Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My turbo K-swapped EG build

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: My turbo K-swapped EG build

thumbs up on the progress to get er done.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that a radiator? it looks pretty cool
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
thumbs up on the progress to get er done.

Thanks brother

Originally Posted by ericwudi0830
is that a radiator? it looks pretty cool

The thing up front is my vertical-flow intercooler, most K series guys making big power use a center-feed manifold. I liked the side feed better, so I had to use this version.

Made a run to JDM-addiction to get the Ktuned EG quick-release hood hinges, and a shift ****. Went to Honda in the early AM, the guy said he'd have my gasket Saturday, weather or not that's true I don't know, it wasn't the regular guy I deal with. If not I'm going to the junkyard I think, I still have a bunch of small stuff to fix on the EG.

Name:  19251071_1592490207428756_2030211115_n.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  118.9 KB
I'll start off by saying the hinges are Version 1, and were released in march this yr. A lot needs to be improved, manly the slider on which it rides up on. When lowering the hood it likes to get stuck a lot, I did cut the skeleton out of my hood but still. Also they used cheap part-store bolts in the kit, i'm so used to the hex-head bolts they're known for that was a disappointment. Honesty I'd almost say avoid this part till they improve it, it's really lacking and could easily bend your hood and flake paint. The shift **** was perfect tho, I had a weighted junk2 **** and it felt so bad with the cable trans.

Name:  19244477_1592489940762116_1201741581_n.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  58.4 KB
Plenty of room on the brackets for hood alignment, I left the lock pins in for now it will be hell to put the hood on and off with the removed skeleton. At a later point I will be putting the turbo and up pies on, and cutting a hole for them but for now she's staying N/A.

Name:  19389534_1592489894095454_463264322_n.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  49.5 KB
This knoeb feels great, nice and light vs the heavy rock I had before. Maybe some ppl like a weighted **** on the K-series trans but I hated it, a weighted **** on a "B" linkage is awesome but never on a cable trans. don't know if the shifter needs more polishing but i'll give it a 2nd go.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So in regards to VTEC not working I just disabled the pressure switch in K-pro, seems it's a pretty common issue, i'll just keep an eye on my oil in the pan. Did a pretty good 60% throttle pull down the road, didn't want to do WOT with that oil leak but needed to test if that had fixed the vtec issues, which it did. The Timing chain cover is of again to deal with the cover seal leaking where the pulley sits, oil was leaking onto the pulley and being slung all over the place. Going to order that gasket and the one for the hole just above the tensioner where oil just re-circulates into the engine. Still need to get argon gas, so i'm limited to good old "stick" welding, made my clutch stop with a threaded 5/16th sleeve welded onto the pedal so I can adjust it as I see fit. Decided to polish the intercooler today and re-do the manifold again, as it had gotten pretty scraped up from all the messing around with the timing,

Name:  19369441_1594498930561217_1070110013_n.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  74.9 KB
Much like the spark plug tube seals its just a gasket encasing a metal ring, I just use a flat piece of wood and rubber mallet and smack the new ones in. To get it out just use a screw driver on the edge and hit it.

Name:  16700017_1594498943894549_598424279_n.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  59.4 KB
Not really sure what the point of this port is, it just blocked and lets oil sit in it. Either way I want to never has to take the cover off again so may as well do this one too.

Name:  19398517_1594499000561210_679554029_n.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  77.7 KB
Intercooler was a huge pain to get a mirror finish, it's most likely 6061 but I just used 2000G wet paper on it, I should have used 1000 or lower as it was very 'brushed". It may not look the best in the pic, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Once the car can drive/roll again it'll get it out for more pics.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I can't really post videos on here but if you know/follow my IG: frank_vleming I posted up a little baby pull I did with the car. The car is now parked, if you remember that makeshift -8an OEM hanger I made. One of the biggest issues way insolating the wires while they were submerged in gas, no heat shrink I found was advertised to do such. Plus it had sealing issues with fumes/light liquid making it's way up onto the gas tank from the hanger. While I was very much hoping this would work, it didn't. I'm going to be running the FCS race 5 gallon fuel cell with an inline Weldon d2015a pump, I know there's cheaper fuel cells but this one mounts in the stock location, and has 2 return ports and 2 feeds. Best part is it uses the OEM filler neck so I don't have to worry about making the cabin even more nasty with fumes etc. I'll be doing some more cosmetic changes to the engine too, nothing major just some little dress up items to make it look better. I'll be doing some small-stuff till I get around to buying the fuel set up.

