Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/my-suspension-grocerie-list-2004-%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%24-736253/)

137 01-16-2004 02:04 PM

My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$

Welp my car is paid off in the next two months so its time to have some fun with it this year.

I originally was just going to get a new set of wheels being that I am going to repaint the car this year too and thats gonna cost about 3 grand. (im paying cash for all of this shit btw for the cc haters)

So lets take a look at our components shall we? If anyone has any opnions about anything I have on my list please let me know any experiences GOOD or BAD with any of the products I may have listed.

Or if you can get me a better price than what I have listed then by all means you have my business' attention!?!?!?!

1. Tein Flex Coil-Over System $1280
(I considered the ss since its more conservative but to add pillowball mounts the price is the same https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif )

2. Comptech Rear Sway & Tie Combo $370 ebay anyone!!! lol

3. Carbing Type 2 front strut brace $335.00

4. 98 spec 5 lug conversion $999.00 (this is for cosmetic and wheel selection purposes flamers https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif better wheels are 5 lug. Period)

5. SRR Lower Control Arms $195

6. Rays anodized locking extended wheel nutz (they look hard to take off and other suggestions. Also considering c-west lock nutz) $150

7. Earls Stainless Steel brake lines $100.00 I know you can get these cheaper peeps.

8. Rotora Slotted Brake Rotors for ITR front and back $ 472.63 (thats final price)
I know there are cheaper and maybe even better alternatives for the money im going to spend on these... but their stuff is pretty high quality and I like the build of the brakes. So im sold

9. Motul Brake Fluid $9.75 welp I do need this shit.

10. Axis Metal Master Brake Pads $51.00

welp thats it for components... Now on to the fun stuff!!!

WHEELS
Since all of that shit above is going to cost both of my first born, my left testical and my girlfriends right titty 11 is automatically getting purchased!!!

11. 16 inch 98 spec integra type r wheels 5x114.3 700 used and abused lol.

Now I want the works, but I want the volks. So im just going to save up and buy them both.

12. 16x7 Volk Racing CE28N 10 spoke in gunmetal with "purple" volk stickers 5x114.3 (4x100 only come in 8 spoke which is TEH GHEY!) $1575

13. 16x7 Work RSR-Z 5x114.3 gunmetal with polished lip! teh sweet! $1564

Last is tires
14. 4 Yokohama avs es100 205/45/16 $324 plus 26.76 sales tax.

Like I was saying folks if there is anything on here you wouldnt buy because of a horrible experience with it then please preach on mah brotha's.

I would like to know good and bad and evil of some of these modifications...

To the haters that want to talk shit about me going 5 lug and paying a g for it...
I can make at least 800 bucks off of some dx owner for my stock set up plus some kyb agx with eibach pro kits.
and an extra 400 dollars on my 15inch 97 gsr mesh wheels which are immaculate with 99 percent tread left (all of 3000 miles on them) yoko avs es100 205/50/15

so it will pay for itself.

Anyways I hope you all will cross your fingers with me because my car is paid off so that leaves me 420 a month to purchase most of this and plus I make an extra 5 grand a month from my part time job if im lazy. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

Modified by 137 at 9:07 PM 1/16/2004

Ricey McRicerton 01-16-2004 02:11 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (137)

Do you track your car?? If not I think a lot of that is going to be waisted. You can't do much better than GCs with custom rates and Koni Yellows for the street. As far as the 5 lug, it's a waste of money IMHO. It adds unsprung weight. Also, try finding some inexpensive 5 luggers...just check over in the ITR forum about finding cheap track rims. I'm not big on slotted rotors either. Brembo blanks work just fine for me. And you sir, have entirely too much money if you can afford 2 sets of 1500 dollar rims!!

137 01-16-2004 02:23 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you track your car?? If not I think a lot of that is going to be waisted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not yet but thats pretty much going to be this car's main purpose after its replaced with the new car im looking to purchase in 2006. Lookin to get a house and some other shit first.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can't do much better than GCs with custom rates and Koni Yellows for the street. As far as the 5 lug, it's a waste of money IMHO. It adds unsprung weight. Also, try finding some inexpensive 5 luggers...just check over in the ITR forum about finding cheap track rims.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HEHE I just want the oem wheels. thats not a bad price used with tires to be quite honest for the oem 5 luggers. I work two jobs bro, first one I bring home about 4 grand a month... second job based upon my laziness as posted I can do about 5 re-fi's on peoples homes and make 1000 dollar per refi that goes through. So as you can see its very possible for me to purchase the shit and not hurt a bit. All of my expenses are covered with my first job.

