Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

mystery ticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery ticking

well my engines been starting to tick so i just did a valve adjustment today. however after i was done the noise was still there. its really hard to tell where the noise is coming from. it doesnt seem like its from under the valve cover but then i dunno if the fuel injectors could tick that loud ( oh yea i just put in $25 fuel system cleaner today too) but yea ive searched a lil and found that it could be the LMAs, wut is that likliness of that? i also read about a screwdriver trick to pinpoint noise? how does that work? well those are all the questions i have for now. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks for looking
Old 02-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mystery ticking (nathanie1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathanie1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my engines been starting to tick so i just did a valve adjustment today. however after i was done the noise was still there. its really hard to tell where the noise is coming from. it doesnt seem like its from under the valve cover but then i dunno if the fuel injectors could tick that loud ( oh yea i just put in $25 fuel system cleaner today too) but yea ive searched a lil and found that it could be the LMAs, wut is that likliness of that? i also read about a screwdriver trick to pinpoint noise? how does that work? well those are all the questions i have for now. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks for looking</TD></TR></TABLE>
How do you know how to adjust valves and not know the screwdriver trick, and pour 25$ into your gas tank?
Take a long screwdriver, put the *handle* part in your ear, and probe the engine.
Are you sure its a tick and not a rattle?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you running a single cam?

I had that infamous tick before as well on my z6. did a valve lash and still had the tick 2 days later i blew 4 holed out of the block and 3 holes in the oil pan. completely destroying my rods.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:18 AM

What engine are you running??

if its a 96-00 LX/DX/CX (d16y7), it could be a cracked manifold

I did everything I could think of before I found out that the noise was coming from under the heatshield
Old 02-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I had that infamous tick before as well on my z6... i blew 4 holed out of the block and 3 holes in the oil pan. completely destroying my rods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be more of a knock than a tick, I believe. Instead of the screwdriver, you can also get a stethescope type tool for pretty cheap. I like it much better because I don't like sticking my head in the engine while things are spinning to get my ear onto the driver. And yes, the injectors can be pretty noisey.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

I vote for injectors. My car has ticked since new. Well 'used new to me' new. I think I have the noise pretty well tracked down as coming from the injectors. But then I never really cared to put much effort into it.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: mystery ticking (civic-4-ges)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic-4-ges &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What engine are you running??

if its a 96-00 LX/DX/CX (d16y7), it could be a cracked manifold

I did everything I could think of before I found out that the noise was coming from under the heatshield</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good man! My car ticks like a mother when its cold, mostly sounds like from the 1 and 2 cylinders in the head, but not *quite* the head. I'm rocking a stock y8 and have never pulled the heatshield and interested to see if maybe I have an exhaust leak when cold, then once the header heats up and expands it seals itself up? I'll have to look into that.

But to the original poster, the screwdriver trick as explained before. Basically just get a long screwdriver, and place the point of it on different parts of the engine and place your ear on the butt of the handle. You should be able to pinpoint the area the noise is coming from if not the exact spot. Its kinda like "you're getting hotter.......nope, nope, you're getting colder". Louder = closer, getting quieter = you're getting further away from the noise.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mystery ticking (jlacoy82)

im running a b16a2 and thanks for clearing that screwdriver thing up for me, kinda common sense now that i think about it, i feel dumb for asking haha

and yea its a consistent ticking that goes along with the engine it doesnt get louder or anything just stays consistent with how fast the engine is spinning
Old 02-14-2005, 01:34 PM

Try a long screw driver on the fuelrail by each injector. A faint ticking is normal from what I know.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:40 PM

Sounds to me like injector tick. My Y8 does it too, it's not as loud as my integra was though...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mystery ticking (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

haha hopefully its injector tick, i was just confused because i have a couple friends with gsrs that are no where near as loud as mine. ones turboed and another has the most abused engine known to man and it still doesnt tick as loud as mine
Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Do the screwdriver trick then and see where the noise is coming from.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My JDM B16A ticks like what you're talking bout too.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright im pretty sure its from the injectors, any way to get rid of it or am i just gonna have to get used to it? i seafoamed my engine today and imma let it soak for another day of 2 hopefully this will help thanks for everyones help
Old 02-14-2005, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure, although I'd like to know if there is a special trick to solve the Honda noisy injector problem as well. I have never read much about it other than "just ignore it" or "it's normal", or "get used to it." No, if there is a funny noise or something, I can hear it on top of my music, no matter how loud the music is... I'll admit it's because I'm obsessive.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel you man, even if i cant hear it bugs me just because i know its there almost like a 6th sense haha