Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Name this part?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name this part?

its for a 1992 hatchback D15B8 SOHC. whats the metal tube that connects the radiator hose to the block? i need either a gasket or a new one because the coolant leaks from here. this metal tube is inder the throttle body? please tell me the name of it so i can look for it. thank you
Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Name this part?

Its not a rubber tube?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the thermostat housing.....
Old 01-28-2010, 06:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

water pipe
Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're referring to the Water neck on the thermostat housing.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like thermostat housing but a picture would really help
Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

like i said before water pipe it connects the thermostat hosing to the water pump
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its one the back of the block right.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you look it up on a site like Majestic Honda?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tempban
like i said before water pipe it connects the thermostat hosing to the water pump
Water pipe doesn't have a gasket Nor does it connect to radiator hose.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tempban
This guy was right the first time.

Originally Posted by ca-rs
Water pipe doesn't have a gasket Nor does it connect to radiator hose.
FAIL. The water pipe runs along the back of the block underneath the intake manifold. It has an o-ring on each end, one end in the water pump, the other end in the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing then connects to the lower radiator hose, SO, if he's got water leaking in that area, he either needs new o-rings on the pipe, or a new gasket on the t-stat housing/t-stat itself. Unless he's talking about the upper hose, which connects to the water neck at the right front of the engine near the dizzy. That should just have a gasket under it. If not, just seal it with some Form-A-Gasket, just don't use too much, a thin layer is all you need.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16aej6
This guy was right the first time.

FAIL. The water pipe runs along the back of the block underneath the intake manifold. It has an o-ring on each end, one end in the water pump, the other end in the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing then connects to the lower radiator hose, SO, if he's got water leaking in that area, he either needs new o-rings on the pipe, or a new gasket on the t-stat housing/t-stat itself. Unless he's talking about the upper hose, which connects to the water neck at the right front of the engine near the dizzy. That should just have a gasket under it. If not, just seal it with some Form-A-Gasket, just don't use too much, a thin layer is all you need.
Fail? lol, an O-ring is Not a gasket and the water pipe does not connect directly to the water pipe. The waterneck on the T-stat housing however does connect directly to the upper rad hose and has a gasket so based on the info given I'd say my answer makes more sense however also based on the info given you could be right as well. Hardly a "Fail"

Here is a fail:
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fail? lol, an O-ring is Not a gasket and the water pipe does not connect directly to the water pipe. The waterneck on the T-stat housing however does connect directly to the upper rad hose and has a gasket so based on the info given I'd say my answer makes more sense however also based on the info given you could be right as well. Hardly a "Fail"
I'll give you that an o-ring is not literally a "gasket", but in this case it performs the same function. Also, the only physical link between the lower hose/t-stat housing and the block IS the water pipe, so technically I'm still right. See image below. He specifically states: "whats the metal tube that connects the radiator hose to the block? i need either a gasket or a new one because the coolant leaks from here. this metal tube is under the throttle body?" Since the t-stat housing is not a tube (except the water neck itself), nor is it under the throttle body, and neither radiator hose is under the throttle body, he MUST be referring to the water pipe. The only gasket in the thermostat housing is the gasket around the thermostat itself. The water neck does not have a gasket. If that's where it's leaking then the solution is a new radiator hose, no gaskets involved.

Again, FAIL. And don't post anymore pics of your girlfriend. Nobody wants to see that.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill put up pics later on today but yea its in the back of the block it comes from i think the thermostat where more hoses branch off and it goes into the block it looks like on the right side if ur facing the engine... it leaks antifreeeze...???
Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by serg92hatch
ill put up pics later on today but yea its in the back of the block it comes from i think the thermostat where more hoses branch off and it goes into the block it looks like on the right side if ur facing the engine... it leaks antifreeeze...???
That's the thermostat housing you're talking about. The smaller hoses are your heater hoses. If it's leaking out of the "middle" out that housing, its probably your thermostat gasket, #4 in the picture above. If it's more towards the back of that housing, then its probably the o-rings on your water pipe, #12 in the picture. How do the hoses feel? They should feel firm, not mushy/crunchy. If they're soft, they should probably be replaced. For what it's worth, these parts are so cheap that it would be in your best interest to just replace both the o-rings and the t-stat gasket, along with the radiator/heater hoses if they need it. You've gotta drain the coolant to change any of them anyway, so why not change it all while you've got it apart? Your local Honda dealer should have them, shouldn't cost more than $40-$50 to buy all of it, plus a couple jugs of premix coolant. Easy to do too. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is where the tube comes from...

this is the metal tube going into block under throttle body where it leaks
Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's o-ringed on both sides, just replace them and it should fix your problem. Unless the pipe is bent or something.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TylerB
It's o-ringed on both sides, just replace them and it should fix your problem. Unless the pipe is bent or something.

I concur. Looks like me and tempban were right. Imagine that.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yeah you dudes where right!! a lil confusing and technical but i followed. thanks for the help
Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16aej6
I concur. Looks like me and tempban were right. Imagine that.
Imgagine that, a smug ******* was right on a question that could have went either way from the half assed explaination from the OP and he had to make a childish comment about it. Way to go guy!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Imgagine that, a smug ******* was right on a question that could have went either way from the half assed explaination from the OP and he had to make a childish comment about it. Way to go guy!
Lol! It was a pretty specific explanation, IIRC, and you're just mad 'cause you live in Ohio.

P.S. Spelling can be your friend.