Name:  19433521_1598876746790102_1625081532_n.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  146.0 KB
Will be nice to save some weight with the FCS fuel cell and not have to deal with this bulky nasty tank. Really it was the only thing on this car that rusted, everything else has been very easy haven't used a penetrating oil or real braker bar yet. Going to try and get the fuel sending unit out too, may as well try and sell everything I can.

Name:  19357918_1594498970561213_1282080119_n.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  39.2 KB
That eclectical tape got dissolved way faster than I ever imagined, gas is some nasty stuff. Just didn't feel safe knowing that if it dissolved more it could have grounded out in the tank and who only knows what would have happened then.

Name:  19397987_1596903800320730_2101631809_n.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  74.6 KB
Here she sits, that polished intercooler turned out well i'll be chopping out the hood exit area this weekend then I can put the hood back.
Attached Images    
Old 06-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Intercooler looks so nuts man..when you get the piping done you won't have any bumper left haha.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ontariorider
Intercooler looks so nuts man..when you get the piping done you won't have any bumper left haha.

Yah, if there's one big thing I could change, I'd go with a center-feed manifold and right-backdoor intercooler. Not even to save space for the bumper but just so it isn't so hard to put both pipes on that side(2.5/3.5) Looking under the car, the oil pan I still the lowest point but just by a hair. I still kinda want to take it to Strada or some other big GTA meet just once, only way it'll happen this YR is N/A I think but who knows.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

paint it blue and it will blend right in .:lol:
Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pigs everywhere at strada lol but that would be dope. maybe ill take my **** to a strada meet too, should be out and about in a few weeks :D

whos doing the piping btw?
Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

That is crazy how far forward that intercooler is. I mean I would remove all the spots welds for the crash bar and all extra metal around it to tuck that thing back. You shouldn't have to have the intercooler on the outside of the bumper like that.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMarv
pigs everywhere at strada lol but that would be dope. maybe ill take my **** to a strada meet too, should be out and about in a few weeks :D

whos doing the piping btw?
That's my main fear, but in the case of CSCS i'm a bit scared of leaving my car for a whole day seeing is it can't really be locked(no windows etc). I am doing the piping myself, I bought a decent TIG welder a while ago just need to find the time to practice. Whatever piping I don't need/use I can just return like I did with the fittings, would cost way too much to take a day or 2 off work and rent a truck/trailer just o bring it down. Then add the cost of labour, and buying the unit it's self made more sense I've already done some small stuff with it.

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
That is crazy how far forward that intercooler is. I mean I would remove all the spots welds for the crash bar and all extra metal around it to tuck that thing back. You shouldn't have to have the intercooler on the outside of the bumper like that.

The issue is the tucked rad, as it sits there it's about 2 inches from it. If I "butt" them up against each other i'll really be cutting air flow to the rad and with the electric pump the temps get iffy when you go WOT/idle for a while as is. That plus I don't want to heat soak the cooler it's self, the core is a 1000hp CSF core which doesn't help either.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
That's my main fear, but in the case of CSCS i'm a bit scared of leaving my car for a whole day seeing is it can't really be locked(no windows etc). I am doing the piping myself, I bought a decent TIG welder a while ago just need to find the time to practice. Whatever piping I don't need/use I can just return like I did with the fittings, would cost way too much to take a day or 2 off work and rent a truck/trailer just o bring it down. Then add the cost of labour, and buying the unit it's self made more sense I've already done some small stuff with it.

The issue is the tucked rad, as it sits there it's about 2 inches from it. If I "butt" them up against each other i'll really be cutting air flow to the rad and with the electric pump the temps get iffy when you go WOT/idle for a while as is. That plus I don't want to heat soak the cooler it's self, the core is a 1000hp CSF core which doesn't help either.
Is this a street car or pretty much a drag car?
Old 07-02-2017, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No major updates, have had several non-car related expenses to deal with. Plus it's been non-stop rain here, so work has been pretty slow as well. Cut out the hood holes for the up pipes using a 17 tpi jigsaw, worked pretty well a little cut off wheel might have been easier but this worked for me. I have no real intention of doing a bezel for it, don't need it drawing more attention. Picked up a k-tuned dipstick and PLM coil cover, of course the dipstick wouldn't fit with the baffled oil pan so I had to chop it short. Overall i'm disappointed with the dipsick, NOT cause it's too long, but even just getting it to fit sung in the VC is a struggle. Weather it's the 2 o-rings or the shaft they're on, it required a fair bit of force to get it to seat and getting it off is a struggle I've heard of others having fit issues. Maybe it's hit and miss, but if the stock one didn't look so out of place I'd say avoid it. The plm cover I'm very happy with, it plus the dip stick really finished the look of the bay for me.

