Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My reverse is messed up!!!!

Old 06-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My reverse is messed up!!!!

Ok ill make the long story short...

I was drving to the store, parked my car, went inside, came back out...

I try to put my car into reverse and it is locked out...
So I do the thing where you put it in 1st then 2nd then reverse..Still no luck..

I put the car in first roll forward afew feet, then try to put it into reverse still no luck, it is locked out.

I literally spent 5 mins trying to get my car to go into reverse!!!!!!!!!!

So then to get out of the parking spot I had to push my car backwards then pull out of the spot.

I drove around for about 5 mins and I stoped at my friends house then I put it in reverse and I went in with alittle bit of effort but it finnally went in.

Can anyone take a guess on why I had to push my car to get out of the parking spot?? Im so confused
Old 06-22-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: My reverse is messed up!!!! (Honda_b16a2)

Sorry I cant be of any help but OT: How does that 7.5lb flywheel feel? Is it still daily drivable?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only make some suggestions.

Is the tranny fluid low?
Has this happened all of a sudden or were there signs? Hows shifting 1 - 5?
Shift linkage is on right, shifter bushings are ok?

Tips if you can't get it into reverse and you need to back out incase this happens again.

- Try and roll it BACKWARDS then put it in reverse. Most likely it will grind but go in.

- Rev it slightly then go into reverse. That will also most likely make it grind but it should work.

- Put it in nuetral, push the clutch in, let go of the clutch, push the clutch in again and try to go into reverse. It should work because I believe it stops the input shaft bearing making it easier to get into reverse.

- Push the clutch in and try to go in reverse. While applying some pressure on the shifter in reverse slowly lift up the clutch pedal. It should line up whatever is not aligned.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: My reverse is messed up!!!! (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can only make some suggestions.

Is the tranny fluid low?
Has this happened all of a sudden or were there signs? Hows shifting 1 - 5?
Shift linkage is on right, shifter bushings are ok?

Tips if you can't get it into reverse and you need to back out incase this happens again.

- Try and roll it BACKWARDS then put it in reverse. Most likely it will grind but go in.

- Rev it slightly then go into reverse. That will also most likely make it grind but it should work.

- Put it in nuetral, push the clutch in, let go of the clutch, push the clutch in again and try to go into reverse. It should work because I believe it stops the input shaft bearing making it easier to get into reverse.

- Push the clutch in and try to go in reverse. While applying some pressure on the shifter in reverse slowly lift up the clutch pedal. It should line up whatever is not aligned.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well after I had the car pushed out, I drove it for about 5 mins and then I went into reverse fine. This is the only time this has ever happened thats why I was like WTF? 1-5 felt ok...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp5o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry I cant be of any help but OT: How does that 7.5lb flywheel feel? Is it still daily drivable? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I love it, it is still drivable it revs up much faster, if people tell you 7.5 lbs. is to light for a dd car, then they are on crack. Get it, it is worth it
Old 06-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seems like this was a freak thing unless you keep having trouble. Sounds like one time i was at a red light and when it turned green i couldnt get into first for like 5 minutes. Man so many people yelled, cursed and gave me the finger. Hasnt happened ever again, i guess it was just a freak thing. Just hope thats what urs was.

Anyway FREE BUMP
Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My reverse is messed up!!!! (TurboEM1)

for me i have to put it on 4th then to reverse
Old 06-22-2005, 05:57 PM

happens to me sometimes. but you said you put it into first then seccond then reverse. i though reverse lock was just first then reverse. Slowly lifting off the cluch while puttin pressure on the shifter towards reverse always works for me.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My reverse is messed up!!!! (TsukubaDreams)

the 1st through 2nd doesnt work for me IMO I go 4th to reverse works better imho
Old 06-22-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: My reverse is messed up!!!! (DoctorVtec)

1st to reverse here
Old 06-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My reverse is messed up!!!! (Aphelion)

Mine did that after I first did my swap, I was getting ready to back out of the garage and I was like what the ****, they sold me a bad tranny. so then my friend said put in 1st then 2nd then try again and it did, man I was relieved. But one day i was at this intersection makeing a left turn so i'm in the middle turning lane and this huge semi takes left turn comeing west while my car was facing north, so he wasn't gonna make it unless I backed up, and then it happened. It would not go, So i was shifting into every gear, revving it, ******* forcing that bitch in, and then after a minute it went in and I back up. i made the truck come to a full stop becasue he saw i wasn't backing up yet. Man that was scary and embarrassing at the same time. But anyway I hate that ****.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate when that **** happens.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My reverse is messed up!!!! (hondadriver)

I have had this a few times too. Often I will put it into 1st the reverse or 3rd and reverse. I had a problem with this happening more often before I switched to Honda MTF and it has basically stopped.