Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mystery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Problem

1999 Hatch, with ghetto rigged B16 (thanks to the PO), with a really low idle. Like 200 RPMs low.

This is how she sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjGmcXhRZA

You can see the smoke that smells like gas. What could it be? I'm thinking Fuel System related thus far.

She has ran great the last few years, and now this? She get's nothing but Chevron or 76 premium gas, and regular oil changes. Had a full tune up not that long ago. The spark plugs were black.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery Problem (jdm_ekcivic)

kinda sounds like an unplugged or bad IAC
Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

firing order correct? timing correct?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery Problem (jdm_ekcivic)

"with ghetto rigged B16 (thanks to the PO), with a really low idle. Like 200 RPMs low."

Are u sure its not a wiring issue in the engine harness. If not it sound like there is a bad plug wire or the firing order is wrong.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery Problem (bunnyhatch93)

I'm the OP's brother and I know we didn't touch the timing in any way. How would someone mess with the firing order?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Mystery Problem (CRacer21)

no codes?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you compression tested or leakdown tested it? Any Engine codes? Were all spark plugs black?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery Problem (bunnyhatch93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bunnyhatch93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"with ghetto rigged B16 (thanks to the PO), with a really low idle. Like 200 RPMs low."

Are u sure its not a wiring issue in the engine harness. If not it sound like there is a bad plug wire or the firing order is wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's an OBD1 B16 running a P2T ECU, so lord knows anything is possible, but she's ran great since we got her, aside from fouling plugs on a regular basis, so I'm not totally sure. The plug wires were replaced maybe two years ago.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oneiro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneiro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you compression tested or leakdown tested it? Any Engine codes? Were all spark plugs black?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haven't had a comp or leakdown test, though I wouldn't mind doing so now. Didn't check the codes, but with the way the wiring is, who knows what codes shes throwing. It'd probably be easier to see what codes she's not throwing.

And the plugs were all black and smelled like gas.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We pulled two of the plugs and they already had gas on them but also what appears to be oil as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRacer21)

the smoke looks black, check your damn codes, clear them and see what comes back, and if "she" was running perfectly fine while fouling out (craboned up) spark plugs, theres something wrong ie. rich
as long as u have the obd1 to obd2 jumper harness, the p2t should be alright.
like said above, do compression check. the very first thing i would do is check codes, this will give you a starting point.
another thing, do u know if the ecu is chipped? how does it run off idle?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95dxsir2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dxsir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the smoke looks black, check your damn codes, clear them and see what comes back, and if "she" was running perfectly fine while fouling out (craboned up) spark plugs, theres something wrong ie. rich
as long as u have the obd1 to obd2 jumper harness, the p2t should be alright.
like said above, do compression check. the very first thing i would do is check codes, this will give you a starting point.
another thing, do u know if the ecu is chipped? how does it run off idle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Comp check + check codes.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95dxsir2)

i would say fix all the codes first. then maybe somewhere in there would be your problem. then go to the basics next if the codes dont help
Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 AM

im having similar probs, no codes and have yet to check compression. Bran new NGK wires/plugs cao/rotor fuel filter TPS sensor... I did however have some luck with cleaning the TB and related sensors. I have a feeling our prob lies within the IACV or the Map sensor. Completely clean out the intake/TB with a soft wire brush and some seafoam/deap creep and tell me what happens. maybe we can work together to solve this prob.

On a side note, ontop of the low idle does the car feel like its towing a house? I can slam the pedal to the floor and it won't move though it sounds like it wants to. And 5k+ i get some black smoke and the smell of gas.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RiceOrRocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceOrRocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im having similar probs, no codes and have yet to check compression. Bran new NGK wires/plugs cao/rotor fuel filter TPS sensor... I did however have some luck with cleaning the TB and related sensors. I have a feeling our prob lies within the IACV or the Map sensor. Completely clean out the intake/TB with a soft wire brush and some seafoam/deap creep and tell me what happens. maybe we can work together to solve this prob.

On a side note, ontop of the low idle does the car feel like its towing a house? I can slam the pedal to the floor and it won't move though it sounds like it wants to. And 5k+ i get some black smoke and the smell of gas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

We're dropping her off at the shop tonight to take care of it. We're short on time so we'll let the people that know what they're doing take care of it. It did feel like she was towing a house, and then it gain back power for a second etc... Even stalled twice on the drive home.

Modified by CRacer21 at 11:35 PM 9/3/2007
Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine only has to last a few more months, and then swap time.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 PM

cool if you would, please pass on the their diagnosis of the prob we have. good luck.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceOrRocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool if you would, please pass on the their diagnosis of the prob we have. good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Will do.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm_ekcivic)

So, the timing was off, which is funny, because the dealership was the last to touch the timing when they replaced the timing belt.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM

how many degrees was it off? Time to check the timing. thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceOrRocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how many degrees was it off? Time to check the timing. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately the sales slip from the dealer didn't mention how far the timing was off, but I'd guess a good amount. Enough for it to run like scheisse anyways.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM

so i had my master tech check my timing today. We found it to be off about 4* but the wierd part was that it was fluxuating when we set the timing. He said it might be a bad cam or valvetrain part alowing the cam to wobble.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats sucks man...
hope you can get it fixed
Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceOrRocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i had my master tech check my timing today. We found it to be off about 4* but the wierd part was that it was fluxuating when we set the timing. He said it might be a bad cam or valvetrain part alowing the cam to wobble.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, I hope that's not what my problem ultimately was. Would be quite the pain in the *** if it is.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: (jdm_ekcivic)

meh heads are cheap. and it gives the prefect excuse to do a minor cam swap.. lol Well, I searched again last night through here (HT Rules!!) and realized on long trips, ex. over 30mins my shifter gets hot. Which would lead me to believe that my cat is clogged/melting creating excessive heat/draining power. Make sure you check that too.

Quick Reply: Mystery Problem