Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Tranny seal on drives side blew out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tranny seal on drives side blew out!!!!

Today on the way to work, i was racing my car down the highway. Was doing fast... then i get to work 10 miles away from dubuque, and i get going down the last stretch of road and just was smoking down that road. Even got a 3rd gear scratch thats where it got real bad!!! i start to slow and i have smoke rolling from under my car, and i just coast to my parking space and pop the hood to see the damage. I look under my car, and i have a puddle and a nice trail going to that puddle. Ive had trouble wiht my drivers side seal on my tranny, so i look to see, and there is my seal blown out of its spot, and that metal ring is also blown out. I am having it towed tomarrow and thought id see your reactings. I would like to know how the hell that happened? Too much pressure or what?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: My Tranny seal on drives side blew out!!!! (zdowell17)

Manual trannies really don't build up oil pressure, there's not a pump per say in them the input shaft does most if not all of the work moving it along and spraying it everywhere, not to mention the gears are for the most part submerged in oil. Id say you had a bad seal or something on the axle like a bur or something and it just blew off. A lot of things could of caused it in my opinion. Put a new one on and inspect the axle and surface where it sits for burs. You should be good to go just keep an eye on it.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: My Tranny seal on drives side blew out!!!! (nocturnaldragon)

[IMG][/IMG]
ive never had this question answered on h-t. You see that metal ring on the end of that half shaft? are you suppose to seat that or what? ive tried to get it as close as possible but with no luck! if someone could give me some input on that it be great!!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:20 PM

does anyone know what exactly you are suppose to do for that metal ring? is it very inportant, is that maybe why my seal came out, because that ring wasnt fully seated next to that seal? someone must know?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 PM

make shure it's excatly the right seal...check the numbers onthe stock seals and compare....
ive had that problem once, where a lot of aftermarket companies had seals that didnt fit properly....or maybe ur seal was just due..theyre no more than 5$ go get yourself a couple
Old 06-01-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: My Tranny seal on drives side blew out!!!! (Jay-Dee-Em)

i have replaced it before, and the leaking was very slow, i would have to add to the tranny fluid time every 1 to 1 1/2 months. Ill try a different store this time. i have been going to oreillys alot. my question is about that metal ring that you see in that picture though. if someone could tell me about it, how to installed it closer
Old 06-01-2005, 07:06 AM

Why not goto the dealership? Thats where I got mine from and there pretty inexpensive and OEM. Be carefull tho even tho its the dealer they can still give you the wrong one. When you go in ask them about the ring, they should be more then happy to help you or get a tech that knows something about it! IVe never seen an axle like that before so I'm not sure what to tell you. If its anything like mine that should sit flush against the seal. Pm Luserkid he might know more about this then me.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: My Tranny seal on drives side blew out!!!! (nocturnaldragon)

thanks, mmm i am going to put the seal in tomarrow. can anyone tell me if i can get another one of those rings or what the deal is with it, i think mine be a little bent, not sure i cant get it to stay over that seal, anyone know anything about this?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Yeah the axle you have pictured is actually the intermediate shaft,
I know what you mean about the seating issue, mine didn't seem to want to go all the way in either but it went in as far as it could go, and I just left it at that
I agree that you should get the axle seals at a honda dealership, they are pretty cheap and they don't leak.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the snap ring has to be ALL the way in, that's why it's there, to snap the axle into teh halfshaft.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: (92b16vx)

im not talking about that ring that holds the axle in. Im talking about the metal ring thats at the end of the intermediate shaft(not the very end but close.) its that gold ring that im am confused about!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Achso, when my wife gets home, I'll look at mine, I can't remember if it is exactly flush, or sticking out some, I want to say it is not flush. Maybe I have a pic from that angle, let me look.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, close but no banana...

Anyway, if you can bolt the halfshaft to the block, than it should be as far in as it needs to be. I'll still look when she gets here.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: (zdowell17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zdowell17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not talking about that ring that holds the axle in. Im talking about the metal ring thats at the end of the intermediate shaft(not the very end but close.) its that gold ring that im am confused about!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that it is only a dust sheild to keep crap out of your seal. Mine is bent away from the seal, but it still doesn't leak out of the seal yet. I have heard of them coming totally off and sliding back and forth on the shaft, lol.

Opps, I came across this post while searching, I just realized that it was an old post after I posted, my bad.