Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Sol Just Quit On Me! Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sol Just Quit On Me! Please Help!!

I used to be an active member a few years back but had to get a new screen name so I am sorry for this being my first post. Anyways....

I was driving back home from my parents house and I stepped on the gas after the light turned green and my car froze and died. I am not sure if I flooded the engine but this is the first time it happened.
So I just stepped on the gas, not hard and it jerked and shut off. I turn it over and it will click over (I assume the noise I hear is the starter working) but it just won't turn over. The lights work and everything so its not the battery. I have a half tank of gas. I have plenty of oil.
I took it to Jiffy Lube a week ago for an oil change and a radiator flush. I drove it over 600 miles since then. But this is the first time anything like this has happened. I never take my car to Jiffy Lube because I don't like people tinkering with my car.
I am really hoping this is an easy fix so I can get my car started so I can go to work in the morning. I kinda put in my two weeks today so I can't really miss work, especially without a new job yet.
It's a 95 del Sol, D15B7, AEM short RAM intake, 2.5" exhaust. I think that's all the non-cosmetic mods it has. But yea, it's ran fine lately. No problems over the weekend when I drove it 600 miles.
Please post some suggestions and things I could try tomorrow morning. Any help will be truly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: My Sol Just Quit On Me! Please Help!! (bry95sol)

well first thing is first check and see if ur battery is dead. if so its ur alternator. or ignition coil or somthing in the ignition system. gl with that
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM

Just because the lights come on does not rule out the battery. In my car, if the battery power is too low, the lights will still come on but the car will make a clicking noise when trying to start.

Also, I'm having trouble with my ignition coil, where the car will turn over but refuse to start. Also, when it is cold and first run, it 'hiccups' when I apply the gas pedal. This is a problem with the ignition coil, and I will be replacing it soon. This may also be your problem.

Another place to check is the alternator, like bry95sol suggested. My alternator is also failing, and it is producing way too many amps for the battery, causing it to boil. This kills the battery every 3 to 6 months. You can tell this is happening if the terminals are heavily corroded, and you see a wet stain around the battery covers.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: My Sol Just Quit On Me! Please Help!! (antaren)

The red terminal was freshly corroded on the battery and it was pretty thick.
thanks for your help.
Any other suggestions?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 AM

Take the battery to autozone, have them test it and the alternator to find out exactly whats wrong. Do not take their readings as fact, I had a dead battery that they said was perfectly good.

Spend the extra money to buy a battery that has a 1 or 2 year warrentee.

You will want to consult someone about the ignition coil. Its a small, cheap part, but if I'm correct you will loose your timing when you take off the distributor, and you will have to retime the engine. This is not easy to do on a DOHC engine. I could be wrong, I haven't replaced mine yet or researched exactly what I need to do.