Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ne1 know how to diable the SRS light. Without unpluggin/harness/bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ne1 know how to diable the SRS light. Without unpluggin/harness/bulb?

Well the pass few days i have been trying, to compile alot of information about the SRS system. I have the SRS light showing up because, I have unplugged the passenger side bag. I do not want to just take out the bulb, or unplug the harness. That's really not solving the issue. So I took out the multimeter, and got a reading across the old air bag, which is not deployed. Came out to be about or around 2.3k ohms. Now i have been reading all kinds of post about saying you can add a resistor of the following values. 2k ohms, and/or 2.2kohms. Well i've tried and still nothing, the SRS light is still gawking at me... Sucks... So does any one know what to do...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ne1 know how to diable the SRS light. Without unpluggin/harness/bulb? (dem0nk1d)

have you tried plugging the red short connector into the plug?i *think* this may prevent it from throwing the code.
also,did you reset the memory when you tried the resistor trick?
Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ne1 know how to diable the SRS light. Without unpluggin/harness/bulb? (TeamNextGenChris)

yes i have been restting the computer every time. also i don't have the little red plug. i threw it out with my old dash, i thought it was just a plug cap... DOH!!! LAME
Old 09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ne1 know how to diable the SRS light. Without unpluggin/harness/bulb? (dem0nk1d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes i have been restting the computer every time. also i don't have the little red plug. i threw it out with my old dash, i thought it was just a plug cap... DOH!!! LAME</TD></TR></TABLE>
not sure,but the one from the driver side may work.it wouldn't be hard to pop off the access panel to try it.
Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have been using the reset technique on your SRS computer, it will reset the light provided you are doing it right and you have the right value resistor in there. Remember: Put piece of speaker wire in the SRS diagnostic port, short the wires, turn key on. When SRS light goes of, unhook the wires, when the SRS light comes back on, short the wires. SRS light should flash twice. Turn off key and replace the little cap. Turn key back on and SRS light should come on for about 7 seconds or so then go out. Try that again if you have the right resistor in there.

Ryan
Old 09-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone has given different resistor values... so i don't know if it's correct or not. bunch of bullshit. once i figure this out i will try to do a how to. Then make it a sticky so know one else has this issue.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dem0nk1d)

My friend had the same problem and Honda said that they would charge him $ 110 to make it go off for him.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YodajdmEK4)

also i need the list off SRS Troubleshooting codes... Can't seem to find it in the Helms, or Service manual.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (YodajdmEK4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YodajdmEK4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend had the same problem and Honda said that they would charge him $ 110 to make it go off for him.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Suppose that's not a bad price to pay if ur backed into a wall (Ie. need an inspection)
Old 09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also i need the list off SRS Troubleshooting codes... Can't seem to find it in the Helms, or Service manual.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i don't have any manuals here with me,but i know the Helm has a whole section for the SRS system,including codes.
Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

Now you know that the airbag system will not work if that light is on right? Even if you just disable the light, the system will still be inoperable.

Just a thought.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.Red.EM2)

this is why i want to fix it right. everyone else just unplugs the bulb... LAME
Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

w00t w00t 1337 sk1LLs....

Just kidding with the leet speak. I figured out the issue with the resistor prob. I was using a 2.2k ohm and also tried a 2k ohm resistor in place of the airbag. Nothing, nothing at all i was still having the SRS Light come on even after resting the srs memory... Well speak no more... I figured the b!tch out. I was using 2k and 2.2k resistors... I was suppose to use a 2 ohm or 2.2 ohm resistor... There is a different, no "k". So i will be doing a write up asap... Thanks for the help... Now everyone rocking the unplug bulbs like idiots, can fix the issue correctly.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now everyone rocking the unplug bulbs like idiots, can fix the issue correctly.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
couldn't you argue that anybody not rocking airbags(ragardless of how they made the SRS light go out) is an idiot?
just kidding-glad you got it figured out.
Chris
Old 09-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

passanger can die as far as i am concered.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 PM

make it DIY
where did u get ur resistor from?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (dougscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">passanger can die as far as i am concered.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What .Red. EM2 said about even if you disable the light for the passenger the driverside air bag won't work either. The system thinks the airbags are unplugged no matter what. You might as well just buy an aftermarket steering wheel and pull the bulb.

SOHC4Life, who still doesn't understand why someone finds it nescessary to remove the passenger bag.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not true the resistor shares the same exact, resistor value as the air bag. so as far, as the SRS computer knows. Is that the air bag is plugged in. So if you did get in a accident your driver side would still work. This is a fix for the open circut in the system. This is not pull the bulb out because, there is a short in the system. So this is a dead fix. And also you can pick up the resistors online. You want to look at something like 2ohm 5watt or above resistor. I will post a how to in a few days...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These are my local eletronic pick up for parts. They had it with out prob. They also do internet sells...

"2 ohm 5 watt resistor" make sure it's just a stright 2 ohm, not a 2k or 2.2k ohm. k=1000.

http://www.gatewayelex.com/
Old 09-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not true the resistor shares the same exact, resistor value as the air bag. so as far, as the SRS computer knows. Is that the air bag is plugged in. So if you did get in a accident your driver side would still work. This is a fix for the open circut in the system. This is not pull the bulb out because, there is a short in the system. So this is a dead fix. And also you can pick up the resistors online. You want to look at something like 2ohm 5watt or above resistor. I will post a how to in a few days...</TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly.if the ECU knew the passenger side bag was not there,it would trigger the light.
the system will work fine for the driver bag.
Chris
Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 PM

waiting for DIY
i wanna do this soon
Old 09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dougscivic)

Dougster. Just go out and get/buy a plain 2ohm 5watt resistor. Maybe ratshack will cary it but i don't think so..

First take the plug from the air bag, cut it off. Strip the wires and solder the resistor from one wire to the other. Use some heat shrink tube over the exposed areas. Plug it in and your done. You might need to rest the srs system.

Jump the yellow plug that hooked to your fues box, it's plugged into a dummy connector . And take about three feet of wire so you can use it as a jumper wire.

Close the jumper wire turn the car onto ign (II), SRS light will go off, open the circut. SRS light will come on hold the wires again till the light goes off. It should flash 2 times. Turn the ign all the way off. Wait for 10 seconds. Then tuirn your car on... The light should now be off.

http://www.leedselect.com/parts-resistors.html sells the part for .50cent nugga.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dem0nk1d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">passenger can die as far as i am concerned.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll hate life when it's your gf/mom/sister/bro/dad in that seat. Not to mention that most of your passengers are not complete strangers.

You'll always look back and think, "He/she could be here today if it weren't for me and my inconsiderateness"
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

it's just a fix, not a fix for life.