Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

N00b hear with a tranny problem

Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N00b hear with a tranny problem

Ok, I am running a jdm b16 with matching transmission. I have not had a problem with it until tonight. It started acting funny when I left the parts store today (needed a deep socket to install a Skunk2 upper tower bar). I pulled out of the driveway onto a road and all of a sudden with my foot depressing the clutch completely, it caught first gear. I thought I did not fully depress it and wrote it off for the time being. so fast foward to about an hour ago, I was leaving a bar with a friend and after starting the car, I could not shift into reverse without grinding the gear. So I tried getting into first and same problem. Then I tried third and fourth and the gear did not want to go. I checked the master cyclinder and it was 1/3 full. . . (not ideal, but workable). The Brake fluid was also full. My buddy over the phone was guiding me to find the slave cylinder on the tranny itself, but to no avail I could not find it. After a couple of starts and stops the car finally shifted and I limped her home. I also forgot to mention that the clutch pedal was very firm throughout checking what I did. Fianlly when I was able to get it going, the pedal went weak to the push, but not totally limp. Now I have heard that honda trannies had some issues with reverse, but I am 99% sure this is not the issue at hand. Checked the fluid in the master, but unable to on the slave.

I am almost sure it is the master or slave cylinder, but I would like to have any ideas beyond those two so when I check tomorrow, I can go over everything possible thing. I am leaning to the slave cylinder at this point.

Modified by EG6_Axle at 12:04 AM 11/8/2007
Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: N00b hear with a tranny problem (EG6_Axle)

i had the same problem. And turns out that my clutch was bad. It didnt want to shift into any gears.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: N00b hear with a tranny problem (hmtcrxsir)

That is the last thing I want to find out when I get a chance to check it out. . . : (

Well, if it is, just another to add to the engine build up. . .
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be the slave cylinder too.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: N00b hear with a tranny problem (hmtcrxsir)

That is exactly what I am thinking.

I figure when I get a chance today, I am going to try to shift the car into gear using the fork. Just to see if it is the clutch itself or one of the cylinders.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Hydro clutch system in this particular honda - JDM B16 with matching tranny - also uses the Brake system to assist it. I believe that is what happens, but I would like to get corrected if I am wrong.

Besides that, any other advice on what to check or some other troubleshooting ideas to do would be glady appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*** Update ***
Checked all around the master and slave cylinders, no fluid leaking - good thing
Had my friend depress the clutch and the slave is moving the fork into the transmission. - not sure if it is moving it the proper length or not. . . I am checking to see where I can adjust the movement for the slave cylinder and the clutch now, I think it might be possible that it is not adjusted properly.

My worst fear right now is the the throw out bearing might have kicked the bucket or the pressure plate has. . . is this a common problem with this transmission?

All fluids are - check
clutch feel is weak
trying to shift it into any gear with a light touch and not actually getting it into gear starts to move the car foward slightly in all foward gears and backwards slightly in reverse gear. I am 99% sure that means the clutch is fully engaged and is not disengaging. . .
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one way to find out
Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are not losing fluid anywhere, then the next thing I would think is the clutch release fork is cracked. That is what happened to me. You can check it by sliding the boot over that covers the release fork. Then check for free play by moving the release fork arouond. You shouldnt be able to. If you can, you have to drop the tranny to replace it. Its $40 from honda, dont forget the retaining spring too.