Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

n/a automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n/a automatic

ok... i own a 1994 automatic del sol si.... on my z6 i currently have AEM SRI, DC 4-2-1 headers, GReddy Evo2 exhaust and a cheap grounding kit.... my question is if i upgrade the transmission cooler with i be able to handle an additional skunk2 im and tb.... or would i have to upgrade the torque convertor... please help me with input
Old 08-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

I think the trans would be able to handle the extra 5HP with no problem. If you seriously plan on beating on this car (I'm sure you are), I'd do the transmission cooler upgrade anyways or just do a 5-spd swap.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: (wiZCo)

5 speed is out of the question.... this is just my college car.... i have a 99 si in my garage that's my real beauty
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (d16delsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5 speed is out of the question.... this is just my college car.... i have a 99 si in my garage that's my real beauty</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yet you're willing buy a Skunk2 IM and TB for it?

That amount of $$$ could get you a 5-speed swap homie.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 PM

i never said money was an issue... i don't have the experience to swap it and i've called every shop in a 50 mile radius and noone will do it.... and i don't have the time to be out of a car long enough to do it
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, swapping a Skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body would be a waste of money on your car.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (ddd4114)

And why do you say that... this is no street machine just a peppy to and from college car, i just got new rims and im painting it in the spring,... i want it to look good and run a good as it can for an auto....... you say it's a waste b/c it's an auto...ok... i just worked 55 hours a week since i graduated i start college next month and want to know if i can put these parts on...if it's a waste of my money let me waste it....
Old 08-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ddd4114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly, swapping a Skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body would be a waste of money on your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This was the point I was trying to make. Any mod that you do (or already have done) to that vehicle is absolutely worthless on that car, especially a "cheap grounding kit".

Spend your money on good, useful parts if you really want to upgrade it (i.e. a 5-speed swap). If you say this isn't possible but you want to keep throwing your money away, I could use some while you're at it.

Moral of the story: either get a 5-spd in that puppy or put your money into something else.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk2 intake manifolds do nothing for low end hp. they just add a bit of top end power, with an auto you will not benefit from it (unless somehow you manage to spin to 9k rpm) unless you had a y7 (the single cam with the retarded intake manifold), i would say that it isn't worth the money.
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And why do you say that... this is no street machine just a peppy to and from college car, i just got new rims and im painting it in the spring,... i want it to look good and run a good as it can for an auto....... you say it's a waste b/c it's an auto...ok... i just worked 55 hours a week since i graduated i start college next month and want to know if i can put these parts on...if it's a waste of my money let me waste it.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

You really just don't get it, do you?

OK, throw those parts on, they'll work fine, but you are literally throwing money away, as they are completely useless and you will gain absolutely no power from them.

/thread
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you say it's a waste b/c it's an auto</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually, I did not say that. You added that last part by yourself.

I said that because the intake manifold will not give you much power at all, and the throttle body is way too big for your application.

Good job jumping to conclusions though...
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ddd4114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Actually, I did not say that. You added that last part by yourself.

I said that because the intake manifold will not give you much power at all, and the throttle body is way too big for your application.

Good job jumping to conclusions though... </TD></TR></TABLE> +1
Old 08-29-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: (drtysohc)

If you want to make it a little more peppy just do a basic Intake/Header/Exhaust combo. Ittl give you a few more horses not much and it isnt going to be noticable to basically any person who places their personal *** dyno in it.
My advice to you save your money and blow it on the EM1 sitting in your garage if you want to make this thing look sound somewhat pleasing
go with
Rims/tires
new paint job
intake
header
exhaust
tinted windows
After that ittl look good sound ok and If you end up selling it it can be sold at a good prophet to some girl as their first time car because itll most likely look "pretty" and they wont have to worry about it being a stick.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any mod that you do (or already have done) to that vehicle is absolutely worthless on that car</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is the bottom line.

Any modifications that make decent power will not work well with your transmission.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:32 AM

apparently i don't get it
Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont waste your money. if you want to throw it away, i could use some.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (nabin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never said money was an issue... i don't have the experience to swap it and i've called every shop in a 50 mile radius and noone will do it.... and i don't have the time to be out of a car long enough to do it</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have the experience to do it? Then you sure as **** don't have the experience to do the tuning necessary to get optimum performance with a skunk2 IM.

A trans swap is pretty damn easy - takes a day w/ a few beer breaks if you're doing it on ramps/stands.

Don't use the whole "it's my to and from college car" bullshit as an excuse to have a slow auto Honda. My "to and from college car" is a 5 speed - ALL THREE OF THEM.

The 5th and 6th ('92-'00) civic automatic transmissions SUCK. They don't take strain well, they don't take stress well (if you're gonna ask what the difference is, look it up), and they sure as hell aren't fast.

So they're weak, they crap out fast, and they blow at transferring power to the ground.

You're not gonna see any more than 5hp with a skunk2 IM untuned. Just get a 5 speed transmission, it's really NOT hard - read this writeup:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337459

Which side if this double sided fail don't you get?

No, the transmission will not crap out from the 3.7 extra hp that your untuned manifold will give it.