I dont want ground controls adn I dont want koni's im not knocking them at all I think its a great setup, but why bother if I already own agx I could just buy the used ground controls off e bay. Id rather spend the money for what I want.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not big on slotted rotors either. Brembo blanks work just fine for me. And you sir, have entirely too much money if you can afford 2 sets of 1500 dollar rims!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe thanks, as far as the brembo blanks go, you can please believe those shits will work well for me too as I am not in a rush to buy any of these parts and slap em on.. its going to be maybe the most two items a month and I am just going to store them in my bedroom at my parents house away from my townhome so I dont have to worry about thieves.

Then when I install the shit I gotta worry about packing heat lol.

Ricey McRicerton 01-16-2004 02:26 PM

Sounds like you know what you're getting into then man!! Good luck!

137 01-16-2004 03:17 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you know what you're getting into then man!! Good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

SkyeC 01-16-2004 03:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3. Carbing Type 2 front strut brace $335.00</TD></TR></TABLE>

Total waste of money. Use a GSR bar and spend $300 on track/autox seat time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4. 98 spec 5 lug conversion $999.00 (this is for cosmetic and wheel selection purposes flamers https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif better wheels are 5 lug. Period)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better wheels? What the hell is a better wheel? All the "best" wheels are available in any lug config and size you want. No reason to make up excuses about wanting 5 lug for bragging rights. Just say so.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5. SRR Lower Control Arms $195</TD></TR></TABLE>

Waste of money. Bling bling. Put some $20-40 bushings in your stockers.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">6. Rays anodized locking extended wheel nutz (they look hard to take off and other suggestions. Also considering c-west lock nutz) $150</TD></TR></TABLE>

More bling.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">8. Rotora Slotted Brake Rotors for ITR front and back $ 472.63 (thats final price)
I know there are cheaper and maybe even better alternatives for the money im going to spend on these... but their stuff is pretty high quality and I like the build of the brakes. So im sold</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spending $480 on a set of rotors is insane when you can get lifetime warranty rotors for dirt cheap and replace them whenever you want. More bling.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">12. 16x7 Volk Racing CE28N 10 spoke in gunmetal with "purple" volk stickers 5x114.3 (4x100 only come in 8 spoke which is TEH GHEY!) $1575</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I see what you mean by best. Best meant 10 spoke CE28Ns.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">13. 17x7 Work RSR-Z 5x114.3 gunmetal with polished lip! teh sweet! $1564</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bling bling yo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">14. 4 Yokohama avs es100 205/45/16 $324 plus 26.76 sales tax. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bah. S03s, MXs, or Azenis.

Anyway, I hope you actually plan on racing with this shit and not being some retard stunna with JDM stuff that never even gets dirty. Oh wait, I missed that "2006" part. rofl.

goforbroke 01-16-2004 03:52 PM

I don't think your going to want to spend so much money on forged rims considering you are going to roadrace or opentrack the car. Because you might end up destroying those rims quick, but you make 4 grand a month so I guess you can swing it. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif
And you might want reconsider about the es100, if you are going opentrack the car. the autox/roadrace guys will help you out a little better maybe. Good luck on your setup https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

JamesQ 01-16-2004 04:00 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (goforbroke)

I think a sponsor seller was selling the srr lca's for lowered than the price you listed, but they might have just sold out.

clm 01-16-2004 04:18 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (JamesQ)

You said you wanted to road race your car, but do you mean just HPDEs or actually racing? Like SCCA ITS or SS? If you want to actually race the car, then save your money and buy a rulebook.

Otherwise it seems to be a setup you'll enjoy, though way too much money (I"m just jelous https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif ).

ricedoutride 01-16-2004 04:37 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (clm)

nice set up kinda like mine
Teins.s.
Cusco stutbars, lower bars camber kit ect
ssr lower arms coming in mail

what type of car do you have?

Smith Wise 01-16-2004 04:40 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (SkyeC)

Most of that stuff is merely being purchased for the "bling" factor, and the bragging/attention factor.

