Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

n00b to brakes and doing rear disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b to brakes and doing rear disc conversion

I'm having a rear disc conversion done to my EJ6 next week. I called my mechanic (he works by appointment) and told him what I'm doing. I told him what I have (trailing arms, spindles, e-brake cable, etc. etc. off of a 92 Integra) and he did not say I needed anything else. Well, I was hunting inlinefour.com for some other parts I need for some engine maintenance and while in the OEM Section, I came across a Proportioning Valve and it said "a must have for cars with drum to rear disc conversions". Well then I was curios and tried to look it up but can't confirm if I actually need to swap it or anything else for that matter.

SO here's what I'm doing. It's a 96 CX. I leaving the stock front brakes on and am only changing the rear drums to discs. The setup is off of a 92 Integra. So with leaving the stock CX brakes on up front and DA brakes out back, will I need to swap any of the brake stuff under the hood?

I appreciate any input
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: n00b to brakes and doing rear disc conversion

Anybody?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll be much happier if you get a new master cylinder, prop valve, and SS brake lines.

I just got done doing the conversion about a week ago, and it's not cheap, but it's worth it. I saved about 50% by having resale discounts and free labor, and it still ran me over $700, but then again I have Project Mu pads, new rotors, stoptech stainless lines, NEW prop valve and master cylinder, NEW parking brake cables, new wheel bearings, motul fluid, and RTA spherical bearings.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you have everything that is needed. Should be farely simple although the e-brake cable may not work but I could be wrong.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SoCal EJ1
You'll be much happier if you get a new master cylinder, prop valve, and SS brake lines.

I just got done doing the conversion about a week ago, and it's not cheap, but it's worth it. I saved about 50% by having resale discounts and free labor, and it still ran me over $700, but then again I have Project Mu pads, new rotors, stoptech stainless lines, NEW prop valve and master cylinder, NEW parking brake cables, new wheel bearings, motul fluid, and RTA spherical bearings.
Well, I'll just be running stock lines for now (I'm lookin at Goodridge lines for later), regular OE Replacement rotors and Wagner pads, and some regular brake fluid. I'm not looking for high performance as I am on one hell of a tight budget. I'm only doing this now cause my right drum is scraping and I didn't want to fix it cause I've been dying to have a rear disc conversion.

Here's a better question. Can I run the stock CX parts with no problems aside from having the push the pedal in a little more till I can afford to swap out the rest?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Techy
Can I run the stock CX parts with no problems aside from having the push the pedal in a little more till I can afford to swap out the rest?
Heres whats kind of weird, the CX/DX hatches use the same proportioning valve as the '99 - '00 Si coupes, which have larger front brakes as well as rear discs, weird huh? So the way I see it even if your stock prop valve isn't optional in this situation (which it probably isn't) there really isn't anything for your specific application anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The MC should be fine as well ('92 Si's for example had 4 wheel disc brakes, but they used the same small front brakes as the CXs, they also shared the CX's 13/16s master cylinder.)
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I guess I'll run the stock CX stuff then. If it doesn't stop very well, then I'll swap the other crap. I think I have a decent return coming this year so I can afford to do a few upgrades later on. I had intended to do a lot of maintenance/repair on the ole B16 with that money but it's like my dad says: "With as important as it is for your car to go, it's more important for it to stop."
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If it was me, i'd swap to '96 - '00 EX/Si front brakes and a '99 - '00 master cylinder besides the rear dics, which honestly don't really do anything to improve braking power (I know I have a set on my sedan with stock front brakes) They do make brake jobs much easier though and the obviously look better.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PM the BrakeExpert here on HT. Trust me, he is the expert at this stuff.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
and the obviously look better.
that's the main reason I'm doing it. Once I learn how to change the brake stuff myself, i guess the easiness will also be a perk. Last time I had brake work done (front brakes) my brother did it for me

I'll get to my front brakes when I can but I can't afford that right now. After the rears get taken care of, it's engine crap first. Change the TPS, timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, cap and rotor, wires, plugs, and then either I'll continue work on the brakes or overhaul the suspension.