This is without cutting it, I've considered drilling a hole in the baffle but i'd rather chop a sub-100 dipstick than the pan.

No real hiding he fact it's a turbo car, and the vertical flow really gives it away that it's K. Once I get my Argon gas i'll have another look at if I can move the tucked rad back without interfering with the hoses or electric water pump. Not like the interior is ever going back in, but maybe it can be shoved back and over, still going to be a pain to do the piping. Again, NOT going to heat soak the cooler or cut off flow to my rad by "butting" them up against each other. The rad is pretty damn thick it's self, probably just over twice the thickness of a regular Mishi half rad.

I don't like cosmetic only upgrades, but I feel the car was really lacking without these. No plans to polish the stick/cover the brushed metal looks real good the next thing i'll do is probably plumb the turbo, hoping to be buying big parts in under 2 months again, for now it'll be small things/slow updates unfortunately

Last edited by B_Swapped93; 07-02-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you really need to install radiator fans already.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
Man you really need to install radiator fans already.

My temp gauge rides just under half, with a coolant/water mix. I'll be draining it soon for a 100% water and water wetter mix. I was already told by the makers of each product(ktuned/SF) that if it wasn't a track car they saw no real issues. Just to keep an eye on the temp gauge, this car doesn't/won't see traffic or the day(not plated, etc) just the cooler northern Ontario nights on the highway(10*c/50*F). I'm building it around the circumstances it will see, heat really isn't an issue here like it is even further south in Toronto. Kpro displays my ETC, sooner or later i'll be using a Racepak IQ3 dash then I can really keep track of it.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Time to stop using Photobucket to host your images.

They've always been the worst, looks like it's gone even further downhill now. Most of your pictures are no longer displaying.

Use Imgur.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Time to stop using Photobucket to host your images.

They've always been the worst, looks like it's gone even further downhill now. Most of your pictures are no longer displaying.

Use Imgur.
They used to be "the spot" for all the gifs, I just noticed that they've blocked all my posts. Thanks I'll give that a shot on my next update.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good progress
Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
My temp gauge rides just under half, with a coolant/water mix. I'll be draining it soon for a 100% water and water wetter mix. I was already told by the makers of each product(ktuned/SF) that if it wasn't a track car they saw no real issues. Just to keep an eye on the temp gauge, this car doesn't/won't see traffic or the day(not plated, etc) just the cooler northern Ontario nights on the highway(10*c/50*F). I'm building it around the circumstances it will see, heat really isn't an issue here like it is even further south in Toronto. Kpro displays my ETC, sooner or later i'll be using a Racepak IQ3 dash then I can really keep track of it.
I guess thats fine and all, if you never have to sit and idle to work out kinks and tune or sit in the staging area for a while, but what you described (50*F on highway) sounds like you could possibly have another issue, due to lack of a thermostat, not letting the engine warm up.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

waiting for the update on here from IG :/
Old 07-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I saw a part out for this car

hoprfully not...
Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ontariorider
I think I saw a part out for this car

hoprfully not...
Sadly, yes.

It's game over for me boys. Posted it on just about every local buy n sell page, going to focus on getting ready for more post secondary education. I'm getting close to my mid 20's and would like to learn a skilled trade, in particular.... welding. I've been doing a lot of SMAW lately and recently picked up some argon so I can use the TIG welder. I'm also hoping to do some BIG renovations to the garage you guys see in the background. The biggest being multiple 230V outlets, I've got my eyes on some pretty cool equipment that i'll be buying this summer mainly a BIG plasma cutter and a whole slew of welding supplies. That'll be happening late august, if you guys wanna follow my IG Frank_Vleming to see my next adventures feel free. Spent the last 3 days pulling stuff and cleaning it, made my first sale today also the first day I posted stuff so i'm pretty happy about that. All I can say is it's a huge weight off my shoulders, it just wasn't fun to be dumping most of mt disposable income in this thing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

What!?!?!? No...............
Old 07-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Life happens... at least you actually had the guts to ask yourself what is more important, a hobby or a trade that could turn into a career... and actually pick the right choice...
Old 08-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you gutted/chopped da **** outta the poor shell.

Quick Reply: My turbo K-swapped EG build