The guy has the money, so to each his own, but I on the other hand could think of a better way to spend that money.

Hell, a small investment or even a deposit into an interest bearing savings account seems like it would be wiser then wasting money on some of that ish

but again, to each his own...

Skip01 01-16-2004 06:36 PM

A lot of the stuff is overkill,but hey If i had the money I wouldn't mind having some of that stuff.I'm defintly gonna get a 5 lug,so good luck with it all.peace.

Fowler. 01-16-2004 06:46 PM

Re: (Skip01)

I'd reconsider buying all of that stuff new.

I paid 1100 for a set of used Tein Ra coilovers, which are much better than the Flexs imo.

Most of the stuff that you buy new, you can only sell for a fraction. Used usually gets you more money.

137 01-16-2004 08:30 PM

Re: (Fowler.)

Ok where to start

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Total waste of money. Use a GSR bar and spend $300 on track/autox seat time.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The money for seat time at auto x isnt a problem girlfriend. I know that there are plenty cost efficient ways to mod my car for track racing. Its not like I have 8 grand laying on the table ready to dump it on all of this shit. I will buy most of the parts minus the wheels within the next two months.

Yes the Rotora's are for bling factor, I could easily spend twice as much and get a full fastbrakes setup. But I guess that would be rediculous and ricey as well.

As far as the rays lugnuts most thieves who steal shit don't carry a long socket plug for a wrench. and a regular crossbar wont fit over those. So I would say its a good investment.

I am a stunnah what can I say.

as far as the azenis go, I can get those at 50 bucks a tire, but they make a fuckton of noise and suck in the water. The yoko's have better grip however the sidewall of the azenis are more aggressive. Make your wheels seem wider. But thats about it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyway, I hope you actually plan on racing with this shit and not being some retard stunna with JDM stuff that never even gets dirty. Oh wait, I missed that "2006" part. rofl.</TD></TR></TABLE>

2006 is when the car will be "finished" my friend... not this suspension shit. I am gonna try and knock that out this year, but yeah it would be great to get it out and race it some more. Minus the recaro's its not so fun to drive with 97 ex seats bro.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricedoutride &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What type of car do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>1999 Civic Si

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The guy has the money, so to each his own, but I on the other hand could think of a better way to spend that money.

Hell, a small investment or even a deposit into an interest bearing savings account seems like it would be wiser then wasting money on some of that ish

but again, to each his own...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Um I am a financial consultant and invest my money in a 2 different IRA's and a Mutual fund netting 37% interest. I think ill be fine in 20 years. But thanks for the suggestion!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd reconsider buying all of that stuff new.
I paid 1100 for a set of used Tein Ra coilovers, which are much better than the Flex's imo.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah but they don't make the ra's anymore, and like I said for the price with pillow mounts included thats not that bad at all. Plus I am not having much luck finding the 5 lug changeover or the suspension on sale. Not sure if I would want to buy another persons suspension however.

I know I can net 1500 dollars of most of my old stuff anyway!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most of the stuff that you buy new, you can only sell for a fraction. Used usually gets you more money.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats funny, cause I got ctr headlights for 250 and sold my stocks for 100 and then came up on a bind and sold my ctr's for 250 and got a set of stockies in return with the 250...

So sometimes you can make out, sometimes you lose!

Casey 01-16-2004 08:36 PM

Re: (137)

dont feel like reading every post, but the first few summed it up, a lot is not needed, and the srr lcas and itr lcas are incompatible

137 01-16-2004 08:41 PM

Re: (Casey)

the lca's will match the suspension purchased for the car... if I have a civic suspension then I will use the civic lca's I can keep most of the EM1 suspension components for the changeover.

Kid1320 has almost a similar setup.

SkyeC 01-16-2004 08:50 PM

Re: (137)

Not sure what you mean by the LCAs matching the suspension you buy for the car... You can only use 96-00 LCAs... EG/DC doesn't fit...

You and Kid1320 can park together at shows. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

xerox445 01-16-2004 08:55 PM

Re: (SkyeC)

well it seems like its going 2 be a killer setup, if you got the money, spend it the way you wish, your car.

u2civic1 01-16-2004 09:00 PM

u should get some seats like recaro or bride (one of my best mods i did to my car)

but it not really suspension

Ya@inlinePRO 01-16-2004 09:08 PM

looks like a FUN ass plan you got there bro. congrats with finishing the payments.

definately good parts if it will become a track/race car.

