Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Nascar type restrictor plate on civic???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nascar type restrictor plate on civic???

I find my VX motor in my EK running lean. I wanna talk Nascar style restrictor plate . . . I want to lessen the air into my VX motor. im running P2P ecu with 180cc injectors . . .its running hot and lean, the ek SI 220 cc injectors don't fit into the obd1 intake I have. the obd1 injectors fit but the wires plugs from my 99Si harness don't plug on. The only injectors that fit are the 96-2000 DX/CX 180cc . . . I cant locate a smaller TB.

So my idea is Nascar type restrictor plate. whats the MM (size) of a true VX intake?. If I lessen the air that it can consume then it may richen up theoreticaly.

I have a d15b7 intake.

any one else have some idea to help me richen this up other than drilling the injector holes. I want to be able to switch between the 180 and 220cc injectors with relative ease.

when Im alone in the car its plenty fast and super efficient. When I load it with 400lbs of kids and wife and another couple hundy lbs of camping gear it gets way too slow.

any ideas?

my thought was quick splice the different injector ends on . .. switch between the two depending upon my driving needs. . . if so.... what 220cc injectors will go into my d15b7 intake.

any help is appreciated.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nascar type restrictor plate on civic???

I hate to tell you, but the VX head is a different kind of monster. It's VTEC-E, and designed for economy, not power. What you've done is taken a VTEC ecu and mated it with the VTEC-E system and it doesn't know what to do. The VX (in the US market at least) has a 5-wire wideband o2 sensor that gives different info to the ECU than the P2P is looking for.

NASCAR used restrictor plates on their carb engines. They don't use carbs anymore and the restrictor plates have been replaced with electronically limited power. Since your car is fuel injected the air/fuel ratio is controlled electronically and the o2 sensor is what monitors it. Since I have already described how your ECU is incompatible with the o2 sensor on your VX motor, this could be the issue.

If you are looking for more power, swap the motor. Trying to modify a VX motor is like trying to chop a tree down with a butter knife. The best thing you could do is get rid of the VTEC-E head and swap a Y8 or Z6 head. That way you have a head with VTEC made for power, not economy.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

never heard a vx called "plenty fast" sweeeeet
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Please refer to my build thread.. Im not shooting for performance. .. hence why I put a Vtec E into my car. Please just read the questions I asked. or if you need more backround information on my setup please ask. I have the d167y Exhaust manifold with the dual o2 sensors. I have no check engine light, no codes from the P2P.. it is running the engine and knows exactly what its doing. hence my 5.1-5.8 litres per 100k fuel consumption. its running it great....

I am using 180cc injectors. . . I know the ecu assumes its running 220cc injectors and is spraying the 180's as such. I enjoy the fuel efficiency I get now, but when I load the car up with wife and 3 kids it gets very slow. Weight being my enemy....

I just want to know what, if any, injectors that's are 220 cc will mount into my d15b7 intake. I can quick splice some extra injector plugs on that work. its really simple, but my days of research have been fruitless.

and

Will some sort of restrictor plate work . . common sense says the o2 sensors and the ecu can sort it out..... either it runs it lean with less power or it runs better spraying same fuel with less air . . any one with experience. im kinda thinking its like putting a y7 intake on a y8 engine . . . .
Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by instrument
never heard a vx called "plenty fast" sweeeeet
Its mated to an SI transmission and Im not a speed demon anymore. I have 300 days to save for a swap till I need an e test. . . my engine blew I had this lying around. . . I was broke. it had to work.

How about I say its plenty acceptable driving alone with a near empty tank, no tools in the trunk, or spare tire, whilst driving downhill . . cuz your right fast and vx don't belong together.. this thing is so slow above 4500 rpm I don't even go there . . I have to upshift to get any power the lower the rpm the more power I have LMAO
Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not sure what's not interchangeable on the injectors, other than the plugs obd0,1,2 will interchange.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the 1st post: yes you can use your obd1 injectors on the obd2 harness. Just take needle nose plyers and pull out the blue tabs inside the injector clips. If later on you wanna put them back you can.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jesus christ

I think you should wad up a towel and shove it in your air intake. That will restrict it.

Now get off the internet and go get a better car to haul your family in.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

LMAO. I also have a 07 V6 Vtec Honda Pilot. . . . that's what hauls the kids and camping gear usually. Unfortunately that thing burns 21 litres of fuel to go 100kms in town . . where as my civic burns 5-6.

consider a 500km trip to go camping. . . 105 litres of fuel @ 1.35 a litre $141.75
my civic is 25-30 litres for the same trip. . . 40$

Im always down to save 100 bucks . . . . considering we have gone to the cottage in my civic 11 times already this summer, that's 1100 dollars still in my pocket.

now whose laughing . . .
Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Marvin1985
From the 1st post: yes you can use your obd1 injectors on the obd2 harness. Just take needle nose plyers and pull out the blue tabs inside the injector clips. If later on you wanna put them back you can.
Thanks that's what I was looking for.

also this morning I had a better look ad the 99Si injectors . . . there is a little plastic cap on the end that was stopping the injector from fitting. I just removed the plastic cap and now they fit.