Yes, the transmission will crap out soon anyways because you probably drive it like the rest of idiots your age so it'll crap out anyways.

Oh, you don't hammer on it? Then why spend in performance upgrades?

Either way you lose - the parts you're putting on won't do much for car, and even if you did, your trans can't do much to support it.

You're putting un-tuned, **** parts, on a piece of **** platform.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">apparently i don't get it</TD></TR></TABLE>

What isn't to get? We've been pretty clear so far IMO.

I'm seriously having doubts that you own an EM1 too, nobody I know considers this much modding on a secondary car of theirs.

Here's what you do: look around this site, I'm sure that there's a shop at least within an hour of you that can perform the 5-speed swap for you. Or you can try to do the pedals and shifter install yourself, then let a local shop handle the actual trans. swap. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be in business.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">apparently i don't get it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, apparently you don't. Take it from me, first hand, who spent too much god damn $$$ on "performance parts" for his automatic D16Y8 which was my daily driver. I finally get a good upgrade - a supercharger - and the transmission blows in less than 8 months. And I mean it broke... literally. I still have it and have been meaning to tear it down so I know what it was exactly, but long story short, putting money into performance parts for an automatic 1.6l is just rediculous.

I was told I never knew the value of money when I was younger because I never worked. I do now. I can not believe you're so willing to blow your money so thoughtlessly. IHE at the most and call it a day.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i call BS on you owning an SI
if you did you wouldn't be dumping money into a **** heap automatic.

go ahead and spend 400 bucks, probably more since i'm sure you won't be installing it to get 8hp at the wheels for your automatic, while you have an si that would make a lot more sense to blow money on.

SHENANIGANS !
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blk00EJ8)

It's a daily driver...meaning it's supposed to be reliable to get you to and from where you need to be EVERYDAY.

That's kind of the point of having a daily and a weekend car...a weekend car to beat on and a daily to get you from point A to point B. So, when the time comes and you DO break the weekend car, you're not on your *** without a car.

IMO, keep the daily as stock as possible (I/H/E at the most...an automatic 1.6L won't make much power, if any at all...so spending money on "performance" parts is pissing in the wind) and mod your weekend car.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

syndacate i award you with the biggest ******* on any forum i've ever been on award... why the hell do you have to be so cocky... you know if you say it in a nicer way people might actually take your advice instead of thinking your an ***... does it make you feel better to bully people around when you can't confront them face to face..... and another thing... "People my age" your a damn year older than me... prob less than..... and you know i might not be the biggest gear head ever but you tell me how an intake manifold and a auto to manual tranny swap have anything in common.. and i will install these parts myself... it's people like jkov240 seeing he's the only nice post on this thread... i know you all could care less but this forum site is nothing but a bunch of bashing people trying to get in the import scene... a bunch of knuckle headed idiots who care to damn much about how many post they have or how they can degrade someone today and not about helping when a question is asked... i will never return to this forun and i bet you people are happy about that
Old 08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">syndacate i award you with the biggest ******* on any forum i've ever been on award... why the hell do you have to be so cocky... you know if you say it in a nicer way people might actually take your advice instead of thinking your an ***... does it make you feel better to bully people around when you can't confront them face to face..... and another thing... "People my age" your a damn year older than me... prob less than..... and you know i might not be the biggest gear head ever but you tell me how an intake manifold and a auto to manual tranny swap have anything in common.. and i will install these parts myself... it's people like jkov240 seeing he's the only nice post on this thread... i know you all could care less but this forum site is nothing but a bunch of bashing people trying to get in the import scene... a bunch of knuckle headed idiots who care to damn much about how many post they have or how they can degrade someone today and not about helping when a question is asked... i will never return to this forun and i bet you people are happy about that</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually syndacate is probly one of the guys youll benefit most from, him and ek guy, there gunna tell you whats up and arent gunna give you a sugarcoated bullshit story and feed you butter and jam...

if your that serious about getting a faster car sell your rice rocket and buy a 5 speed del sol
Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought I was being pretty nice until you snapped at me...

So how about this for being an *******: you're saying you've never been criticized for your actions or decisions? Nobody has ever yelled at you or made fun of you? Get real. You will meet people like this for the rest of your life. If you just get up and quit every time it happens, you won't accomplish **** in your life. It's amazing you're so ***-hurt over a few "harsh" comments.

Welcome to life.

On another note: Syndacate, I wonder: have YOU ever done an auto to manual swap...?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto to Manual swaps really aren't that bad (however, my engine was out of the car when I did mine, so that made it easier running the lines). And trust me, the manual transmission makes a humongous difference...before I did my swap I drove a stock '94 Civic hatch JUST like mine, but it was a standard......night and day difference, I kid you not.

To the OP, just leave it stock...maybe dress it up some, but I wouldn't get too serious about it since it's your daily......oh yeah, welcome to the Internet, where people can say what they want.

And Syndacate may give off an "*******" vibe (from what I've read), but he doesn't feed you bullshit and tell you what you want to hear, as stated before.

Quick Reply: n/a automatic