Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:29 PM
TTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!????

Ive had exaust problems for quite a problem now...
Keep in mind this is a stock factory honda exaust on a 97 ex

First it was a weird vibrating noise at idle, like a clicking or clanging.

then it was a complete vibrating brruhhh when ever i shifted,

finally, all the vibrating noises are gone and my exaust sounds like a fart can. It is very low like i have no muffler at all. When i rev, at about 4 grand you can hear noticible vibrating but at 2-3 its a normal low buuuuuuuuhhh

This sounds like some kind of seal that was in the process of breaking, and finally died.

Any ideas???
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (Senses Fail y0!)

Yeah have you checked for exhaust leaks?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 PM
TTM

how do i check for leakes?
I did a quick once over, and there were no obvious mis-connections. Every thing seemed to be hooked up, and there were no gaps in the piping as far as i could tell.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (TTM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TTM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive had exhaust problems for quite a problem now...
Keep in mind this is a stock factory Honda exhaust on a 97 ex

First it was a weird vibrating noise at idle, like a clicking or clanging.

then it was a complete vibrating brruhhh when ever i shifted,

finally, all the vibrating noises are gone and my exhaust sounds like a fart can. It is very low like i have no muffler at all. When i rev, at about 4 grand you can hear noticeable vibrating but at 2-3 its a normal low buuuuuuuuhhh

This sounds like some kind of seal that was in the process of breaking, and finally died.

Any ideas???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your cat, resonator, or muffler baffles have broken down (slowly gets louder) and now it is not muffling the sound anymore. The cat actually is just for emissions, but muffles the exhaust tone quiet a bit.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:08 AM

resonator, more than likely, grab a towel or old shirt, put it over your muffler & listen for where the muffler sound leaks out from after you close that muffler off.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 AM
TTM

good idea
Old 10-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TTM)

If it turns out there are no leaks you can buy new oem parts to fix your exhaust or an aftermarket catback. sounds like what was said above that its just worn out, and that it is not muffling the sound anymore.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (TTM)

mine does the same thing......but i can see a huge *** rust spot on my muffler where layers of metal have flaked off from rust. Never tested it but im sure thats wy my exhaust is much louder. I just ordered a aftermarket catback exhaust.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a faulty catalitic converter.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (STREETWERKZ)

If it isnt the muffler cat or resonator, get some soapy water and squirt it on the piping, esp. at the welds and the flanges, and look for bubbles, then you'd be able to find your exhaust leak

This doesnt work if your piping is TOO hot
Old 10-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (regimeow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by regimeow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it isnt the muffler cat or resonator, get some soapy water and squirt it on the piping, esp. at the welds and the flanges, and look for bubbles, then you'd be able to find your exhaust leak

This doesnt work if your piping is TOO hot </TD></TR></TABLE>
That won't work actually unless you have your entire exhaust submerged in water, just think about it for a minute.

Mine does this also I think it's my carsound cat heard they break down quick.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked your headers for a leak?... my bros prelude did something like what your describing and found out it was a exhuast leak in the headers
Old 10-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (IknowYou)

either blew out the cat, or also could be a loose O2 sensor. (had that happen once)
Old 10-01-2005, 02:15 PM

replace your muffler bearings, flush all exhaust fluids.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (bling bling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bling bling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

replace your muffler bearings, flush all exhaust fluids.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut the **** up! Stupid people like you need to be kicked in the head. Seriously, way to ******* go! Cause this thread just went to ****.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (Bond)

Well my friends just did this on a 97 lx, the piping that ran into a stock muffler, on the top of that pipe right before the muffler it was all rotted out and rusted through. So I just bolted up an axle back exhaust that I had and made some hangers for him and now its all fine again.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (bling bling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bling bling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
replace your muffler bearings

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess youve watched the whiplash videos befor??
Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can have a hole in your exhaust piping
Old 10-02-2005, 04:04 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my stock exaust sounds like a ricer fart can, seriously WTF!!!!???? (Ajohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can have a hole in your exhaust piping</TD></TR></TABLE> Yes, but it sounds like what the thread creator is describing.

I understand that you did a once over and you didnt find anything. However you cant really see on top of the muffler, cat, or pipes. I have seen where they rust up there and you cant really see it unless you feel for it. Also while your there give all your pieces a good tug to make sure they are tight. Good luck

Edit: If it was vibrating before it started making the noise, thats a good sign something was coming loose and now it is seperated.