Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's

just a heads up, i will be selling my tein ra coilovers next week, i got deal on a set of zeal s6's that i could not refuse

so basically the teins are aluminum bodied coilovers, will not rust and they weigh less than 10lbs per corner. 14k/10k springs front/rear. pillowball upper mounts. they are made for the itr. i bought them brand new in october and they have less than 5k miles on them.

the only thing that sets these apart from a brand new set is in the front i had to remove about 1/4" of thread on one side of the pillowball mounts... so it would clear the benen 3pt front strut bar... does not affect performance at all, the threads on the pillowballs are literally over 2" long which presented clearance problems. i may even sell the strut bar and coilovers as a package. anyway pics and pricing will be in a classifieds post next week unless i sell them sooner.

edit: ok, so this what i understand so far concerning a swap... if i get a 1997 jdm b18c5 longblock(obd2a), usdm itr tranny, p28 ecu, usdm gsr/itr egine harness from any obd2a/b year(1996+). plus hondata stage2. everything will bolt up and plug into my 94 civic ex coupe that is already wired for vtec... no questions asked?

NOW, the problem is that i might have to piece the longblock together with seperate parts. i may need to buy the distributor, intake manifold, tb, fuel rail, injectors, and alternator seperately... in other words i might be buying the head and block seperate and then have to get all the other parts too. so can i get usdm distributor, IM, TB, alternator, and usdm sensors to work with a jdm longblock? or do i need to get jdm parts for a jdm engine?

Modified by euclid at 4:31 AM 5/3/2003

Modified by euclid at 4:49 AM 5/3/2003
Old 05-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (euclid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so i have some questions about engine swap, first of all if i bought a new itr tranny from acura it would not include clutch and flywheel, correct? second, where would the best place to buy a gsr longblock be? lastly, is hondata completely standalone, if not what ecu should i use for an obdII b series in my OBDI 94 civic in conjunction with hondata stage 2? thanks alot
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. Anything bought from the dealer comes with nothing extra.
To use Hondata you must convert your engine to OBDI and the Hondata ECU's piggyback on the OBDI ECU's.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:11 PM

Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (Spade)

so basically my goal is to get a used usdm or jdm gsr longblock, swap out pistons for ctr, valvetrain for jun3, skunk IM, itr tb, aftermarket header and exhaust with a new usdm itr tranny... would i be ok to use an obdI gsr ecu with the hondata since the hondata will be reconfiguring the settings to be more aggressive?
i wont be getting a full swap so i need to get an idea of all the parts i will need, also assuming i get an obdII longblock,what parts will i need to change on the actual engine,,, distributor, harness, igniton, sensors, ect? thanks
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (euclid)

I'm interested in the coilovers but I'm not very good with all the technical mumbo jumbo. What I basically want to know is if I will need to modify anything on my car to install your coilovers or not? Sorry for the trouble
Old 05-02-2003, 09:52 PM

Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (dgc92civic)

no trouble at all, you will need to change the lower contol arms to the integra type R ones, i may be able to sell these as well b/c i might just pick up another set with the Zeals if the price is right.

so to clarify, to fit on a 92-95 civic or a 94-00 integra you will need itr lca's which can be found for less than 100$ for the pair. the coilovers are a direct bolt-on for the itr... i might be wrong but i dont think these teins will fit on a 96-00 civic.

and i could really use some info about this engine swap, my motor is broken i need to piece a swap together this week and i am pretty confused about the electrical aspects of an obdII to obdI conversion.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:59 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To use Hondata you must convert your engine to OBDI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to clarify, you must convert over from an OBDII ECU to an OBDI ECU using a jumper harness.

Hondata is not compatible with OBDII ECU's...
Old 05-02-2003, 11:52 PM

Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just to clarify, you must convert over from an OBDII ECU to an OBDI ECU using a jumper harness.

Hondata is not compatible with OBDII ECU's...</TD></TR></TABLE>

but why do i need a jumper harness if my firewall is already pluged for an obd1 ecu? i thought jumper harness is used for say a 1999 obd2 car that wants to swap in an obd1 1994 engine and ecu?

new questions posted in original post too, thanks alot for the help.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:06 AM

going to bed at 5am... bumb b/c i wont be awake till tomorrow afternoon
Old 05-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-If you use Obd-1 complete engine harness then its OBD-1 plug?(No adapter needed)
-I can give you some great prices on new distributors if needed let me know.
-USDM and JDM are going to work the same(throttle body, dizzy, intake mani,etc...)
you have an OBD-2 car thats its going into? Kinda confused of your situation.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:50 AM

Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (SOUNDEFFECTS)

no my car is obd1, it's a 94 civic ex vtec. i'm pretty sure i need to use an obd2 wiring harness from a gsr or itr, it will bolt into my strut tower location with no modification and then into the engine compents with no modification as well. then an obd1 p28 will connect to my firewall inside my car with no modification also. no jumper harnesses required, but i'm not 100% sure. thanks
Old 05-03-2003, 08:01 AM

For Hondata to work on a JDM motor, you will also have to buy a vtec solenoid and ground one side and run the other side to the appropriate pin on the ECU. They didn't use the VTEC solenoid in the Land of the Rising Sun...
Old 05-03-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: my tein coilovers will be for sale next week, and some engine tech q's (jonnybravo)