Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my wheel and brake rotor do not turn as one. what is the problem? please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my wheel and brake rotor do not turn as one. what is the problem? please help

hello. i have a 1993 civic cx with a 96 b18b swap. so recently i started hearing this noise when im pushing my brakes coming fromt he front drivers side wheel. it sounds almost like a really rough brushing of two objects together. i dont know how else to explain it lol. so i go to the passenger side wheel and rotate it clockwise and then counter, and the wheel and brake rotor move as ONE, because the brake rotor is supposed to be squeezed between the wheel and hub right? well, i do the same test on the drivers side and they move completely seperate.

i turn the wheel and about 1/4 inch later the rotor starts moving, i tightened the lug nuts but it hasd no affect. are my bearings shot? also, i think my lower ball joints need to be replaced. how much do u think labor should cost for this? or does anyone know and can tell me how to change them out myself? im tight on money and i dont want to pay the shop $400 again to replace my wheel bearings.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my wheel and brake rotor do not turn as one. what is the problem? please help

impossible.... video please... i dont believe it...

the only possible explanation to what your saying is that the hat of your rotor has broken off from the outer disc portion which i doubt, since its not obvious enough that you would notice it.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my wheel and brake rotor do not turn as one. what is the problem? please help

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
impossible.... video please... i dont believe it...

the only possible explanation to what your saying is that the hat of your rotor has broken off from the outer disc portion which i doubt, since its not obvious enough that you would notice it.
um i will try and get a video of it soon. i work for public works, and i go to work form 630 to 330 and then i have night classes. buti will try and get a video up .

anyone have any idea as to whats going on? could they have not tightened the axle nut tight enough last time they worked on it?or does that have nothing todo with it?

someone please help.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everything is all connected physically.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get under your car, you will see 2 (i think 16mmish) bolts on your caliper.. sounds like they are loose give them a tighten. had the same problem about a month ago
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Royzie
Get under your car, you will see 2 (i think 16mmish) bolts on your caliper.. sounds like they are loose give them a tighten. had the same problem about a month ago
what do ur calipers have to do with the rbrake rotor moving seperately from the wheel?

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
everything is all connected physically.
thats what i thoguht too. so should i see if the axle nut is loose? or does that simply tighten the hub to the cv axle?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Royzie

ignore this lol....

2 posts giving technical advice? lol
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[\quote]thats what i thoguht too. so should i see if the axle nut is loose? or does that simply tighten the hub to the cv axle?[/QUOTE]

your correct axle nut will not cause your problem ( if your describing it correctly ;-) )
Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM

I have to see a video of this.....

Your wheel studs go through the holes on the rotor and the wheel. They cannot move independently unless all studs are broken (your wheel would fall off) or the rotor inner portion has completely broken free from the rotor outer portion (which I doubt) Nonetheless, I have to see this...
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to see a video of this.....
Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in for the video.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will get a video up definately tomorrow. im in class right now and i got more problems to deal with like my idle problme which ive posted a bunch of different times and got answers but nothing helped. and now apparently i got something leaking out of my car and idont know what it is or where its coming from. the only way i know is because my GF was driving behind me and said i had somethign dripping out of the middle of my car. i work at public works in brevard county florida (picking up trash and cutting grass- dont flame i get paid more than previous job+ full benefits+job security=). im 19 and i really want to keep this hatch as project car but i have nowhere to store it, i live in an apartment and have a lot of **** to pay for. so idk, i almost went to the dealership today to buy a new honda. idk what to do. i dont want to pay the shop $1000 dollars to fix everythign thats wrong with it. if anybody cares, PM me please for what i think is wrong with it if you would like to help.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and sorry for the novel, im just on the brink of being desperate for help. i dont know anyone in my area who works on hondas, except ricing them out (the outside, they have no idea about anything about their engines).
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rotor is bolt to the hub and wheels, they all should be moving the same direction/time, or your wheel will fall off if they have a delay in turning/ will not brake if rotor somehow is damage... I want to see the video too
Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for help.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay. i promise video tomorrow. how do i put videos up on here?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

youtube?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm in for the video on this. i'm sure he's probably describing it wrong. but i guess we'll see.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 PM

I thought the 'spinners' fad was dead...
Old 08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Anon51
i'm in for the video on this. i'm sure he's probably describing it wrong. but i guess we'll see.
X2
Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't believe I'm the first one to say this, but how about taking the wheel off and seeing what's going on in there?

The first thought that came to my mind is that: A) your rotor is an incorrect part, or has the stud holes larger than the actual wheel studs. This combined with a missing rotor screw and the lugs being loose would cause the rotation. (Just a note: it doesn't matter if your missing the rotor screw, but that would be necessary for that to happen) B) Your rotor is broken (very unlikely since your not experiencing severe symptoms). or C) You have more than 1 broken wheel stud.

In any case, you shouldn't worry about a video, but should be more concerned with taking that wheel off and seeing what the heck is going on in there. Probably outta check those caliper bolts anyway, just in case your eyes are playing tricks on you and something else is moving. I'm dead serious here, because if something is about to break, or already has, you are risking a loss in brakes. I wouldn't drive that car anymore until you can take the wheel off and at least verify nothing is broken. If you're unsure of what you're looking at, post a few pictures and we can help!

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dookie_707
I thought the 'spinners' fad was dead...

ROFLMAO!!!

No, but on a more serious note.. I would jack the car up and take that wheel off to investigate it. Let us know what you come across... I'm really interested in this
Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bakertime
I can't believe I'm the first one to say this, but how about taking the wheel off and seeing what's going on in there?
x56496568799754.35

Just LOOK!

If you're describing the symptoms correctly, then I'll have to guess at a couple of things already mentioned,

1) The rotor being completely broken away from the center piece.

2) More than 1 wheelstud being broken..

Either way it is desperate for attention.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Impossible

want to see video

even if rotor was cut by the wheel studs the pressure of the wheel bolted to the rotor would hold it tight enough to not spin seperate

100% SCAM POST
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Sell it.

Quick Reply: my wheel and brake rotor do not turn as one. what is the problem? please help