Jumper Cables, 1 Roll Duct Tape, 1Gal H20, and an Outdated Thomas Guide. About 1 more lb for glovebox/center console crap & coins.

DAILY HABITS:
My daily commute is during off hours, and about 3/5 of my commute is spent at around 3000-4000 RPM, 5th. Once a week I drive through heavy traffic, where it takes me about 75 minutes to drive 12 miles. (WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! ) It gives me a great opportunity to perform my weekly "Do I Have ABS??" Test at this time

TIRES:
I run my tires over spec. 32 PSI all around on my 195/60/14s, checked monthly --my tires are .4" smaller in Overall Tread Diameter than stock (already factored in)

DISTANCE DRIVING:
On road trips I get +35mpg -- I'm usually running at 3500 in 5th (~80 mph). I don't use Cruise Control, I don't use A/C, my Power Steering is stock... and I still smoke

Originally Posted by moisty
Any idea what the sound quality of the stock head unit is like? Are there speakers in the back? Tweeters up front?
I've been running the stock setup since I got the car. 2 tweeters near the Side Mirror Housing, 2 Front Door Speakers, and 2 Rear Speakers. ***My ears (while driving) are not very demanding***. My stereo's held up fine for me, with the occasional helpful jiggle to get my CDs to come out. I keep my CDs in the front with me, so I guess I'm my own 24 CD Changer.
I am satisfied with the SQ for my vehicle, but again, I prefer either a great set of Headphones for when I really want to listen to music, or a nice set of bins when I want to feel it. I've never really looked at my car as something to boogie in, but I understand how important it can be to hear good quality music while drving. It all depends on what you want your car to do for you.

In any case, check the Audio/Video/Security Forum when you're ready!
https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/27

Hope it gives you an idea! Welcome to the Honda Family!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Need advice on 96-2000 Civic Coupe

Ok, so I drove at a Civic EX Coupe tonight, and was surprised to find that it didn't have a VTEC engine. I was under the impression that all of these models had a VTEC? I checked the book and it is definitely liste as an EX, even has the badge on the back.

Any ideas guys?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moisty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so I drove at a Civic EX Coupe tonight, and was surprised to find that it didn't have a VTEC engine. I was under the impression that all of these models had a VTEC? I checked the book and it is definitely liste as an EX, even has the badge on the back.

Any ideas guys?</TD></TR></TABLE>
What makes you think it didn't have VTEC? D16Y8 engines don't say VTEC across the valve cover. Also, the VTEC from a D16Y8 won't feel like anything really.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the EX comes with a single-cam VTEC motor but u could prolly pull more MPG with an LX
Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

VTEC isn't this amazing thing that kicks like turbo..especially in a d16. for all intents and purposes..you're not gonna get massive hp and great gas mileage in the same car. i used to have a turbo b20 in my 99 EX but sold it for a stock d16 because gas is just too expensive. i went from 22MPG on 93 octane to 30+ on 87 octane. much better on my wallet. my best MPG on a 75% hwy miles tank was 39.8

as far as sound..you can buy a line out converter on ebay and hook up a sub. i chose to keep the stock audio b/c theft for aftermarket headunits in this area is really bad. i only had an 8" sub from walmart lying around and honestly it's more than enough to get me by. just tweak the EQ a lil and you'll be set
Old 06-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Depends on what rpm's you brought it up to. Yah it's not all that great you can hear it kick in though which is really the only way to tell.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:39 AM

I got the rpm right up on the freeway and there was a little bit of extra pull, but nothing out of the ordinary. I guess that's what you get for driving an automatic, right? I'm not expecting 300hp obviously, but something didn't seem right. Maybe this guy had pushed the car within an inch of it's life or something?

I guess I might be wrong, but I figured the VTEC would be something they would market quite prominently (ie stamped across the engine cover)? Ah well, seeing another one later today, which is advertised as a VTEC, so we'll see if I can notice anything different when I push it on the freeway.

Thanks again for the advice guys
Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 AM

I've been using CARFAX to get some more info on the car I saw last night, and the engine specification of it is as follows:

1.6L L4 PFI 16V

Now obviously, it's a 1.6L engine like all Gen 6 Civics, and it's a 16V car, but can anybody explain the terms 'L4' and 'PFI' to me as I am unsure as to what they mean.

I also checked the VIN on the car I am seeing later today, and it has the very same engine specs. And the guy selling is advertising it as a VTEC. Which leads me to believe that unless they have dropped a DX engine into this car, then NOFX was indeed right and I need a giant slice of humble pie...

Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

l4= in line four cylinder
pfi=programmed fuel injection
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 PM

All ex civics have d16y8's in them all d16y8's have vtec! like its been said vtec in a d16 isnt magic and you wont even feel it... Also there is no tells that the engine is a vtec on the 96-00 unlike the 92-95 that have vtec stamped on the valve cover.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 PM
H-T White Ops

To check to see if the engine is the type that shoudl be in it stock:

Pop the hood. Look on the front passenger side of the engine. Along that front wall of the engine you will see a small flat square panel that angles up towards you. There will be a code stamped on this plate. If it's the stock EX motor it will read D16Y8.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want an automatic 6th gen Civic coupe with VTEC, you want a Civic EX coupe.

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic CX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ6
BODY: Hatch

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic DX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ6
BODY: Coupe / Hatch / Sedan

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic EX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ8
BODY: Coupe / Sedan
ENGINE: D16Y8
TYPE: 1.6L I4 SOHC VTEC
HP: 127 hp @ 6600 rpm
TQ: 107 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic GX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EN1
YEARS: 1998-2000
TRANSMISSION: 4AT
ENGINE: D16B5
TYPE: 1.6L I4 SOHC VTEC CNG (Compressed Natural Gas)
HP: ?
TQ: ?

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic HX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ7
TRANSMISSION: CVT / 5MT
ENGINE: D16Y5
TYPE: 1.6L I4 SOHC VTEC-E
HP: 115 hp @ 6200 rpm
TQ: 104 lb-ft @5400 rpm

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic LX</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EJ6

<FONT SIZE="3">Civic Si</FONT>
CHASSIS:
EM1
YEARS: 1999-2000
TRANSMISSION: 5MT
ENGINE: B16A2
TYPE: 1.6L I4 DOHC VTEC
HP: 160 hp @ 7600 rpm
TQ: 111 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-19-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To check to see if the engine is the type that shoudl be in it stock:

Pop the hood. Look on the front passenger side of the engine. Along that front wall of the engine you will see a small flat square panel that angles up towards you. There will be a code stamped on this plate. If it's the stock EX motor it will read D16Y8. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, that worked great. I'm gonna go back and recheck the car I saw last night, to see if it has the same engine. The guy this afternoon was really pushy, I don't think I'll buy from him on principle. It doesn't look as nice in the metallic green anyway, and the brakes were a little rough.

A couple more questions for you guys. The only downside to the car I saw last night is that the registration is up. Any ideas how much it would be for a year's registration in California on a Civic EX? (114k and registered in 98) Also, do you guys know of any scrap dealers in San Diego that might sell me a replacement rear-left brake light? I don't want to pay dealer rates if I do go with this first car. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Need advice on 96-2000 Civic Coupe