There installed and the car has loads more power. So now I can switch back to the smaller ones for daily driving. . .and use these for times I have a fuller car.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 06:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

maybe I should be on eccomodder, or gassavers. . . .
Old 08-17-2013, 06:15 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Injectors are not designed to be constantly swapped,obviously you know it all from reading your responses, someone tried to explain the issue, and you argue, the issue is you are overloading an economy car,use the bigger car for hauling that much weight dumbass
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Im well within the specifications of max load . . . 400lbs of passengers, 200 lbs in the trunk. that guy went off assuming I put the vx in there for mad wheel spinning power, telling me about my vtec E motor like I have no ******* clue what it is or how it works. . . .

I don't see any arguing here. I see me trying to ask a question and get an answer. this information isn't available through any amount of research I have done. Im asking for other peoples experience and common sense. you know like yes just pull the blue tabs out. . .

our Honda's weren't designed for 95% of the stuff we all do here. . . . so why are we all doing it (rhetorical question)
Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 AM
longest project ever

This thread is going to end up in the epic thread fail thread
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by doublezerohatch
I want to be able to switch between the 180 and 220cc injectors with relative ease.
This has GOT to be one of the most ill-thought out ideas I've seen someone come up with.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe I should be on eccomodder, or gassavers. . . .
actually you should, 99% of HT is not into ecomodding (in fact the opposite with all the turbos and built engine threads).
and honestly you probably should just add aero mods:

http://www.aerocivic.com/
Old 08-17-2013, 03:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This is a forum for technical modifications . . . wether your upgrading or downgrading for efficiency. I would think you would want to attract as much attention as possible to this site for Honda owners . . . . 40% of Honda owners surveyed wish there civic got better mileage . . . that's 40% of the civic ownership your missing out on and turning away. . . .

I like the Aero civic . . I drove in a RHD Yugo .9 litre engine the other day . . .I don't like how people stare . . . i have road rage.. something you don't want a unique car for.

@Mr Grumpy marc - Thanks for saying my idea is the Illest . . .it is pretty cool to take 3 minuites to swap to smaller or larger injectors depending upon the power you need for the drive . . . it really is the Illest !!!!! i feel proud. im the first guy grumpy marc has complimented. Your the best buddy !!!!!

@lostforever if I knew everything I would be running this place not posting questions. OBVIOUSLY I don't know everything or i wouldn't be here asking... for the sake of it i do have a lot of knowledge. I am the author of a couple tutrorials and was regarded pretty highly amongst the 50 000 Toronto civic members . . . i wrote the tutorial (from experience) on DPFI-MPFI and Auto to manual swaps . . .

Go check it out . . . white92d15b7 was my screen name . . . torontocivics.com

Fu

Last edited by Former User; 08-17-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: off topic remark deleted
Old 08-17-2013, 03:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i have a far better vehicle than a civic . . . im only out to save some money on my daily commuter . .
Attached Images     
Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM
The Grumpiest

@Mr Grumpy marc - Thanks for saying my idea is the Illest . . .it is pretty cool to take 3 minuites to swap to smaller or larger injectors depending upon the power you need for the drive . . . it really is the Illest !!!!! i feel proud. im the first guy grumpy marc has complimented. Your the best buddy !!!!!
Sarcasm? Not a compliment. I meant ill as in stupid.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

@ grumblemarc . . . use your English better than . . you got a turbo . . . you don't know anything about fuel efficiency . . . if you had a stock civic you would want to play with mileage too . ..
Old 08-17-2013, 03:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Marc. its nice to see you posting back in my threads . . i know last time we spoke via forum posts we really had it out. haven't seen you in a while. i felt kinda left out. . ..
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 PM
The Grumpiest

@ grumblemarc . . . use your English better than . . you got a turbo . . . you don't know anything about fuel efficiency . . . if you had a stock civic you would want to play with mileage too . ..
My English is perfectly fine. Look up the meaning of the word ill and stop using slang. I know plenty about fuel efficiency. If I wanted more mileage I'd buy a Prius. Swapping fuel injectors because your car is overloaded with people and baggage is stupid.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

no fella. . . .my car runs lean due to my experimental setup . . . it runs lean . . but it runs well with no engine codes . . . I have driven the whole day with the family loaded down and it runs good. .. no downshifting on hills . . . the only time the family is in it is on the weekend . .. whats wrong with running it lean and hot and way more efficient during the week when its only me commuting . .. I can deal with the slowness . . . weight kills any Honda . .. wetyher u have 100 or 200 or 300 hp . . correct . .
Old 08-17-2013, 04:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

when it comes to my engine . . there is a huge running difference between the 180cc and 220cc injectors . . .

anyone else with a smaller or larger set of injectors try them out . . . you will see the difference too.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:43 PM
longest project ever

when you lean out your engine to the point it melts something...............

Quick Reply: Nascar type restrictor plate on civic???