VX 01-16-2004 09:53 PM

Re: (kwik2nec)

Instead of getting the Tein FLEX's i would go w/ what Ricey McRicerton suggested...

Getting some Neuspeed Koni Yellows, Ground-Control coilover sleeves and custom Eibach ERS spring rates for your car. And some Ground-Control upper mounts.

Why you might ask?

B/c many people on this MB have used Koni Yellow shocks w/ upwards of 500-600 in/lb. spring rates. before needing a revalve job.

The Tein Flex's can't handle those kinda rates, how do i know this? B/c i personally e-mailed Tein and asked them what the maximum spring rates they could handle... here is Tein's reply:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TEIN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In regards to your question. The Flex kit that we offers for the 1993 Civic will bolt on to your stock lower control arm without the need of a
replacement. The shock body is made out of steel with a Teflon coating on
the shell casing to prevent rust and corrosion. The maximum spring rates
that you can increase without the need of revalving is 10kg (559 lbs) in
front and 6KG (336 lbs) in the rear. Please contact anyone of our sales at
the office for further assistance.

Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension Products.

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)633-7387
Fax: (562)633-7291
http://www.tein.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

As you can see the Tein FLEX rear shocks can handle up to about half the maximum spring rates that the Koni Yellows can handle.

Plus if you do get the Teins, you'll get whatever spring rates that comes w/ the kit, w/ the Koni & GC set-up you get to choose your own rates.

Also you might want to add front and rear camber kits to your list as well. I'd go w/ Skunk2 for the front and SRR for the rear.

Just my $.02

FcUK It. 01-16-2004 09:58 PM

WOW, why dont you just get a nicer car instead of putting all that money into a honda. even if you have all that shit, its still a honda. you should just get a bmw or something since it sounds like you can afford one. you sir, are an idiot, hahaha

137 01-16-2004 10:59 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (u2civic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u2civic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u should get some seats like recaro or bride (one of my best mods i did to my car)

but it not really suspension </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sold my recaro's didnt like em! They were nice seats but the mounting materials for the seats that come with the rails sucked. and the seats always moved out of place. I had to re adjust the seat every other day.

I am looking into some zeta 2's maybe next year, depends on how hard I want to work... mind you im trying to get this shit painted and get some body parts too.

and as far as getting a nicer car... maybe you didnt catch the part about I want to get a house or an engagement ring for my girl this year.

carpayment doesnt help get furniture.........

besides I just ride around in my girls is300 all the time, she hates the civic https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Bling Bling!!

Modified by 137 at 12:10 AM 1/17/2004

137 01-16-2004 11:10 PM

Re: (VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Instead of getting the Tein FLEX's i would go w/ what Ricey McRicerton suggested... </TD></TR></TABLE>
https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif
Man I miss the beer smiley. Anyway This is good stuff, I would really consider getting the whole seperate deal but I might as well just throw some gc's on my kyb agx and forget the whole coil over movement...

I was more drawn by teins excellent customer support, product support, and the teflon coating with the suspension kit plus the inclusion of the pillowball mounts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also you might want to add front and rear camber kits to your list as well. I'd go w/ Skunk2 for the front and SRR for the rear.
Just my $.02</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont really like skunk products at all but a lot of people recommend their front camber kits, however w the 5 lug conversion I will be unsure of which one to get. the R or the Si component.

Nader_D 01-16-2004 11:11 PM

Re: My suspension grocerie list for 2004 $$$$$$$$ (SkyeC)

SkyeC:

couldnt have put it better! bling bling! seriously man, you have way to much money to dump in to this car of yours. like other people have said, waste of $, save it up and get a better car, not to flame honda, i love em! and if you really want to dump all this $ into it, dont get 17's, 5 lug is bascially cosemtic, most rims you can get 4x100 because Honda's are so common, everyone makes their rims 4x100.
Most of the stuff you listed is just bling mods. sure i like how the SRR lca's look, but is it really worth all that money! just get gsr ones or whatever, not sure about that

ps: i didnt see naything about motor work!
good luck!